Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:39 pm

The good news is the breakdown recovery truck is coming, and we were covered with our Euro roadside assistance - only because it is raining here - hallelujah! & seemingly it's dangerous to drive to a garage in the drizzle.

The bad news is it sounds like the electrics according to the chap on the phone, but they will probably bring a diagnosis thingy, and let us know the nature of the fault.
The dash has a little spanner now so something beyond me is up.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:53 pm

Good news Gill!
The salesman does sound pathetic. When I was umming and ahhing over buying my current car (a long estate with weird gadgets after years of simple teeny cars), the salesman insisted on taking me out
to an industrial estate and practicing reverse parking until I did it perfectly. It was (and sometimes still is) the automatic handbrake which really stumped me. Quite intimidating - but he got the sale!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:30 pm

Nice chap. what a star.
Talking of which, Scorpion Repairs has just left, and the wipers are fixed! Breakdown recovery CBC rocks!
The steel rod which moves them back and forth had detached from the motor due to the snow. No way would i have been able to sort that out.

Tony thinks I'm a heroine, as he hates dealing with car matters, and would have just gone to a garage. Vrrrroom vrrrroom.

Postby Uschi » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:46 pm

Well done!!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 pm

he he he. That's a sweet one, Uschi. xxx

Postby Uschi » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:37 pm

It's an old one. Remember Mark from the Pond? I think I did it for his birthday.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 am

Yes I do, especially when he went on a husky ride holiday way back when he turned 40 I think?

Postby Uschi » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:42 am

That does ring a bell, but I am not sure.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Ha! Guess what I used this merry morning, Uschi.
(filled with my recently acquired silicone lids)

Sadly, your excellent biscuits are long gone

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Must investigate silicone lids, Gill. Lids just seem to disappear around here. How's the shed studio going?

Postby scullion » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:15 am

a friend of mine called hers her shedio.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:26 am

Shedio!
That's brilliant, I was fluffing around with a nickname but they were unwieldy tongue twisters more like.

Going marvellously, Zero thanks for asking.
How is your painting going along?

I've been dropping hints to Tony for a long time that I want a Chinese lucky cat, and he got me one finally. The shedio is South West facing, so it's almost in the right direction. He got me an excellent Clock last year from an American woman.
I've now put up a shelf for the cat, and for my radio. Internet is droppy in it - I'd like to listen BBC Sounds in there. I'll have to think of an solution.

There is one winter potential problem that was fully discussed here, if anyone is thinking of a similar venture.
I've drilled trickle vents in the windows, but get an egg cup size collection of water condensation in there when it's raining, as I bought a mini dehumidifier for £30. & there is now zilch, dry as a bone.
Never realized how excellent a dehumidifier was.

Fingers crossed this disappears in drier warmer Spring.
I'll get something else to worry about :lol:
Tony also got me a low frequency plug in pest repellent. (Set to number 3, you'll have the local dogs barking, I just have it on 1)

Twas all a lovely project in November and December.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:29 am

silicone lids

On the whole they work.
When they prove a bit fiddly-like and ping, I just use cling wrap.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:06 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Internet is droppy in it - I'd like to listen BBC Sounds in there. I'll have to think of an solution.

You can download most programs after they have broadcast, to a laptop, tablet or phone and listen to them anywhere through a head set or a speaker. Before I got good Bluetooth ear buds I put my phone in my pocket and used the basic wired headphones that came with it. I download a load of stuff before I go to appointments so I can listen while travelling and waiting

Having moaned about my silicone lids I’ve got the hang of them now and use them quite a lot, there’s a little knack to them I think

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:26 pm

That's a great suggestion, Sue.
I put an app on Tony's phone for nighttime insomnia, when he's a bit lonely. But haven't even thought about doing it for myself.

And I haven't got a spare socket in the shedio for some sort of booster or t-p link to my home wifi.
I can pick it up, but not really use it.
I have my own hotspot too for short moments, but very little data as I'm on the cheapest limited package.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:15 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Having moaned about my silicone lids I’ve got the hang of them now and use them quite a lot, there’s a little knack to them I think

I've found that too, Sue. But still have times when, as Gill said, they 'ping' and I resort to cling wrap.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 am

Great news on the dehumidifier Gill - never used one but obviously they really work. Good to know. Not so sure about the pest repellent sound systems tho - sis installed one for her storage shed extension only to find that country rodents had moved in and chewed up all sorts :shock: and the dogs were in and out all the time too so obviously didn't hurt their ears either :lol: :lol: Painting is waiting for slightly warmer weather or at least the bigger ones are. :!: Mainly digital at the moment busy doing coding but the to do list is all there ready to go.

Postby Binky » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:08 pm

Morning folks.

Our cars are never garaged, always out on the drive, but we never have problems with the windscreens due to something called QuickClear. This is a feature of Ford cars, and is a pattern of electric elements embedded in the windscreen glass. Ice and frost melt away in seconds.

Gill, was your cat a Chinese cat (one with a waving arm) or a Japanese cat (like Hello Kitty)? I prefer the Chinese ones.

Speaking of mice, we cleared out a kitchen cupboard recently to get rid of tut and make some space. We came across all sorts of forgotten items, mostly to do with yogurt making or other fads. I found a silicone chocolate mould, bought at Lakeland, and it had been chewed through in several places. I only made chocolates once, but the aroma obviously lingered and was found by our rodent friend.

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:43 pm

My car has a heated front window too (and door mirrors) - they're wonderful!

Postby Uschi » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:That's a great suggestion, Sue.
I put an app on Tony's phone for nighttime insomnia, when he's a bit lonely. But haven't even thought about doing it for myself.

And I haven't got a spare socket in the shedio for some sort of booster or t-p link to my home wifi.
I can pick it up, but not really use it.
I have my own hotspot too for short moments, but very little data as I'm on the cheapest limited package.

A solar panel on the roof might be a good investment. I am not sure about all the ins and outs, but Axel has one for the boat and it does work.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox