Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Will we all be chilli copycats this week? :wave

I'm not keen on white or red beans, but found a black bean burger recipe which ought to work, maybe with added toms, or not. The cheese can be reserved for a loaded potato skin and the crumbs to top that.
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/best- ... ipes-66440

For tomorrow though, as a cod loin is defrosting for tonight, enough for a "piece" (baked) and 3-4 fish fingers probably.

Renée, congrats on your new toy; I bet you can't wait to take scenic shots, once lockdown eases, for which you have a good eye. Looking forward to those :)

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:12 pm

Minced lamb with macaroni for us tonight.

"Yotam Ottolenghi's comfort food recipes | Food | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... conut-bowl

Postby Amyw » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:33 pm

Had one small fillet of salmon and a couple of frozen prawns rattling round in a bag so made a tomato and spinach sauce and had with pasta

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:24 pm

Trying to give OH a rest from cooking, so ordered a vegetarian platter from a local restaurant. They deliver to your door on a large platter.

Although sold as 'For Two Persons' there was easily enough for four platefuls (and desserts - tiramisu and lemon posset), so we know what we're having for lunch tomorrow.

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:49 pm

Binky, that looks so tempting with a very decent assortment on the plate :) Impressive.

Postby Renee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:37 pm

What a lovely plateful Binky!

Postby herbidacious » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 pm

Tonight, I made okonomiyaki, at last. And very nice they were too. I tried to make them somewhat authentic, so I used kombu dashi and tenkasu in the pancake, and Kewpie mayo and Otafuku okonomiyaki sauce and aonori on top. Some pickled red ginger might have been a nice addition
Not surprisingly, I was unable to source nagaimo - wild Japanese mountain yam... :)

50963632336_3d945e3729_c.jpg

Red plastic bowl inthe background was given to me by Japanese ex-flatmate when she went back to Japan c. 1989. It's very '80s but handy for using with my kitchen scales and it seemed fitting to use it today, as the first itme I had okonomiyaki was with her and her family in Yokohama... nearly 14 years ago.

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:59 pm

Love the photo of okonomiyaki. We had this in Japan. It was at a fairly basic restaurant, and you pointed at pictures on the wall. We were helped by a crowd of Japanese businessmen relaxing after work with beers and their okonomiyaki. They were so friendly and eager to practice their English. Good memories.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:29 pm

Wow, some delicious looking and sounding food on here. Loving the look of the Japanese dish especially but I could eat everyone’s, happily :D

Highlights of today’s food have been some salmon for brunch. It’s the second time we’ve bought Pished Fish from our local deli. We’ve tried a beetroot cure and today we had the whisky and maple syrup cure. It’s probably the best smoked salmon I’ve had. It’s pricey though (and the kids shovel it down at speed :shock:) so it’s an occasional treat.
https://www.thepishedfish.com/

Part of tonight’s mezze was cubed aubergine cooked with smoked oil, s&p and finished with a squeeze of lemon juice. The combination of smoked oil and the slightly burnt edges of aubergine were so good.

Also went for a walk with my best friend and she supplied her delicious flourless chocolate cake to take home so all in all a very good food day!

Postby herbidacious » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:30 pm

Yes it was not tourist fodder, at least when I went back in 2007 (and unheard of in the west at the time, although it did temporarily become poplular here not long after.) We wouldn't have known about it, or gone to the place we went to, had I not met up with my friend. Even with pictures, vegetarian eating out was a bit of a minefield in Japan.

I am craving mezze, OMCO. But I do rather want someone else to make it for me!

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:51 pm

jeral wrote:Renée, congrats on your new toy; I bet you can't wait to take scenic shots, once lockdown eases, for which you have a good eye. Looking forward to those :)

Thanks jeral! Yes, I am looking forward to using my new camera. I bought a book all about this particular model which has 197 pages. :o I have no chance of understanding most of it. I am finding it very difficult to understand a lot of modern technology!

Postby Kacey » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Made a very decadent cheese pie last night, loved it. Tonight will be curry as I have a couple of aubergines to use up.

Herbi, if you're hankering after mezze food, do you know Bubala? - https://bubala.co.uk/ I've not eaten their food myself but I have used their recipe for the halloumi in black sauce and if mine was delicious I'm sure theirs would be.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Tonight will be oxtail casserole with parsley and horseradish dumplings.
Leeks and Brussels to accompany.

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:52 pm

Renee wrote:...[clip]...
[re new camera]

I have no chance of understanding most of it [the book]. I am finding it very difficult to understand a lot of modern technology!

I feel your pain :D I'm a "get there eventually" sort, although some posters on here are worth asking I'd say if you get stuck.

My radio has been playing up for ages telling me I have to download an upgrade yet it doesn't seem to have ports by which I could connect it to the internet. Confused, moi? Yup.

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Kacey wrote:Made a very decadent cheese pie last night, loved it. Tonight will be curry as I have a couple of aubergines to use up.

Herbi, if you're hankering after mezze food, do you know Bubala? - https://bubala.co.uk/ I've not eaten their food myself but I have used their recipe for the halloumi in black sauce and if mine was delicious I'm sure theirs would be.

What's a "very decadent cheese pie" please?

You might have to kindly post the halloumi recipe essentials as that website says they're not accepting orders and not much else, unless I'm missing a recipe section?

Postby Kacey » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:00 pm

I used 1 large potato, mashed, one red onion chopped and caramelised, all added to lots of grated cheddar, wensleydale and gruyere, with the green parts of a bunch of spring onions added. All shoved inside shop bought puff pastry. Decadent to me because if was mostly all cheese in the filling and I didn't have to depend on my hit & miss pastry skills.

The halloumi recipe from Bubala is simply a block of halloumi halved and griddled with a black sauce made up of: toasted and ground black peppercorns, nigella seeds, coriander seeds plus chilli flakes added to warmed honey.

The sauce also works well with baked feta cheese.

I think you can order the veggie mezze for 2 via Dishpatch

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Many thanks Kacey. The black sauce sound intriguing and is quite new to me so is one to try as I have the ingredients.

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:01 pm

That black sauce sounds amazing

Postby herbidacious » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:15 pm

How did I miss Bubala when I was looking for an anniversary meal?! I will definitely do that at some point for a treat if I can persuade husband.

Jeral sounds like your camera is a bridge camera? Or a mirrorless one? Does it have interchangeable lenses?

If you play with aperture, then you can alter the depth of field to nice effect. Low number = shallow depth of field = less of the background is in focus. Big number means you get more background in, so good for landscapes. Your camera will automatically set the right shutter speed for it all to work. But Ai is fine, I am sure.
My first ever (film) camera had this, but instead of mentioning aperture, it just stuck symbols on it: one person, two people, or a mountain for landscape. It worked very well! Really it's not new or more tech. It's old tech giving you more flexibility should you want it.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:20 am

I had sausage, mash and gravy for dinner. I've not had that since (long) before Lockdown I. i.e. last time, it would have been in a pub. I hit the spot.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox