Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:32 pm

Made the harissa KDKA - very tasty but I think the chiles were pretty h-h-h-hot!

Hahaha ZC! Depends on the chiles, I suppose. I made mine with some chiles I brought over from Mexico - called Tabacero - never seen them before. Anyway, they grew beautifully in the garden and produced loads of mild to medium chiles, which I dried.
If you use Chile de arbol, or red thai finger chiles, obviously you´re going to get more potency.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Stokey, I prefer FD's sauce too, after trying this one out. Quite different too.

I got a stack of dumpling making hardware last year - must have a serious dumpling sesh.

KKDA - I know! I used NM chiles dulces but the brand I got seems to be getting ever hotter. :shock: A friend sent some crushed chile which was true medium and really great and then some 'mild' chile molido which was like these - hhhhot. Varies by batch/crop. There's a really good looking online outfit out of NM that's just setting up - their site's still a bit buggy but they're getting in all sorts from all over, ground, crushed, whole. Also proper wholesale prices on bulk amounts.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:31 am

Well I guess you could use chile guajillo and just a few hot chiles. It would probably change the colour to darkish brown, but the flavour would still be there.

Postby RockyBVI » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:47 pm

It's been so long since I posted but I have been following. And I have been particularly inspired by OMCO's cooking!

OH has discovered the slow cooker so we have been having a lot of slow cooked food - despite living in the Caribbean....

Last night we had beef and guinness stew. I had it with mash and OH with rice and we both had broccoli. Really tasty.

I'm going to make some egg mayonnaise for lunch today. For dinner I think we'll have Pad Thai - either with salmon or tuna.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:15 am

Hi Rocky

Tonight was very lazy and really tasty.
M&S truffled cauliflower cheese with a baked potato and a few fried mushrooms and some crispy bacon.

Postby Kacey » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:04 am

Made a veggie shepherds pie yesterday, using Ottolenghi's Mushroom traybake as a base. Suelle mentioned using it this way. It was delicious. I must admit, Flavour is my current favourite book. The mushroom traybake and the spicy mushroom ragu are a revelation. Will get a big stack of mushrooms tonight when I meet OH off the train. Will have a big mushroom cook-up at the weekend and fill in those little gaps in the freezer.

Postby Amyw » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Oh I’m quite tempted now , I do like Ottolenghi’s food and I do love mushrooms . Always find it funny how unpopular a food they are to a lot of people .

Cooked tofu for the first time in ages . Mixed with a bit of pesto and chilli flakes then baked with green veg and a little Mediterranean veg sauce I had leftover

Postby Kacey » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Like the look of that tofu Amy, I've never thought of using it in Mediterranean dishes.

Postby Amyw » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:55 pm

It felt a little weird because I’d always use it in Asian dishes too , but then I thought it’s essentially a blank canvas really tofu . It soaked up the pesto and chilli really well

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:23 pm

Great to see you posting Rocky! I had been wondering how you were.

Looks like a tasty plate of food Amy! I like tofu but I’m yet to convince the rest of them. I can get away with it every month or so.

We had a lovely Rick Stein recipe the other day which was Rota/Cadiz style baked bream with waxy potatoes, peppers, vine tomatoes and fennel.

Tonight we had Portuguese chicken with rice and greens...strong with bay and lemon and really delicious with a well needed glass of white wine this evening :D Can the schools reopen now please? :crossed :lol:

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:47 am

I only ever use tofu in Asian food too but that looks great so I may try it at some point.
Tonight I had gammon with new potatoes, carrots and mustard sauce.
It was fine, not particularly exciting though.
I've used the gammon stock to make lentil soup which I'm very much looking forward to, one of my favourites.

Postby Kacey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:11 am

I tried another Ottolenghi 'Flavour' recipe last night, his take on Pasta Puttanesca, made in one big saute pan. It was so good for a relatively quick store cupboard pasta meal.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:56 pm

I'm going to look up those mushroom recipes - sound lovely.

MagicMarmite - I made a lentil soup with ham stock the other week and it was so good!

Last night we had mahi mahi in a tomato and olive sauce with lots of broccoli. I have some egg mayonnaise left so i might cook up some crispy bacon and have an egg mayo and crispy bacon sarnie for lunch. We have rib eye steaks - they will be dinner either tonight or tomorrow. We are trying to support our local restaurant so whichever night we don't have steak we'll have one of their excellent pizzas.

I'm very glad it's Friday!

Postby Binky » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:19 pm

Imagepicture share

Our paella for tonight's dinner. Plum tart and cream for dessert.

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:31 pm

I love paella but have never made it . What’s in yours Binky ?

Postby herbidacious » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:32 pm

Looks delicious. I am not usually a rice person but I am finding myself attracted to rice dishes at the moment.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:28 pm

I have been craving vegetables and rice lately.
Nothing fancy, left over veg chopped up and stirred through fried rice.
Seasoned with whatever I fancy at the time.

Maybe a poached or fried egg on top.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:09 pm

Eggs baked in a sort of rataouille with cumin, sweet smoked paprika, s-d tom paste, chipotle paste, thyme, feta.

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:44 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I have been craving vegetables and rice lately.
Nothing fancy, left over veg chopped up and stirred through fried rice.
Seasoned with whatever I fancy at the time.

Maybe a poached or fried egg on top.

I really like a bit of fried rice . It’s actually one of my favourite dishes from the Chinese . Fried egg on top is lovely and I like a bit of sriracha on top too .. might make some this week actually

Postby Binky » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:13 am

Amyw wrote:I love paella but have never made it . What’s in yours Binky ?

My husband made it and he says it's got cod, prawns, red and green peppers, canned tomatoes, onions, peas, paella rice and paella seasoning.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox