Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 pm

To be honest I might not have bothered with the flames, but for a birthday party I did the flames instead of candles on the cake
They were quite boozy - I used Mandarine Napoleon as Waitrose decided to stop stocking it and sold it off very cheap!

Postby scullion » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:47 pm

Binky wrote:Has anyone seen "Julia and Me" about the lady who followed every recipe in Julia Child's book (Mastering the Art of French Cooking)?

that's 'julie and julia', yes, good film. i think that if you made everything from 'the art of french cooking' it would take longer than a year!
no, i have some books that i've never made anything from let alone 40%! i keep meaning to give myself a challenge like that but it always seems like it could become a little expensive - and leave one with rather a lot of ingredients, parts of which are used once and which then drift to the back of the cupboard.

Postby Pampy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:35 am

I don't think I've ever come across a cookery book where I liked every recipe.

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:31 pm

This is food-related as it refers to a gas hob.

As some will know, we bought an induction hob and then had to dispose of the old one. We listed it on Ebay as collection only and cash on collection. We have used Ebay maybe 6/7 times in the past 20 years to sell something, so not vastly experienced.

Our location was clearly shown in the listing. The successful bidder then told us he lives in another county and it would involve a 160 mile round trip, which he doesn't want to make due to covid restrictions. Can we store the item until covid restrictions are lifted? Or post it?

As it's made of glass and bulky, it cannot be posted (that's why we stipulated collection only). We need the space rather than the cash, and naively assumed that any bidder would be local.

Question: is it possible to cancel a 'sale' (no money has changed hands) with Ebay citing problems with buyer's inability to collect? Morally speaking he should have thought about covid travel prior to putting in his bid. I don't know what Ebay's attitude to this would be. Any ideas?

Postby Uschi » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:51 pm

I'd turn to Ebay for advice. They might well let you cancel the sale under the circumstances.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:25 pm

IIRC the buyer has to foot the bill for postage, so you can tell him that you can send by post, but at his own risk ...

I recently bid and won 4 Maxwell Williams plain white mugs and had to pay the £4.20 postage cost. When they arrived I immediately noted that 2 of the mugs were chipped. I messaged back to the seller that rather than send them all back I would accept a refund for the 2 chipped ones. I received a snotty response saying that she had stated they were factory seconds and there was no come-back as she had clearly stated that. She then closed the account down. To my mind, factory seconds or not, chipped mugs are unfit for purpose ... I bided my time, then yesterday received a message from eBay asking me to leave feedback for my recent purchases ......I wonder what happens next ?

Postby Pampy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that ebay gives a buyer's guarantee so you should be able to make a claim against the seller through them.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Patsy, you open a case with Ebay, and ask for a refund.
When the seller closes their account, you will be given your money back I'm absolutely certain. You are protected.

Binky, there is a dropdown menu to offer the item to the second highest bidder, as the sale has fallen through.
It is unacceptable to bid on an item, when you cannot collect it.
The sale is void, and you are in the right.

I find Ebay is either fantastic at getting people together - or an absolutely dross of a market place.

Second Chance Offer is the way to go in your Sellers' area.
I did it with a bike, when the first chap kept coming up with excuses not to collect.

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:14 pm

Gill, I can't see the drop-down menu you mention.
Following the eBay website advice pages, I found a section on cancelling a sale.

It says to go to 'Cancelling a Transaction' and here it shows that I have sold this item, and for more information select 'View Cancel Details'.

When I do this, it says in red letters 'This listing has been removed or the item is not available'. There is no offer of a re-listing or approaching the next highest bidder. What am I doing wrong?

When I checked the 'My eBay' summary, it just says item 'Sold' and buyer hasn't paid yet, but I can contact him directly. No mention of the transaction being cancelled.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:32 pm

You have to cancel the transaction.
I'm not sure why the menu is not available on your order, that is odd.

First question, was it an auction? Or Buy It Now.

Second suggestion is just to get Ebay to cancel it for you.
At the very bottom of this link, you can open up a Chat dialogue with an Ebay member of staff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/get ... on?id=4136

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:32 pm

Another quick thought.
Has the buyer deleted their account on you?

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:48 pm

It was an auction Gill. I don't think he's cancelled his account as we have been in email communication (via eBay) this morning.

We are reasonable people and will give him a bit more time to agree the cancellation. Auction ended Saturday evening, so he has until Tuesday evening to contact us.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:42 pm

Very simple to cancel a sale on Ebay - go to the seller dashboard, click on the item and cancel the sale - it will ask for a reason - just pick one you like. If the buyer hasn't paid that's it. If the buyer has paid, you issue a PayPal refund.

A seller doesn't need to have the buyer agree to a cancellation.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 pm

People do make mistakes, so it's nice to give them a bit of slack.
I've got an immaculate feedback history, marred last month by someone who didn't read the description, and gave me a vile review.

I can take the hit, as it's 1 review in 300.

I sell things that I can afford to write off, and I just gave him a full refund, which he appreciated, and apologised for the review.
Not wanting unhappy buyers, me. And also, I've had excellent customer services in the past, and appreciate a generous compromise.

And like to give it back too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:48 pm

Yes, I'm confused by the lack of a cancel options, Zero.
Maybe it's down to the new layout - my seller's hub is a bit of a mess to navigate.

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:13 pm

You see that's another thing. We don't have a sellers hub.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:58 pm

I bought some table knives from a seller in France

All he had to do was print out my address and stick it on the parcel.

But they don’t use letters in street addresses in France so he “corrected” 2A to 24

That’s possibly why Royal Mail prefer 2a

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Patsy, you open a case with Ebay, and ask for a refund.
When the seller closes their account, you will be given your money back I'm absolutely certain. You are protected.

I could find no way of communicating with eBay about this ... it simply said that the purchase had been completed .... I just kept going round in circles as all routes led back the seller who had closed off the purchase. I need a young person to talk me through this :oops: :roll:

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 pm

Patsy, you and me both!

When you find this young person who knows Knowledge, pass them along to this old
gimmer please.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:06 am

I've just remembered why I have only used Ebay once!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox