Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 pm

Your salmon dish sounds great.

Tonight is sea bass fillets, simply fried, with sauté potatoes and a fennel salad.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 pm

Thanks EM, cooking helps me to relax tbh! I only work 3 days a week so it’s not so bad. Plus it’s half term :limbobanana Are you still looking after your granddaughter?

Lunch today was potato tortilla with flaked smoked mackerel and spring onions. Served with rocket and a blob of sour cream with a tiny bit of horseradish in it.

For dinner we ended up having Nigel Slaters lemon, garlic and thyme chicken thighs with greens and potatoes.

We have a few mini panettone in a tin left from Christmas so we made an impromptu dessert of baked sliced panettone with blood orange, blackberries, marmalade liquor, pecans, honey and vanilla custard. Served burn your mouth hot with a drizzle of cream over. I’m not a fan of bread and butter pudding usually but this was a great version!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:11 am

I had a simple meal of a (wild) salmon fillet in a teriyaki marinade cooked on the grill pan and served with new potatoes, tenderstem broccoli, green beans.

But for once I got everything “just so” and my sense of taste worked well and I could taste it all. Yum. That salmon was the nicest thing I’ve tasted in months.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:00 am

We have been having dude food in efforts to use minced beef chuck remaining from a few days ago. Hamburgers and fixings on my brioche buns .

Nice salmon meals going on. I too have a set of wild salmon pieces in the freezer that are coming up for something. Cioppino perhaps ...

Stokey, you must be very happy with your taste buds :D

Mardi gras in the time of Covid19 KDKA! :shock: How is that working with BBQs and Carnival? :? Big no-no in New Orleans this year.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:05 pm

On Sunday we had our Valentine dinner courtesy of Rick Stein, details on yesterday’s WAC thread.

Last night we fancied something light and fresh so it was poached salmon on a bed of edamame salad with red chilli. Hit the spot.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:00 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I had a simple meal of a (wild) salmon fillet in a teriyaki marinade cooked on the grill pan and served with new potatoes, tenderstem broccoli, green beans.

But for once I got everything “just so” and my sense of taste worked well and I could taste it all. Yum. That salmon was the nicest thing I’ve tasted in months.

Good news!! It's certainly taking its time getting back to normal.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:24 pm

I’m not quite back to normal yet - I seem to have largely recovered from the anosmia (lack of smell) but still an issue with parosmia (distorted taste and smell) though I think that’s improved a bit - toast is no longer disgusting

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 pm

While foods and drinks that are usually OK have not been, have you found that eg coriander, which I think you normally avoid (?) is acceptable? I just have a feeling you might have mentioned in the past that coriander is not one of your favourite tastes! Or maybe I'm getting muddled :oops:

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Mardi gras in the time of Covid19 KDKA! :shock: How is that working with BBQs and Carnival?

Nothing going on here, ZC, apart from a boozy crooning party across the valley which went on all day yesterday :? :lol: :lol:
Carnival in Vzla is more to do with kids putting on fancy dress and everyone else going to the beach.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:While foods and drinks that are usually OK have not been, have you found that eg coriander, which I think you normally avoid (?) is acceptable? I just have a feeling you might have mentioned in the past that coriander is not one of your favourite tastes! Or maybe I'm getting muddled :oops:

I haven’t found anything I normally avoid that’s ok, though I haven tried hard
Coriander I usually love, but all parts of the plant from root to seed are currently really nasty

Postby Kacey » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:44 pm

Made a couple of jars of harissa this morning (in between work!) Having the spicy roast potatoes with tahini & soy from Ottolenghi's Flavour (cannot leave that book alone) and discovered I didn't have harissa in the fridge. We're having them with M&S Plant Kitchen No Chicken Kievs, these are my current dirty secret. We eat very little junk food or ready prepared foods but I have to admit to a real liking of these Kievs. My other dirty secret is the Nacho Bean Burgers from Iceland!

Last night I let OH have bangers & mash, I had a very small white cabbage that really needed eating or chucking, so I just plain boiled it for 10 mins, it was surprisingly nice! Haven't eaten cabbage as vegetable with a 'dinner' for ages, these days its all roasting wedges of it in the oven with various sauces.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Tonight I will stir some smoked salmon, chopped spring onion and a dab of crème fraiche through tagliatelle.

Maybe we will follow it with drop scones as a nod to Shrove Tuesday.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
KeenCook2 wrote:While foods and drinks that are usually OK have not been, have you found that eg coriander, which I think you normally avoid (?) is acceptable? I just have a feeling you might have mentioned in the past that coriander is not one of your favourite tastes! Or maybe I'm getting muddled :oops:

I haven’t found anything I normally avoid that’s ok, though I haven tried hard
Coriander I usually love, but all parts of the plant from root to seed are currently really nasty

Ah, that's it, I had a feeling you'd mentioned coriander in some context or other!

One of my other friends who also had parosmia said that fortunately for her, it sorted itself out pretty quickly. She had it just before Christmas.

Postby Amyw » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Kacey wrote:Made a couple of jars of harissa this morning (in between work!) Having the spicy roast potatoes with tahini & soy from Ottolenghi's Flavour (cannot leave that book alone) and discovered I didn't have harissa in the fridge. We're having them with M&S Plant Kitchen No Chicken Kievs, these are my current dirty secret. We eat very little junk food or ready prepared foods but I have to admit to a real liking of these Kievs. My other dirty secret is the Nacho Bean Burgers from Iceland!

Last night I let OH have bangers & mash, I had a very small white cabbage that really needed eating or chucking, so I just plain boiled it for 10 mins, it was surprisingly nice! Haven't eaten cabbage as vegetable with a 'dinner' for ages, these days its all roasting wedges of it in the oven with various sauces.

I love those Kiev’s , they’re amazing . You wouldn’t think they were vegan at all

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Lunch was an omelette with home-made watercress pesto and tomatoes.

Last night we had this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/zaat ... with_26334

Some of the chickpeas went rather lovely and crunchy. A nice idea and dead simple. Of a pack of two thighs and two legs we've got the legs left for tonight, and a few chickpeas - we only used one tin. We will probably have them with roast broccoli and cavolo nero (that needs finishing up) and will make some more garlic yogurt.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:57 pm

M&S oven cook battered haddock with potato wedges and mushy peas :thumbsup

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:01 pm

EM - I think there is less fish on the menu as OH isn't working at the moment so is insisting on doing all the chores. This is lovely - but he finds going to the shop that sells nice fish a pain. We actually said at the weekend we aren't eating enough. So last night we had some friends over (sorry - we only have 1 active case and that is someone who tested positive in quarantine on arrival) and I made Cioppino - which I love. We had that with crusty bread.

I'm not sure how the leftovers will reheat - but that is the plan for dinner.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 pm

I was going to make an impromptu Thai style green tofu curry using a kit, but realized the kit weas really old, and chickened out. And the tofu was well past it's date... so instead Malaysian style curry (paste from a Wing Yip trip before lockdown) with cashews, Quorn chicken style pieces, mushroom and green beans.
I needed coconut milk for it. There has been a can of coconut milk that has presented itself every time I have tried to find a tin of just about anything else. And could I find it this time? No, of course not. So I used creamed coconut. Which might be why the result looks a bit on the oily side. Tastes nice though.

But clearly a cupboard tidy and cull is required. We probably bought more than usual in the run up to likely lockdown and Brexit.
Last edited by herbidacious on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm

I found 5 cans of coconut milk when I turned out the rather full 'can cupboard' the other day!

Rocky, good to hear your cases are so low. You deserve it after all you went through before - and how nice of your OH to be doing the chores!

I wasn't very hungry tonight as I ate a hard boiled egg earlier and so ended up with some ready prepared Oriental style stir fry mix to which I had added ginger, garlic and soy sauce and mixed in some ready to use pilau rice which I didn't realise contained cumin and salt. I had only bought it for extra Nectar points. Let's just say it filled a gap :lol:.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:33 am

5 cans of coconut milk, EM???

Time to make a piña colada - with Venezuelan rum, of course :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox