Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:05 pm

scullion wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote: I soaked some beans overnight but, presumably due to the cold, they haven’t rehydrated as much as I expected

i haven't found that room temperature makes any difference but if they've been on the shelf quite a while, it does.

I replied earlier but t'internet ate my homework

They were a fresh packet in December, I pressure cooked them and they were fine - might just be the type of bean, rather small butter beans, which are good in soups

Postby Binky » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Today my chef made porridge with golden syrup for breakfast, a butternut squash and ginger soup with baguette for lunch, a cup of tea and a piece of (bought) victoria sponge for afternoon tea, and he's doing a mushroom risotto and chocolate flan (bought) for dinner. :klingonbanana

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:58 pm

He seems to be doing a good job of looking after you Binky.

Tonight we are having (M&S) butternut and red onion en croute with a salad.
J wants a few wedges with it (again).
Looks like it's his back door route to pie and chips (again) :roll:

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:30 pm

Good on that man Binky.......!!

Lots of comfort food here this week - full roast chook dinner one night, shellfish linguine another, & last night was baked salmon with new pots & veg stir fry, tonight will be the chicken livers I've been craving all week with saucy tagliatelle - it's been a long time! Thai chicken curry will feature at some point over the w/end & the beans are soaking for a chilli at some point.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:43 pm

OH has just put this in the oven:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... ash-recipe

We're quite light on the chilli as neither of us is that good with it, and we can always add some chilli oil if it's not hot enough.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:27 pm

What a gorgeous colour that is. Did it turn out that colourful (or did they cheat?!) I am sure it will be delicious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:55 pm

I must have a go at chilli, as need to make some without cumin or cinnamon, allspice + a bit of cardamoms will probably work

I had an easy, lazy, cheap, but delicious lunar new year dinner - I steamed a pack of mixed frozen dim sum (2 kinds of prawn, one kind of mushroom) and some tenderstem broccoli and ate with a dipping sauce. The brand of dim sum is Chinatown, but it’s made in Vietnam. Instructions are given for microwaving or steaming, but the texture is infinitely better if steamed

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 pm

herbidacious wrote:What a gorgeous colour that is. Did it turn out that colourful (or did they cheat?!) I am sure it will be delicious.

Yes, it looked great and was indeed delicious! Definitely one to do again.
We didn't have any green stuff to sprinkle on it but did have some lovely creamy yogurt. I think next time we'll be a bit more courageous with the chilli although maybe not to the full amount yet!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:54 pm

How were the flavourings and colour, KC2? I don't think I'd put in the full 2 tsp of chili either, but looks like a goodly and good amount of other spices, so wondering about that?

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Colour was great, ZC, and our pepper was orange, not red. We did just under half quantities - only using one can of beans and one of tomatoes. Half spices, and we just used 1/4 tsp of chilli. The smoked paprika, cumin and cinnamon was a lovely mix, and not one we would probably have thought of ourselves.
Tbh, I'm never quite sure when to use smoked paprika - unless it's listed in a specific recipe. I always think it might be nice to add but then get my doubts and don't!

Would be happy to recommend the recipe. It would also work well with frozen BNS. Normally we don't have fresh as Asda doesn't have it online, but we did a Sainsbury's order this week and so have a lovely big squash and used half of it.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Thanks KC2.
I love smoked paprika but find you have to be a bit careful and use it quite sparingly - as you might use smoke flavoring, which is what it is, really. I tend to use it in dishes where you might flame grill ingredients like tomatoes or peppers and other veg for eg. I do like it in homemade bbq sauces and rubs too. I also often sub it for chipotle, which can be over hot for my taste when given in quantity.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 pm

Tonight is a fish stew, served with home made imitation ciabatta.
(Looks like it but doesn't contain olive oil)

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:31 am

Last night OH cooked a Penang curry. I was looking in the freezer for chicken to defrost but found a pack of king prawns first so we had those instead.

Tonight we had sirloin steaks with a mushroom sauce and herby potato wedges with a Waldorf-ish salad.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:20 am

I could die for a decent stir-fry with crispy prawns, or some pakoras or a nice salad.
Unfortunately, Thursday´s unexpected tooth extraction has meant soup, mashed potato with cauliflower and cheese, and nothing else! :shock:

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Bad luck on the tooth KK! Love a good Penang wolf girl.

Recently we’ve been eating lots of bagels, Dan Dan noodles, fruit smoothies and quesadillas. A Greek salad with grilled halloumi and oregano yesterday, although it felt weird eating it in the winter. It’s definitely a dish I associate with sunshine.

Tomorrow we need to use up greens and coriander in something and I have promised DD1 we can make fruity breakfast muffins.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 pm

I am not cooking much at the moment. I really need to get back into it. Work has been a bit full on, but not at the weekends... Neither of us were very hungry this evening as had a big (for me) lunch - left over (and reheated) potatoes with sweetcorn, and spicy cheddar melted on top, then some orange polenta cake bought from a hatch in a cafe yesterday. So we just had a packet of Merchant Gourmet Spanish rice, heated up and to which I added smoked tomato paste and sweet smoked paprika, and topped with a fried egg each. Better than baked beans, arguably... and satisfying to be able to cobble together something like this without any fuss. He was all set for a cream cracker and cheese dinner. (I suspect he might have that as well...)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:48 am

Not posted here for a while, my meals are so unexotic!

Lovely to see Rocky around again, I note more of a meat than fish based diet, is this because meat has become more plentiful now things have settled a bit? I used to be really envious of the beautiful fish in the midst of chaos!

Nice meals as ever OMCO, hats off to you in the midst of home schooling and I think also working from home :? ?

Picking up new supplies today so gathered all the veg which needed finishing last night and popped it in a casserole with some beef strips which have been lurking in the freezer. Finished off with some lovely dumplings. It was really delicious and there's some left for tonight. I've been making dumplings with half wholemeal flour as I bought some SR by mistake. Last night I used all white, they were so much nicer, albeit less healthy.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:21 pm

I´d thought of making a risotto yesterday, but then discovered we hadn´t got any Parmesan.
Then we thought of a prawn risotto; but my son is allergic to prawns.
So I dug three pieces of salmon out of the freezer, cooked some green beans, asparagus and carrots. The asparagus was served just as; the carrots with ginger & honey and the beans sautéed with a touch of garlic, ginger and sesame oil. The salmon, s & p, white wine and teryaki. Yum.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:34 pm

It must be so good having your family back after all that time, KKA :thumbsup :thumbsup (despite the surfeit of meringue I think you mentioned :lol: :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:23 pm

Hahaha, KC!!!
We´re in Carnival here in Caracas, so everyone is off work until Wednesday.
We´d been invited to a BBQ today, but all of a sudden, it was cancelled.
That means my wife is making yet another pavlova today, because we´d already bought the eggs, strawberries and cream.
YES!! :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox