Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:27 pm

Great photos Amy and Smitch.

Last night we had seafood tacos with crispy skinned seabass and king prawns. Lots of sides, dips, charred corn and salad bits with it.

I've marinaded some chicken in yoghurt, herbs and spices for tonight. I'm out at pilates so OH will be cooking whatever it turns out to be. Reminds me of that Masterchef challenge where someone starts a dish and the next person has to pick up the rest of it :D

Postby RockyBVI » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:13 pm

SG - by complete coincidence we are having smoked salmon with linguine too!

Postby liketocook » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:38 pm

Gorgeous smitch :yum
Must be salmon day, we having salmon fillets with either baby or baked potatoes and salad.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:47 pm

Everything sounds delicious. I love seafood linguine in a garlicky cream sauce. Perhaps smoked salmon doesn't need that though!

This week has been one of a double pack of salmon and prawn thermidor en croute with assorted stir fried veggies, Sea bass cooked simply (and crispy skinned) with stir fried veggies,
containing garlic, ginger and soy sauce (both were RTC items I've had stashed in the freezer) and today will be a slow cooked beef casserole with sprouts, carrots and pasta (GD likes this!).

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:29 pm

Tonight we had venison and leek sausages with mash and cavolo nero.
Sausages were tremendous. I buy meat from here
https://toriandbensfarm.co.uk/
Not much use to you, Kacey, but I recommend it to anyone within reasonable distance.

Postby liketocook » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:35 pm

Jerk spiced chicken fillet and pineapple sandwiches yesterday based on a Jamie Oliver recipe with coleslaw and air fried skinny fries.
Today it's roast shoulder of pork with various veg, roasties and gravy.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:00 pm

Chicken Dopiaza, from Camellia Panjabi's "50 Great Curries of India".

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:03 pm

Roast chicken with potatoes cooked in the same tray , sprouts , tender stem broccoli in cheese sauce , homemade YPs and air fried BNS and onion wedges with ras el hanout… plus gravy

Postby liketocook » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:34 pm

Lovely Amy :yum
Trying this cauliflower and potato bake tonight which we'll have as side with green beans and leftover pork. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/j ... e-sformato
Last edited by liketocook on Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:37 pm

I made that yesterday and posted on the Foodies in the News thread as that's where we were discussing Rachel Roddy

This is my post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4654&start=1860#p147278

I had it with sausages last night, deciding whether to go for eggs or fish tonight

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:22 am

Oh that looks lovely LTC and Sue. Will have to try it.

We had a Thai green veggie curry last night. Soup will be spicy lentil soup I made at the weekend. Dinner is going to be roast chicken that we didn't cook on Sunday.

Postby liketocook » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:56 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I made that yesterday and posted on the Foodies in the News thread as that's where we were discussing Rachel Roddy

This is my post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4654&start=1860#p147278

I had it with sausages last night, deciding whether to go for eggs or fish tonight

Missed that Sue, we really enjoyed it. Like you I steamed the veg and halved the recipe. Yes definitely savoury rather than cheesy.
Chicken chasni with rice and salad for us tonight.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:53 pm

I'm doing something fancy with minced lamb tonight.

I found the recipe in the paper, years ago and I have no idea what the dish is called but the meat is cooked with onions, middle eastern spices and some tomato puree and pine nuts. Parsley is stirred through then it's left to cool.

Cook some potatoes and mash them.
Once cool enough to handle make patties of mash and stuff them with the spiced meat.

Fry until crisp.
I'm serving a mixed salad with them.
Last edited by WWordsworth on Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:35 pm

That sounds SO good WWordsworth!

Postby smitch » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:51 pm

I made vegan kebabs today with quick pickled onions on the side and some roasted harissa sprouts based on a Thomasina Miers recipe in the Guardian recently
https://instagram.com/p/CZukRXwqxux/

Not sure about tomorrow. Maybe vegan kievs with smashed roasted potatoes.

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:40 pm

Sensational food today. None of it cooked by me. We had our postponed work ‘Christmas’ lunch. I had potted crab to start with the most delicious crumpet imaginable. Then exquisite beef Wellington with charred hospitality cabbage. There was mash on offer but I didn’t have any.

Had roasted cauliflower for dinner.

Edited to say hispy not hospitality cabbage!

Postby herbidacious » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:15 am

Yesterday I made (sort of) cornbread with a coriander sauce (lime juice, garlic, chilli, olive oil loads of coriander whizzed up in the blender) sriracha drizzle, runny very slow, gently fried eggs (aka cheat's poached) and slices of avocado.

I have eaten lunch out about 4 times in the last 7 days. A couple of meals were really very good. I am planning to eat out tomorrow. Really hoping to get into the restaurant in the Old Sessions House in Clerkenwell but not holiding my breath over that. Nothing online but they may have walk ins.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:25 pm

I made the gnocchi, pesto and spinach bake yesterday.

When I took it out of the oven it did look a bit oily, so I took a small taster portion from one end of the pot and then left it overnight slightly tilted. I collected at least a tablespoon of oil and have now portioned it up for myself, daughter and 2 friends ... and in doing so, had a taste of it cold - delicious :yum :yum :yum

Very easy to make and the gnocchi, pesto and mozzarella all came in ready to use portions for the recipe - just had to weigh out the peas, sunk-dried tomatoes and spinach :thumbsup

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:35 pm

Amazing food...I might make that gnocchi bake soon, my girls would love it.

I fried (rather than boiled) some tortellini the other day so it was almost crisp in places, and we had it with a chilli and herb flavoured butter, parmesan and wilted greens. I may have got the idea off this board, I cant remember.

We've been enjoying lots of Thai and Vietnamese dishes recently...spiced crispy pork belly (bahn mi with the leftovers), a lemongrass ribeye steak noodle salad, soy aubergine with thai basil. I fancy making some Vietnamese prawn crepes over the weekend. I saw some in a cookbook recently and they looked delicious.

Homemade pizzas tomorrow night. Tonight will have to be a quick pasta, rice or omelette dish.

Postby liketocook » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:13 pm

Some very tasty sounding meals being made/eaten. :yum
Much more humdrum here - Tuesday was Chicken Chasni, Wednesday pasta with a chorizo, mushroom, pesto and tomato sauce and yesterday sausages with leftover curry sauce, peas and spicy roasted baby potatoes & cauliflower. I'm home alone this evening and having an easy chicken thigh and veg tray bake.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox