Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby scullion » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:17 pm

i wasn't near a telly. i made the lemon polenta cake from the clandestine cake club cook book instead.
the recipe called for 300g of unsalted butter but as i only had one pack i decreased the whole lot by a third - which made it exactly the same as nigella lawson's (other than the ccc recipe only used the juice of one of the lemons for the syrup - which i thought wouldn't be enough so used the two - that nigella's recipe has).
i hope the palace make no comment about the interview. i'm not sure it's worth their giving credence to it with a reaction of any sort or getting provoked into a round of squabbling.
i'm sure we'll be subjected to unavoidable comments from newspapers and the media for the next week - then the couple will have to find another reason to break their need for privacy.
i give their marriage five years tops.

ps i have welsh art on record and will binge bloodlands when it finishes being broadcast.

Postby dennispc » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:33 pm

No Spoilers, just to say Bloodlands is very good.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:36 pm

I agree, even though I'm not fond of James Nesbitt.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I agree, even though I'm not fond of James Nesbitt.

I much prefer him in a lighter role :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 am

I'm really pleased with myself.
Have been looking for iron furniture for the patio - and got a pink bench for me.
Tony harder to please due to his back, and I got a rustic blue bench for him, that he loves. It is far better than the photo too, it's excellent.

We needed an afternoon tea table, and the brief was it could double as a seat with a cushion on.
Searching for days, this one popped up on my amazon search - where it had never featured previously.
£31, was a super price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

But it's now inexplicably more than doubled in price. So I'm feeling doubly pleased with my find.

The Shedio has been given some accent paint in Sundial Yellow. I'll plant a fuchsia in the yellow square pot when they arrive in April sometime.

Image Image Image

Enjoy that creeping in Spring weather. It's not too bad out there considering.

Postby Pampy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:17 pm

They look lovely Gill - I particularly like Tony's bench - it's a beautiful colour.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:24 pm

Pampy, that bench was one of those (Ebay) purchases that far exceeded my expectations.

I've had my fair share of disappointments buying online, as I'm so "price sensitive".
Such as the £60 new dufflecoat, that was more like a dog blanket. It went back.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:36 pm

It's looking lovely Gill!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:42 pm

Oooo, ta, EM.
It's coming on.
Our not having paid anything towards a house for 17years whilst renting, we are thoroughly enjoying buying and doing our own nice things for a change.

We've got plenty of house stuff anyway - as our last owned house was 4 storey.
But these recent purchases will add to the creating that ourdoor livin' I'm so looking forward to.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Lovely Gill! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:14 pm

Thanks Seatness.
It's coming along. And we are being careful not to clutter up the space we have.

Postby Renee » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 pm

They look lovely Gill and I like what I see of your new home. You must be very happy there.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:08 pm

Nice benches Gill - and I like the accents on the shed too

I feel an urge to acquire a proper garden

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Thank you, both.
Yes, it's lovely here. Our village is Saxon, but it does predate Roman times.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:42 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Gillthepainter wrote:Binky and Patsy.

Have a look at the resolution page which has those direct links too on the left. Item not as described & the buyer and I have agreed to cancel the transaction:
https://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

Or as I've said before, open up a chat with an Ebay representative and they will do it for you. Automated responses first as usual, but you then get a live person

On the contact us page.

I have managed to access the link you sent Gill .... I will await a response from the seller ... :crossed :crossed :crossed

Bringing this back to the top ... I have heard nothing since what I thought was a success accessing the link ....Should I have expected something from eBay confirming something or should I go back to the beginning and start again ?

Edited to add: I went into the link again and have asked eBay to intervene on my behalf ...

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Well, that was quick ... just opened up my emails to find one from eBay saying I had a full refund plus postage :thumbsup . Can't get better service than that and I get to keep the 2 unchipped mugs :clap I bet the seller is spitting feathers - he/she sent me a very snotty response to my first message saying 2 of the 4 mugs were chipped saying this was considered as factory seconds . :D :D :D

Postby Renee » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 am

What awful cheek Pat! I'm so pleased that you received a full refund.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:21 am

Gillthepainter wrote:I'm really pleased with myself.

I should say so, Gill. You have been a very busy bee :D
Liking your furniture and colour picks. I do like a bit of wrought iron and metal furniture, me.

Amazon does have inexplicable price fluctuations - I noticed that a couple of years back when looking around to buy a large lens - I waited until it dipped plus I got a manufacturer's discount so I came out on top and happy.

Sis has bought some seriously impressive and hefty funiture items incldung an Agar range and oven in past years for a song off Ebay listings for collection only.

Patsy, speaking of Ebay - they guarantee to refund money and postage if an item is not as described. You just have to open a case. If a seller is at fault and refuses to refund, Ebay steps in and does the refund and presumably deals with the seller themselves. NAD stuff happens a fair bit but then I've also bought a lot of great stuff as well.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:48 am

You tend to remember the excellent purchases, and not the wrong ones from Ebay, they fade.
As a seller, you have to put everything down.
And as a buyer, if the description is a brief 5 words, I won't touch it.

I hope your sister is well, Zero.
And still enjoying those happly bargains.

I just got a warranty credit from Amazon. And without a word from me, a £20 credit on my account.
I wonder why they did that, it wasn't necessary.
My electric toothbrush is 5 years old, and vibrates on the richter scale. But his new one (the same model), has decided just to buzz.

Postby scullion » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:27 pm

i've had lots of really good buys from eBay, many of which are things that are no longer available new or are for things that i'm quite happy to have second hand and far cheaper.
a replacement part for my overlocker that i couldn't get anywhere other than from, a chinese company, on eBay meant that i could repair the machine rather than junking it - and continue making scrubs last spring.
we've also bought a car via eBay. great little car. then sold it some years later - on eBay.
our dinnerware and cutlery came via them, too.
we've had a couple of 'incidences' but they've been dealt with rapidly and satisfactorily.
i too, wouldn't touch anything with little description or only one photo. the thought of caveat emptor kicks in.

i like 'marketplace', too.

i'm in favour of anything that keeps reusable stuff out of landfill.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox