Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 pm

Hairy Bikers curried mussels tonight.
Absolutely glorious, served with HM ciabatta style loaf and a couple of glasses of picpoul.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:35 am

I have to admit that, after more than 405 days of the pandemic, and no solution in sight ( at least over here), I´ve been bored sick for the past few days. Yesterday, it was 2.30pm and I said to myself " what on earth am I going to do for the rest of the day?".
Anyway, today, I watched the IPL T20 cricket from 8am until 2pm. That livened things up! Then I thought "Salmon!", which we had in the fridge, so I made some teryaki salmon, steamed veg with sesame seeds and some noodles; but not just any old noodles!
Miwa Somen are super-thin Japanese noodles, made by hand, which take less than 2 minutes to cook. I picked them up in Cincinnati a couple of years ago, reduced to a ridiculous price ( I think it was 0.50c for a packet of 250 gms). Never knew what to do with them,because they´re traditionally served cold with a soy-based sauce.
Anyway - they were the carbs with the salmon. Amazing things, because they´re so thin.

Postby liketocook » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:30 am

Broccoli, ham and mushroom pasta bake with salad and garlic bread for us tonight.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 pm

Curried mussels sounded so good, WW that I looked around for a HB recipe and found none - did you adapt another recipe like their curried prawns?

KDKA - sounds like you're in a bit of a languish. Are you still in full lockdown? Miwa somen and salmon sounds excellent.

We had BLTs last night. :D

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:08 pm

Curried mussels sounded so good, WW that I looked around for a HB recipe and found none - did you adapt another recipe like their curried prawns?

It's in their curry cookbook.
Supposed to serve 3, we scoffed the lot.

1kg mussels
Oil
1 finely chopped onion
4 sliced garlic cloves
Chopped ginger to taste
1 tbsp Thai curry paste
4 dried lime leaves
400ml coconut milk
1 tbsp fish sauce
Large bunch of coriander, chopped
Black pepper

Fry the onion, garlic, and ginger gently for 10 mins without colouring.

Add the curry paste and lime leaves and cook for another minute.

Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and coriander plus black pepper and cook for 5 mins.

Chuck the mussels in and put the lid on.
Give it a stir after a couple of minutes, should take about 4 mins in total.
Last edited by WWordsworth on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Binky » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:58 pm

This doesn't look much but it's one of our firm favourites - Sicilian Seafood Stew. Made with a base of tomatoes, celery, onion, red and green peppers, fish sauce and red wine. Cook that lot and then lob in some white fish in chunks (we use cod) and some prawns. Big prawns are best but little ones will do if you can't get the bigger ones. Serve with crusty bread or a baked potato.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Lovely sounding food and photos. That looks really good Binky.

We went on a picnic yesterday and took a sausage, sage and onion plait. Plus pickles, whole grain mustard, crisps, green salad, radishes and cherry toms. Also some rolo tiffin.

Tonight we had chicken cooked with tomatoes, basil and garlic. I whizzed up some basil and watercress and added it to some butter which I added for the last few minutes which made an instant sauce with the collapsed tomatoes. We had spring greens and fat wedge skin on chips with it.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 pm

Thanks a lot WW. I think a kg of mussels is perfect for two :D

Nice, Binky. Love that sort of thing. I do cioppino a lot. Is that similar?

It's very fishy out there!

OMCO - great picnic snack

Tuna egg mayonnaise n bits. No cooking :D

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 am

Sunday I did a sausage casserole in the slow cooker served with roasted beetroot and buttered cabbage.
Last night was a kind of throw it all in dish involving minced beef, peppers, onions, noodles, lots of Asian-y flavourings and topped with a fried egg. I used a gochuchang paste which really livened it up!
I’ve got some salmon out of the freezer for tonight. No idea on that yet.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:02 am

As usual, all your food looks good but I'll be inviting myself to OMCO's. So impressed with the endless wonderful things there! The herb and butter sauce is so simple but something I'd forgotten and I've got lots of Basil.

Still having a low carb/sugar diet for a while so mostly simple meals of meat, fish & veg. I did buy some of those low calorie noodles in Tesco yesterday and they were quite a treat with sea bass and stir fried veg. I used to dislike them. I made some cauliflower bread the other day, like the pizza base with cauliflower, egg and ground almonds. The recipe had a generous amount of turmeric which I thought made it quite unpleasant. Turmeric doesn't usually taste of much but it did there! I think the whole thing is better as a pizza base with strong flavoured toppings.

Postby liketocook » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:19 am

Goodness I've just finished breakfast and my mouth is watering reading about some wonderful looking and sounding meals. :yum
Pasta bake yesterday was tasty but nothing special just a perfectly decent week day dinner.
Ham, eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes and air fried chips tonight to use up the last of the ham joint.

Postby Renee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:22 am

I finished off some ratatouille that I made the other day, with melted cheese on top.

Postby liketocook » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:36 am

Salmon for us tonight with baked potatoes, green beans, roasted baby plum tomatoes and a creamy spinach sauce.

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:43 pm

All this luvverly grub - makes me want to eat all day.

liketocook, can you say how you make your spinach sauce for salmon please? Do you add extras like black pepper, chilli, jerk-type seasoning, assuming salmon is cooked plain? Ta.

Postby liketocook » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:23 pm

jeral wrote:All this luvverly grub - makes me want to eat all day.

liketocook, can you say how you make your spinach sauce for salmon please? Do you add extras like black pepper, chilli, jerk-type seasoning, assuming salmon is cooked plain? Ta.

No recipe as such jeral it varies depending on what I have in and what I'm serving it with but this is how I make it:-
Cook a finely diced banana shallot and a clove of garlic in knob of butter and a splash of oil. Once cooked but not browned add around 200g defrosted frozen spinach and cook gently until most of the water has evaporated but you don't want it too dry. Blend this mix with 2-3 tablespoons crème fraiche (tonight I'm using half fat crème fraiche) or cream or a mix of equal amounts of cream cheese & milk . If it's too thick add a little milk. Return to the pan and add a pinch of cayenne, black pepper and salt to taste and heat gently, but don't allow to boil, until piping hot. Just before serving stir in a tsp of lemon juice and some chopped parsley. This makes enough for 2-3 people. Tonight I'll cook the salmon separately but I sometimes cook white fish and/or prawns in the sauce either on the hob or in the oven.

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:36 pm

Many thanks. I have salmon defrosting for tonight. My sauces so far have tended to be too creamy/bland or two overdosed with flavour, so I'll try yours and see if I can get that elusive happy medium 8-)

Postby liketocook » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:46 pm

Hope you enjoy Jeral, very much a sauce you can tweak to suit your own tastes. I like it because despite the dairy it's not too rich.

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Hope you got on okay with the sauce jeral, for my lunch today I'm having leftover sauce and baked potato topped with some grated cheddar.

Thai green chicken curry with green beans and rice made using Mae Ploy curry paste son nice and easy.

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:38 pm

Yes, thank you liketocook. I made one tweak which was to omit cayenne (or paprika) as it has seemed wrong before, although a touch of chipotle paste has worked, so instead this time I added a garlic clove per yours (new addition) and a clove-clove fished out after a while. I'd make it again (for salmon), so success, ta.

Hadn't realised how personal sauces must be. Mind you, apparently there's a news item in the Daily Mail listing: "You know you're not young when ...". One item was fixating on which day rubbish is collected - guilty anyone? - but perhaps fixating on sauce is a sign too. Oh 'eck.

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:26 pm

Glad it worked okay for you jeral - definitely a personal thing which I'm always a wee bit nervous of providing a recipe for something that I've developed over time to suit what I like as opposed to a published recipe I can provide a link.
I wouldn't say I'm fixated on sauces but the "which day the rubbish is collected?" resonates mind you with four wheelie bins and a food caddy with a mix of collection days and schedules to choose from I doubt I'm alone...... :? :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox