Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Binky wrote:our lunch today is left-over vegetarian chilli and succo (?). Easy to make but we both prefer corn bread with chilli. Succo flavoured with a little za'tar

We're having fish pie tonight with crushed peas. Can't decide whether to have cheesecake or Betty's cake for dessert.

The "succo" looks lovely, binky. I hadn't ever heard of it and googled and came up with "socca" - a sort of chickpea flour flatbread. Is that what you've got?
I'm very tempted to get some gram flour and make it!

As to cheesecake or Betty's cake - I think I'd go for Betty's cake, especially as you've just had your latest delivery! For some reason I'm not a massive fan of cheesecake (or chocolate desserts) after fish - no idea why, it just seems to feel not quite right.

Fish pie :yum :yum
I'd probably not serve it myself, but of course would be more than happy to eat it at a friend's house :lol:

Postby Binky » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:46 pm

Yes, you're right, it's socca. I'd not heard of it either until a couple of days ago on this board. Someone was using up their gram flour (chickpea flour).

I thought I'd have a go as it's something you can make sitting down. A cup of gram flour, a cup of warm water, olive oil, salt and all whizzed up together and left for at least 30 mins. Then popped into a shallow baking pan and baked for 20-25 mins. I added a little za'tar to ours but will try rosemary next time.

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:02 pm

Last night we had some chicken breasts marinated with ginger, chilli and lime served with a mix of stir fried veg and Udon noodles.

We finished off the smoked haddock chowder for lunch today and later on we’ll have venison burgers on burger buns with sliced red onion and a dollop of chutney. OH will probably have some chips with his and I’ll make a side salad of watercress, roasted butternut squash and goat’s cheese. Think it might need some nuts, I’ve got walnuts but think I fancy toasted pine nuts.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
Re tablets in the kitchen...I bought a speaker stand for my iPad specifically for the kitchen when using online recipes.

It charges the tablet and the speaker is great for music, tv, podcasts while I’m cooking.

Which make is that OMCO? There seem to be a few choices around at wildly differing prices

Mine is just from Sainsbury’s. I bought it approx 4 years ago and I don’t recall it being particularly expensive. I’m guessing the price differences relate to the quality of the speaker and brand name? This one is perfectly fine for a cheap-ish version!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:57 pm

We've still got some more gram flour to use, so probably more socca coming up. Might top them with roasted tomatoes, something moist.

Fish pie last night! Moussaka tomorrow I think and the rest of the mince will make kapuska. :yum

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:16 pm

I've got an unopened bag of gram flour Binky which I must use! Your flatbreads are a great idea.

What lovely food you're having WolfGirl!

I made ratatouille this morning. Tonight I marinated a wild sea bass fillet in pomegranate juice, lime juice and oil for about 45 minutes and then fried it. I served it with half a packet of Tilda wholegrain basmati rice and some of the ratatouille. It's my new healthy Mediterranean, low carb. way of eating.

P1000076.JPG
P1000076.JPG (168.06 KiB) Viewed 3144 times

Postby Binky » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Renee, do you like bhajis? If so, these are a perfect use for gram flour. Any leftover bhajis can be frozen; I used to make them regularly they're so easy. Here's an old photo

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:16 pm

They look great, Binky!

I am cooking Sabrina Ghayour's Aubergines in tamarind sauce with baked halloumi, tonight. Have already started the sauce.

Postby Renee » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Yes, I do love bhajis Binky, although it's a long time since I had them. Thank you for the photos, your bhajis look so good!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Aubergine thiing was nice. I don't hink the halloumi cooked thus particularly complemented the aubergine. Both nice separately.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aube ... rind_83142

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Those flavours look really good Herbi!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:20 am

Quite intense. It was a very red meal (colourwise)! I took a photo but it looks like carnage :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 am

:lol: :lol:

I set out to make the HFW Spinach cakes discussed on the 'Foodies in the News' thread. I hadn't really read through the recipe properly and there seemed more faffing about with the spinach, toasting nuts etc than I'd thought. The quantity of spinach required was 500g. I had bought quite a large bag in M&S last week which didn't have a weight written on it anywhere I could find :evil:. Anyway, according to my scales, 500g must be an awful lot of spinach because even before I got to 200g I felt it was enough and 3 tablespoons of oil plus more oil to fry seemed more than I wanted to use with the rest of the proportions too. If you've ever got really tired of a recipe before you've even finished it you'll understand why I ended up mixing the ingredients together with less oil and spinach than recommended and more nutmeg plus a bit of garlic powder, adding a dollop of creme fraiche and some pasta and baking it in the oven topped with halved cherry tomatoes. It wasn't bad!

I would still try the spinach cakes out of interest. It was very similar in many ways to a Spanakopita mixture, with the same tendency to be bland unless you taste and adjust it carefully before constructing. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ttingstall

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:21 am

500 gms of fresh spinach will cook down to at least half the weight, or more, so I wouldn´t worry.
Hugh Grubby Mac´s recipe looks pretty good to me - onions, walnuts, cheese.I think I´ll give it a go this week.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:54 am

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Having seen the cooked ingredients, I find it interesting that the cakes are fried in oil with no crumb or flour coating (the crumbs are added to the mix). I can't quite visualise the result but have never had a realky dud HFW recipe

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 pm

Lunch was quinoa with feta, tomatoes, parsley, broccoli sprouts and spring onions. It was all a bit too healthy to be honest so we followed it with some lovely brie and crackers.

Dinner was bbq pulled pork tacos with corn on the cob, watercress, refried beans, lime and coriander.

I think we’re having watercress soup tomorrow with doorstop bacon sandwiches.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:10 am

I had cheat's tacos. I had been craving them but these were a bit inferior tbh. (Sainsbury's tinned veggie chilli was involved!) I was too tired to cook properly tonight and donated last night's left overs to OH.... which he's not eaten. Use it or lose it tomorrow, say I (to him!) Tamarind and tomato aubergines with grilled feta?

I have just bought some smoked quinoa!

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:11 am

A simple baked potato with tuna mayo tonight.
I put chopped spring onions in the tuna. J wanted chopped tomato as well.
Against my better judgement I did it.
Wish I hadn't, fish and tomato don't often make a happy marriage for me.

Postby Kacey » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:52 pm

OH gave me a book on vegetarian Vietnamese cooking a year or two ago for my birthday. I've flicked through it a lot but not made anything as its one of those books where you have to pre-prepare, marinate or make something first, its definitely not a spur of the moment cookbook. So I remembered to get the tofu from the freezer Tues night and made up the marinade for it yesterday morning, marinated all afternoon and cooked it last night, along with a hot and spicy noodle broth - which I made less 'brothy'. It was delicious! Even OH said it was ''restaurant quality'. Will have to try more recipes now and hope they're up to the same standard.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:22 pm

That sounds wonderful Kacey.

Lunch today was mushroom, spinach and gruyere quiche. It was absolutely delicious (and bought from a deli so I can take zero credit!)

Tonight we're having homemade build your own burgers with wedges, salad, coleslaw and a selection of toppings. Currently I like melted mature cheddar and a smoky bbq sauce on mine. A sliced cornichon wouldn't go amiss. Tomato in the salad rather than in the bun.

I want to make a blackberry soufflé over the weekend if we have time. I'm missing it from one of my favourite restaurants so I'm going to give it a go. It wont taste as good as theirs but we've made cheese soufflé many times so it should be passable - I hope :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox