Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 pm

That Greek dish looks very good. I bought feta and parsley today so we might have that early next week.

Breakfast was an almond croissant and flat white in a local park.

Dinner was fillet steak with a few homemade chips, tenderstem broccoli, green beans and roasted shallots. We made a garlic cream sauce which was a roasted bulb of garlic whizzed up with Dijon mustard, egg yolk and red wine vinegar with olive oil drizzled in at the end. Served cold like a bernaise. The roast garlic flavour was subtle and we all liked it so it’s one to make again. We also shared a slab of rosemary and sea salt focaccia with it, hence just a “few” chips as we were having double carbs :D

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Lovely sounding food all.

EM - thank you for highlighting the reduced fish offerings since OH took over shopping. The situation has been rectified!

Friday night was mahi mahi on a bed of white beans, chorizo and tomatoes. Saturday lunch was out and was fish tacos. Dinner just broccoli with some of the leftover bean mixture. Sunday lunch was also out :oops: and was fish goujons but I had them with veg rather than chips. Last night we celbrated a friend's birthday and they cooked lamb chops with caponata - delicious.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Sounds wonderful Rocky. I am envious of you eating out! Not long for us over here hopefully :crossed

Last night we had a puff pastry tart topped with antipasti from a jar, tomatoes, courgette, basil oil, feta. We finished it with basil and toasted pine nuts and served it with rocket.

I’m going to make that feta and olive stew tonight (thanks Kacey!) and we’re having it with grilled lamb chops.

Tomorrow I’ve planned a Thai beef salad and I’m probably going to make a big tub of tabbouleh for lunches with some lightly smoked salmon fillets for the rest of the week.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:26 pm

Last night we had breaded calamari with a Greek-ish salad, OH also had a few potato wedges with his.

Tonight will be the remains of a chunky chilli which I obviously froze a few weeks ago, along with some rice. Nice and easy.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:41 pm

That sounds more like it Rocky! Delicious.

The packet of chorizo flavoured sausages added as a substitute to my food order just keeps on giving :roll:. They were eaten with salad and rice on Sunday, as part of a vegetable casserole yesterday to which the remains of some Heinz Mexican beans and smoked paprika had been added amongst other things and there's still enough casserole left for tonight. I am going to add some pasta to it but absolutely nothing else. If there's any left after that I despair :lol:.

Breaded calamari sounds delicious. I haven't had anything like that for ages.

Postby WolfGirl » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Breaded calamari sounds delicious. I haven't had anything like that for ages.

Actually the ‘breaded’ was ‘golden battered’ when I checked. It’s from Young’s Gastro frozen range so useful to have as a standby. It doesn’t need as long in the oven as the packaging says!

Last night it was Thai style prawn fish cakes with salad. Think tonight will be gammon and pineapple.

Postby Busybee » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:56 pm

I rather rate Youngs Gastro range.......I am an aficionado of their battered fish fingers. A very good freezer standby.

BB

Postby WolfGirl » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:51 pm

I have those too, BB.

Make a great sandwich!

Postby herbidacious » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:46 pm

I have prepared Sabrina Ghayour's mushroom, tahini and harissa spaghetti, but it's not worked well. Partly the fault of my rubbish KitchenAid food processor which pureed some of the mushrooms, and left the rest untouched. This meant when I tried to 'dry fry' them they quickly became soupy which meant I could not 'fry the sliced garlic until translucent' or indeed at all!

It's also quite unsubtle in flavour. Very garlicky a bit chilli-ish and a bit mushroomy. It's edible though :o I think I will go back to Ottolenghi for dishes I am not sure I will really like. He's only failed me once.

Postby Binky » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:05 pm

We had spaghetti with a cream cheese, mushroom, garlic and red onion sauce.

We also had tea and sticky buns afterwards, but I can't get PostImage to work so no pic I'm afraid.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 pm

Tonight we had the New York Times recipe for White beans au Vin - basically coq au vin with cannelini beans instead of chicken! As always, it was delicious. We'll finish off the remaining two small portions with some polenta tomorrow.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:46 pm

For lunch I was going to make Delia’s celery and Stilton soup, I made the soup from celery, shallot, potato, a little butter and a “bouquet” of a little celery seed anda bay leaf. When I blitzed it and tasted it I realised I’d automatically put in enough salt that adding Stilton was a bad idea, also it was very nice Stilton (Sainsbury’s TTD Long Clawson) a bit too good for cooking. So I had celery soup with cheese & oatcakes on the side Yum

For dinner I made risotto topped with salmon. My risotto had peas and skinned broad beans, and a pinch of saffron, the basic sofrito was celery, shallot, garlic infused evoo and butter, splash of white wine; just a touch of Marigold bouillon and hot water from the kettle. Got the texture just so

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:29 am

I had some cooked chickpeas and 5 fresh artichokes in the fridge, and I wondered what I might do with them... maybe a chickpea stew with artichokes and chorizo? But alas, no chorizo, so I made a chickpea and artichoke heart masala, with fried onions, garlic, ginger and green chiles, 4 diced tomatoes, 1 tsp each cumin, coriander & turmeric, and finished with garam masala, lime juice and coriander leaf.
chickpea & artichoke masala.jpg
chickpea & artichoke masala.jpg (9.51 KiB) Viewed 2934 times

Cor!! Worked very nicely.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:31 pm

In what sense is a Kindle not a physical object?

Hahaha, Sue - you´re right. Not well-expressed, but I´m sure you know what I mean.

I just wouldn´t want to risk a kindle ( or, God forbid, a laptop) next to my cooker, getting splashed with hot oil, or stained with sauce, curry, etc.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:13 pm

A Kindle or tablet is quite wipeable. A laptop not a great success with me! I've used a Kindle in the kitchen quite happily just to follow a one or two page recipe from a book or to follow from something on the internet.

The trouble with anything more relating to cookery books is that I don't know how to ever find anything again easily once I've passed the page. Hence, I haven't used one much for anything book-related except reading trashy novels on planes.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:24 pm

Great sounding food.

We are having tapas tonight. I’ve already made a chicken, lemon and olive stew and we picked up some olives and charcuterie from the deli. Later we’ll make/cook a tortilla, gambas pil pil, padron peppers, mushrooms with white wine, and a new dish for us of berenjenas which is aubergines with honey and sesame. If we have time I might make some spicy patatas bravas too. I’d love to make some croquettes but I’m not a fan of frying in lots of oil at home. I save those things for eating out!

Postby Binky » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:30 pm

our lunch today is left-over vegetarian chilli and succo (?). Easy to make but we both prefer corn bread with chilli. Succo flavoured with a little za'tar

We're having fish pie tonight with crushed peas. Can't decide whether to have cheesecake or Betty's cake for dessert.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:33 pm

16D209BA-498E-4FE5-A159-84C6420398EA.jpeg
16D209BA-498E-4FE5-A159-84C6420398EA.jpeg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 2899 times

Re tablets in the kitchen...I bought a speaker stand for my iPad specifically for the kitchen when using online recipes.

It charges the tablet and the speaker is great for music, tv, podcasts while I’m cooking.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:34 pm

That looks great Binky

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:18 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
Re tablets in the kitchen...I bought a speaker stand for my iPad specifically for the kitchen when using online recipes.

It charges the tablet and the speaker is great for music, tv, podcasts while I’m cooking.

Which make is that OMCO? There seem to be a few choices around at wildly differing prices

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox