Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:20 pm

OH made Joe Trivelli's Smashed broad beans and artichokes for lunch. He used frozen broad beans and frozen artichoke hearts and the oil from a jar of artichokes and it was delicious. Definitely one to make again.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ubarb-soup

(Apols to those who've seen this already at the campsite :lol: )
Attachments
Smashed broad beans and artichokes.jpg
Smashed broad beans and artichokes.jpg (41.31 KiB) Viewed 3314 times

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:28 pm

Oooh that looks lovely!

I’m trying to recall anything interesting from the last week :?

We made a lovely pesto out of pea shoots, lemon zest, garlic, evoo and almonds which we had with rack of lamb.

I made a smoked trout pate which we had with watercress, home made potato skins and chives.

And some little coconut and raspberry fairy cakes out of an old Jo Pratt cookbook.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 pm

I made a minced lamb and rice filo pie yesterday.
We had it with a carrot and cabbage lemony spicy stir-fry.

Today I made Nigel Slater's broad bean, spinach and feta filo pie, to use up the pastry.
Served with a mixed salad.

Notes
1. I didn't have enough feta so padded it out with cheddar, which worked.
2. Jury is still out on cooked spinach. Texture isn't appealing.
3. I now have 2 half consumed filo pies in my fridge

Postby herbidacious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 pm

i've not had time or energy to cook of late (hopefully the Easter break will make it easier.) But today I had a tomato and mozzarella salad for lunch (Damn! I forgot I have avocados!) with a smoked rapeseed oil and Ankerkraut bruschette herb and spice mix. The tomatoes are not as good as they look, but it hit the spot.

edit: I know. Not very 'diet' but I think a little flexibility is allowed. Maybe more than a little this weekend if I eat the chocolate bunny husband sweetly bought me...

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:14 pm

Didn't someone post about a chocolate "sausage"? https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 1eed06c1a5

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:30 pm

Today was going to be a roasted veg pizza - that's for tomorrow now as it'd be criminal not to eat a salad on this sunny day, hurrah, especially as it's then straight back to being cold again, boo. So, defrosted prawns, salsa and tapenade, plus warm pita strips for scoops.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 am

I tried ltc's thermidor sauce with some mediocre fish which had been in the freezer for ages last night. It was absolutely delicious and would work for so many dishes. I only had it with stir fried veg as I'm trying not to have too much carb at the moment but it'd be great with pasta or potatoes too. I've frozen some, I hope it freezes ok but it's only for me so won't be the end of the world if it splits.

I'll certainly be making it again- I used semi skimmed milk and light creme fraiche and it was still good.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:58 am

I made two things yesterday, some falafel with modified spicing to avoid things I currently can’t eat, and some little sausage meat balls in tomato sauce to have with pasta, to use up some sausages as I’d accidentally picked up some Cumberland chipolatas which weren’t what I wanted
There are loads of similar recipes online which I read then winged it, one suggested cooking Savoy cabbage with the pasta so I did, good idea

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I tried ltc's thermidor sauce with some mediocre fish which had been in the freezer for ages last night. It was absolutely delicious and would work for so many dishes. I only had it with stir fried veg as I'm trying not to have too much carb at the moment but it'd be great with pasta or potatoes too. I've frozen some, I hope it freezes ok but it's only for me so won't be the end of the world if it splits.

I'll certainly be making it again- I used semi skimmed milk and light creme fraiche and it was still good.

Sounds delicious EM and less heavy than the full fat version :yum

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:59 pm

Sounds great EM! Crab thermidor was one of the first meals I used to cook as a child. I ate it in a restaurant aged about 8 and loved it so much I got my parents to buy tinned crab each week so I could make my own version in little shell serving dishes. I doubt my version was particularly good but I used to be so proud of it :D

Anyway. Last night we had baked seabass with chilli, fennel, lemon. With roast vine tomatoes and sautéed potatoes.

Tonight I made a big dish of chicken cacciatore which we had with tagliatelle, garlic bread and salad. Leftovers have gone in the freezer for lunches.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 pm

Tonight was a delicious 10-minute dinner.
I have babington leeks in the garden, courtesy of Zosh a few years ago, sautéed gently in olive oil and butter.
Served with tagliatelle and smoked salmon.
Glorious.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:58 pm

That sounds lovely and sent me off looking for Babbington's Leeks plants... which led to varoius other edible aliums, which led to various other unsusual edible shade loving plants (I am always on the look out for shade lovers...)

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:31 am

Today was an egg curry, the sauce made with yoghurt and peas.
There was some minced meat left over from some "empanadas" a few days ago, so I used it to stuff two lonely red peppers, which might be lunch for tomorrow!.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:03 pm

It has been a fishy w/end - The Lushly was at the fishmonger bright & early Friday morning & came back with a good haul - plaice for dinner Friday with braised fennel & saute new pots, gorgeous mussels turned into a creamy mariniere on Sat. & two big boy crabs for dinner tonight with a prawn salad ....ooomph !
The lamb planned for today is staying in the freezer!

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Last night was paella.

Today is very easy.
A pal dropped by with a bag of samosas, pakoras etc which he had just picked up from a place on the Belgrave Rd in Leicester.
We will have them warm with rice and salad.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:18 am

I made a pad Thai
Not sure why I thought it was a faff last time, I suppose there are a lot of steps but most of them are tiny things like beating an egg, or adding prawns and garlic to a wok, so once you have the order it’s quite easy

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:20 am

I suddenly had a yearning for Chinese - style fried rice ( I´ve never, ever been able to make the real thing), but I stir-fried some veggies, added some ginger, 5 - spices, and shrimp. Ok for me!

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 pm

OH made scallops with crispy prosciutto and sauce vierge last night and I made a lemon tart (bought pastry). Both dishes were delicious.
Attachments
lemon tart, strawberries.jpg
lemon tart, strawberries.jpg (208.73 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
scallops, sauce vierge, prosciutto.jpg
scallops, sauce vierge, prosciutto.jpg (333.51 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Pot roast of brisket with roast potatoes and parsnips, cabbage and psb from the garden.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Beanburgers, hummus, roasted red peppers and shallots, rocket, wholemeal pitta :yum :yum

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox