Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Amyw » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:29 am

Thank you Binky .

Does anyone know apart from saffron , what are the normal paella spices if I wanted to have a go at making it from scratch

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:45 am

smoked paprika

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 am

Looks really fantastic!! :yum :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:16 am

I occasionally make a brunch fried rice - purists look away now, but I did get the idea from Mr Hom himself! And Fuchsia Dunlop does an egg and tomato version.

The egg usually goes in it rather than on it, then a bit of scallion for background flavour, and whatever else is around - some diced tomato, bacon, mushrooms, oddments of sausages or black pudding even, mushrooms, bit of soy (and/or Worcestershire) for seasoning, whatever is there. And Sri racha or other sauce to serve. Possibly skip the baked beans.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:45 am

what are the normal paella spices if I wanted to have a go at making it from scratch

I´d hazard a guess and say the Spanish use very few spices: pepper, saffron, pimentón dulce (ground, dried red peppers) and pimentón ahumado ( smoked red pepper). A classic paella Valenciana would definitely use saffron, but apart from that, herbs (such as rosemary) would be more important.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:17 am

Amyw wrote:Does anyone know apart from saffron , what are the normal paella spices if I wanted to have a go at making it from scratch

Like many Spanish recipes, paella is quite minimal in spicing. Only saffron, sweet paprika, garlic and onion in Paella as a rule. You can adapt the Cooking Paella for 40 recipe to size. Spanish don't use rosemary as a rule either even though it grows wild in many parts.

Have a read of Ian & Spain in this Spanish expat blog. He's lived in Spain for 20+ years and very integrated into local life - apart from being really interesting it has a lot of background info and tips. Site and blog are a tad of a pain to navigate but worth persevering. He has some really excellent (real) Spanish recipes and insight into Spanish regional cooking.

Perfecting Paella Making
https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianand ... aking.aspx

Cooking Paella For 40 People!
https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianand ... /test.aspx

Valencian Paella - The Real Deal
https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianand ... -deal.aspx

Really Easy Fideua! - Seafood Paella with Pasta
https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianand ... /fide.aspx

Ian & Spain wrote:
Paella from Ian & Spain

Ingredients used: Quantity will depend on numbers but you can adjust as you wish.

Fish stock - either homemade or from Mercadona: always 3 parts stock to 1 part rice (by volume, not weight) When you add the stock - always 8 minutes on high heat then drop to low until all stock has evaporated.

Round paella rice - about 100g per person

Onion - 1 medium or every 2 servings

Garlic - pressed - 1 clove for every two servings

Peeled plum tomatoes - grated - 1 per serving

Large Raw Peeled Prawns - 50 grams per serving

Giant Squid (Pota in Spain) - 50 grams per serving

Salt - to taste

Saffron - a pinch

Sweet paprika - 1 teaspoon per serving

The process is very similar to the Fideua recipe, only once you have finished frying the tomato, onion, garlic, seafood etc you will need to add the rice and fry the rice for 3-4 minutes moving it constantly then add all the stock and distribute the rice evenly throughout the paella pan. Raise the heat and boil for 8 minutes then reduce to medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Watch carefully as you may need to adjust the heat as you go.

https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianand ... /fide.aspx

Postby Binky » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:50 am

OH used to do a lot of work in Spain, around Granada and Barcelona. He used to bring home these paella spices, available in all Spanish supermarkets.

We have since found someone selling the same spices on a market in Cambridge, but when these run out, we'll have to make our own with garlic, paprika, and saffron.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:19 pm

Yes you can buy paella packets everywhere in Spain, Binky, & for paella mixta for example too.
Bearing in mind, simply does it, with Spanish cooking.

Ester, my landlady, used to smile and add "algo picante" = https://www.algopicante.com/
A sauce for the paella, that gave it some pep. I think you can still buy it in the shops (I've not really looked).

Great links, Zero.

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:24 pm

it's also available from a number of places online including amazon. the ingredients on the packet of 'valenciana' flavour ones say it doesn't contain tartrazine (e 102) or paprika - if that makes any difference:-

Ingredients: Salt, dehydrated garlic, pepper, malto dextrine, rosemary, thyme, clove, saffron extract and saffron (1%)
Gluten Free: Yes
Suitable for Vegetarians: Yes

the ordinary one contains:-

Ingredients: Garlic, salt (25%), paprika, cornflour, colouring (E102), pepper, clove & saffron (2.5%)
Gluten Free: Yes
Suitable for Vegetarians: Yes
Allergy Advice: E102:

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Nice looking paella. We have a big gas powered paella pan on a tripod that I love getting out to cook al fresco in the summer. Seems a long way off that today!

We had vegetable fried rice last night. Tonight we're having steak with garlic and parsley butter, slow roast tomatoes, greens and potato of some description. Probably chips. There's an apple, potato and celeriac soup on the go and jacket potatoes baking in the oven so lunches are sorted for a couple of days.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Tartrazine is a moderately common allergen so many manufacturers are removing it from products, it’s used to colour those fluorescent orange and yellow fizzy poos

Here’s José Pisarro’s simple recipe, just a base of onion, garlic, and tomato spiced with pimenton de la Vera and saffron

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/article ... rro-recipe

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:57 pm

In another thread, Amyw mentioned that it was Yorks Puds Day yesterday and I'm totally distraught I missed it needless to say so it's a good job they can be made on any day of the year :D

No prizes for guessing that tea today will be veg-filled YP :) The fridge and freezer has lots of veg so a big batch of ratatouille is the plan as it's also versatile to use in veg curry or turned into soup. Since it's snowing, some piping hot crispy roast spuds won't go amiss either.

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Tartrazine is a moderately common allergen so many manufacturers are removing it from products, it’s used to colour those fluorescent orange and yellow fizzy poos

Don't think I've ever experienced any fluorescent orange and yellow fizzy poos :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:52 pm

I thought E102 had been phased out years ago in favour of natural colour annatto (E160b) or maybe turmeric if appropriate. Guess not.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:17 pm

Annatto seeds from the Achiote plant is the saffron yellow/orange food colour of choice in a lot of LatAm, Asian and other dishes esp rice. Can be bought powdered or used whole to make a deeply coloured oil.

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Also annatto for the colouring of Jamaica Patty pastry (<- learned a long while ago from Stokey Sue).

Engaging brain, the tartrazine scare findings started decades ago, although was primarily in relation to fizzypoos and squash that were typically drunk by kids very frequently. I suppose a spot in a paella mix is considered neither here nor there by comparison so no big deal per se if it's still used in that, except for maybe being a cheat if more saffron should be in it but would make it price prohibitive.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:52 pm

I think the amount of tartrazine you'd consume in paella, or in tandoori paste (which occasionally also contains doubtful red colour) is neither here nor there, unless you are actually allergic, like so many things only really a problem if it's a problem for the individual

Today I had a rösti cake topped with fried eggs and accompanied by a side of baked beans (Branston, of course) for brunch. I am very into rösti at the moment, as toast is on the yuk list, but rösti is fine and works in many palces where toast would be a quicker alternative; in this meal the potato is nicer

For some reason bread, toasted crumpets, and croissants are all fine, just the toast is off

Trying to think of something to do with cauliflower for tonight

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 pm

We love roast cauli - and I have a feeling that Mamta has a good cauliflower curry on her site? I might be wrong.
With roast cauli we usually have some sort of lemony, garlicy, tahini-y sauce and often have it on quinoa ...

Oooh, just saw Pampy's link, that looks nice too :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:40 pm

How about an aloo gobi, Sue?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox