Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby scullion » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Maud wrote:Poundland sell baking tin liners too. We have several

nice to hear from you at last, maud. welcome.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Amritsari paneer tikka masala served with naan breads (shop bought, found in the freezer :) ) Quite pleased that I had all the ingredients for this as it was an impromptu choice. (I cheated a bit - had a (proper Indian) spice mix packet to add to the other ingredients.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 am

Over the weekend I made Musaqa’a from Falastin, by Sami Tamimi and had it on both days. It’s a bake of aubergines, tomatoes, peppers and chickpeas with flavourings that I modified slightly to suit my weird tastebuds. I topped it with cheese that wasn’t in the original as I wanted to use it up. I was slightly doubtful about some of the instructions and proportions but it worked perfectly

Today I made a burger from the excess chickpeas to have with salad, a bit dense but ok. Lunchtime leek and potato soup was more of a success

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:11 am

It surprised me that you burn mango wood.

I´ve got a 50ft tall mango tree in the back garden, jeral. :shock: :lol: :lol:

I made the strudel, although it wasn´t really a strudel - more a pie. The ricotta, smoky grilled veg and broccoli worked very nicely. One to repeat. had some more for lunch today.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:24 am

That sounds good, Clive. What sort of pastry?

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:32 pm

It was apacket of puff pastry I bought in the supermarket.Not bad at all!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:30 pm

I am cooking some Iberico pork steaks tonight from the firm Unearthed. I only ever buy them if they’ve been reduced in Waitrose, which they were yesterday. They are ever so good.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:33 am

I made pasta with prawn, courgette, and dill following a recipe in Diana Henry’s book Simple

It was all right but I prefer prawns with Asian noodles, it needed the soy/fish sauce

Postby herbidacious » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:09 am

I just wanted something light tonight. When I was a post grad, I used to make a thing which was a slice of chevre, coated in garlicky fresh breadcrumbs then baked for a short while. I tried to do this, but it turned out the goats cheese was a camemberty type so difficult to coat (it was a bit ripe too...) and just melted in the oven. I used lemon and black pepper bought dried breadcrumbs. Husband liked it. Me less so. (Too ammonia-y for my liking.)

Makes me realize I must have eaten a lot less in those days as I am sure I used to have just one very thin slice of it for dinner. No wonder I was so thin. I didn't do dessert in those days either. I had to have some cereal tonight. (It was a very small cheese and I only ate a third - with a slice of bread though.) I am trying not to eat pudding at the moment. I realize it has become a habit. I suppose muesli is a bit puddingy but not as bad as banoffee pie and the like.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:42 am

I was desperate for a starter a while ago, Herbie, and the only things I had in the fridge were chevre, cooked beetroot and half a packet of puff pastry. I cut the pastry into squares and baked it; a square on the plate, sliced beetroot, a good dose of balsamic vinegar "syrup", a slice of chevre, and another square on top. I have to say I was very happy with the result!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:10 pm

We made pork satay skewers the other day with satay dipping sauce, rice, sesame carrot and coriander salad and griddled spring onions.

Last night we had Italian sausage pasta which we have quite regularly.

Tonight we had pea, spinach and lemon risotto topped with grilled salmon, pea shoots and finished with parmesan and a drizzle of lemon oil. A square or two of Aldi chocolate for dessert.

4702D0E4-B1E4-453C-A75A-3664EE497EAC.jpeg
4702D0E4-B1E4-453C-A75A-3664EE497EAC.jpeg (75.98 KiB) Viewed 3217 times

Postby Amber » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:49 am

karadekoolaid wrote:
It surprised me that you burn mango wood.

I´ve got a 50ft tall mango tree in the back garden, jeral. :shock: :lol: :lol:

I made the strudel, although it wasn´t really a strudel - more a pie. The ricotta, smoky grilled veg and broccoli worked very nicely. One to repeat. had some more for lunch today.

I was looking forward to telling you all about my homemade strudels, the first time I’ve made them in about thirty/fourty years. Easy peasy. Unfortunately pride comes before a fall. The flavour was good, but the pastry was hard and chewy, even though it was see through (in places). Back to the drawing board.

Postby Kacey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 am

Made fennel risotto last night, currently trying to lose some lockdown weight gain so made a low cal version with 1 tsp oil only. Fennel is very low in calories so a massive bulb of it was next to nothing and added just enough parmesan type cheese to make it taste luxurious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 am

The risotto looks great OMCO, that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of doing with risotto, though I probably won’t dress it so nicely

I thawed out a tub of veggie spag bol sauce, I had a monster courgette nearly 500g but with the seeds barely forming. I prepared 4 courgette “boats” and stuffed them with the sauce mixed with the courgette flesh and breadcrumbs, I had enough stuffing to fill a tomato too and then I topped with crumbs and cheese and baked. Very nice, enough for 2 meals

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:19 pm

That dish looks divine, OMCO! Beautifully plated! :clap :clap :clap

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks! It tasted good and was nice and light for a risotto.

We had egg fried rice for lunch using up more pea shoots, mushrooms and broccoli. We were supposed to be ordering fish and chips for dinner but we're still so full from lunch that I don't think we could eat it. I'll probably cobble together a few light mezze type dishes from what is lurking in the fridge instead. There is falafel, olives, padron peppers...and yet more pea shoots!!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:14 am

A quick pasta primavera for lunch. I had a spare carrot, a few peas, about 6-8 green beans, half a bag of broccoli and a slice of red pepper. sauteed a little onion and garlic with a couple of strips of bacon, added the veg and a tub of cream - ready to go. Start to finish - about 40 minutes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:49 am

I had the leftover stuffed veg for lunch, as a was cold and I wanted hot food

Which meant I didn’t have a dinner prepared, so I pimped a pack of instant shrimp ramen with broccoli, red peppers, onion, sliced chilli and some small prawns and crab sticks

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:19 pm

J has been fancying venison and today they had some at the farm shop, so it's a roast dinner for us tonight.

Venison, duck fat roasties, carrots, brussels tops and cavalo nero.
He says he's making a red wine gravy too.

I'm going to sit by the fire until I'm called.

Postby Kacey » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:36 pm

Had no idea what to do tonight. I was starving after walking to the vaccination centre and back. Some of if was quite steep so I now know how much stamina I've lost whilst working from home.

Anyway, after the excitement of getting vaccinated (even wore earrings for the first time in ages) decided to make this https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... rom-greece - it smells delicious.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox