Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:25 am

I’ve done quite well with eBay to be fair, buying not selling, sometimes you can track down just what you want at a good price - new and secondhand

I remember having awful trouble tracking down winceyette nighties for mum, found some so cheap I thought they’d be awful, they were really good

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:08 am

Binky and Patsy.

Have a look at the resolution page which has those direct links too on the left. Item not as described & the buyer and I have agreed to cancel the transaction:
https://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

Or as I've said before, open up a chat with an Ebay representative and they will do it for you. Automated responses first as usual, but you then get a live person

On the contact us page.

Postby Binky » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:02 am

Gill, when I went via that page, I got the same unsatisfactory answers. I have copied the pages for you to see. Also, the heading isn't accurate - we haven't agreed between us, and the item was as described. The problem is that he can't fulfill,his side of the purchase i.e. collecting.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:51 am

Are you on Firefox by any chance?
Tony won't leave firefox even though he gets glitches all the time.
If not, try another browser anyway, Binky. Either Chrome, or even Edge. Or look on a mobile.

(I use Opera). I'm afraid I cannot replicate your error my end as my items are more than 30 days old.

Are you messaging your buyer too, about agreeing to cancel the transaction. Ebay does look at the message trail when making their judgments.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:51 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Binky and Patsy.

Have a look at the resolution page which has those direct links too on the left. Item not as described & the buyer and I have agreed to cancel the transaction:
https://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

Or as I've said before, open up a chat with an Ebay representative and they will do it for you. Automated responses first as usual, but you then get a live person

On the contact us page.

thanks Gill .. I will look there ... have a couple of things to do. First is a Fitsteps class, then a trip to my local GC to exchange a bag of compost that ISNOT peat free for one that is ...

Oh, Morning all :wave: :wave: :wave:

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:06 pm

You're up and at it, Patsy.
I'm not even dressed ;)

I've been setting up my new laptop, which is excellent. And I'm making a new laptop case template in paper.
I'll be in my shedio later, sewing it up.

Postby Binky » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:05 pm

Gill, we followed your suggestion about doing this on a mobile and.......success!

There are more options on a mobile than on an iPad screen. The cancel option which others have talked about (and not available to me) is clearly listed on the mobile.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:17 pm

:birthday-dancer
I pleased about that. We got there in the end.
I'm running out of things to sell now, I've had a thorough clear out over the last year, with the house move, I only sell "nice" things - none of your dross.
& I'm left with 3 things that will not budge not matter what.
I'll put them into a charity shop when they open - they're good things, but just won't sell even with make me a cheeky offer.

I'm a bit of a fan of Ebay until it goes wrong that is ;( - as I've made over £1,000 selling just this and that.
And I'm by no means a hoarder, never have been, so I don't like to hold on to things I don't really appreciate.

Postby Binky » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:45 pm

De-cluttering is good for the soul. It also helps if someone else can get pleasure or use from your cast-offs, and you get some cash into the bargain.

As I probably said, we don't sell much on eBay, but have had success with most items. Our best sale was an open Canadian whitewater canoe which we bought in the US and shipped back here. Sold it last year for £1000.

I have loads of clothes which I will never wear now, and previously would donate to the local charity shops.They're all closed at present and we want to free up wardrobe space, so over the weekend we bagged up 5 sacks of clothes from Boden, Rohan, White Company, Autograph, Joules, Geox shoes, and a couple of blazers from OH's wardrobe. All picked up this morning by the council recycling service.

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Binky wrote:Gill, we followed your suggestion about doing this on a mobile and.......success!

There are more options on a mobile than on an iPad screen. The cancel option which others have talked about (and not available to me) is clearly listed on the mobile.

iPads usually have limited functionality on a lot of sites, not just eBay. Usually just the very basics.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:03 pm

That's a classy bit of recycling, Binkiness.

It's funny how you "double" your wardrobe when you declutter your clothes. As you can see all your items so much better than before.

My memorable sale was a £10 belt (gilded new romantic metal thing) from the 80's. Which sold for £70.
I've sold jewellery with Fellows. They take costume too, and I've never been disappointed.

I never realized that before, Pampy about ipads.
Maybe that's why I never truly fell in love with my ipad mini. It couldn't do some things that my laptop would.
Guess what? I sold it 4 years later on Ebay .... :lol:

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:08 pm

I remember my sister, who is a great one for booking deals, researching holidays. She saw one with a great offer when she was on her laptop but didn't have time to book it at the time. She later went onto the site on her iPad and the offer wasn't there - went back on the laptop and there it was. Occasionally mobile phone apps or websites accessed from a mobile browser also have similar limitations. Apps are getting better though.

ETA : Just had an email advising me that an item I've ordered has been dispatched and it gives a link to track it. The link works on my pc but not my mobile.

Postby Binky » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:48 pm

This info about iPads, laptops and mobiles is hugely interesting to me. I am sadly clueless otherwise. Ask me about history, literature, foreign countries, art, cookery even but technology no, not a chance.

How do people get to know 'stuff'? Do you have the benefit of children/grandchildren to help out, or do you have a natural aptitude for these things? Some people do. My now late MIL was the one who mastered the burglar alarm, the video recorder, the timer on the oven, the cine camera while her husband looked on in a gently befuddled way (he was master of the garden and household repairs though).

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 pm

I worked in IT for 40 years! Have been out of it for a while so some new stuff has passed me by but I'm usually still able to put what I learnt to good use.
My ex-husband was one of the best technical IT security people of his time - but had a complete lack of common sense. He was absolutely clueless when it came to normal life - couldn't cook, no idea about housework, couldn't put a shelf up, change a plug...you get the idea! :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:06 pm

I never worked in IT, though I worked very closely with IT, and I did some programming (which I refuse to call "coding" as medical coding was huge part of my work and it would be confusing) so I'm fairly confident about trying stuff out

I tend to do anything important on my PC, just so I can see it clearly on the big monitor, but I've learned to use my iPhone & iPad. If in doubt on any system I right click (mouse) or tap on a touch screen and see if I get a pop up that helps - surprisingly often, that's the answer to the question.

I always read the menus to see what choice of actions they offer

If all else fails I Google - How do I do X on iPad? Or How do I do Y on Windows 10? That usually finds a user forum, support hub or useful video

I just take it slowly and treat it as a little bit of research :thumbsup

I also swear at my devices often and loudly, only Alexa objects! :evil: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:02 pm

I used to teach excel, word powerpoint as part of my job in the computer department at Chase Manhatten.
And we've used computers at home (since 1997), & I progressed to teaching myself home computing and html.
I used to move around computers using command prompt, but I don't have the confidence to do that nowadays.
Although I did self build Tony's last desktop as it was cheaper, and will open up a computer tower if something is wrong and I have nothing to lose.

Smart, bluetooth and internet devices I embrace, and read the manuals.

Tony has me doing everything.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:13 pm

I thought it rather odd that you CAN download the iPad manual to the eBooks folder - but you have to hunt around t'interweb for it, it doesn't come pre-installed

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:17 pm

That's very industrious Gill. Ive never sold very much mainly because it's a pita taking loads of photos, which is important imo.

I do a quite lot of Ebay buying and mostly vintage stuff, hard to get stuff or new/like new - brand name clothes, books, dvds/cds. I've always been a charity shop and market hunter and Ebay is just an online version only with added postage :? .

How do people get to know techy stuff Binky? It's actually just like any other stuff - you need to have something you want to find out enough about to make you dig around and read a lot - and these days it's all online. Manuals, articles, blogs etc. Same as shopping or cooking or gardening for eg. You create an aptitude for an area or or subject.

Re device differences - I've done a bit of recent web design/coding and it's all about optimizing for different screen sizes - what's included or made accessible or available on different devices is commonly filtered or triggered by the screen size of the device you are using. It's very much down to how good the designers are in integrating user interfaces and everything that's available inside a main web site via an app or screen size filtering systems rather than all of it being accessible all of the time as it once was. Some sites prioritize phone views over others, some prioritise desktop/laptops. Tablets are rarely prioritized.

For eg on Ebay the default settings and view you see each time you open the phone app or land on the laptop website are sometimes annoyingly different as are search filter functions. Same applies to browsers.

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:34 pm

My ipad upgrade came with a guide automatically added to the first page.

Postby Binky » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 pm

It's actually quite telling that the ones who have or have developed confidence using computers/iPads/laptops/mobiles have some technical background. I am full of admiration for your talent (and willingness to patiently explain to others).

To people like me, it's like learning a foreign language. "Check your dashboard for the zog, and then pringle the oompah. Don't forget to dwing your zumbles" Reading manuals with paragraphs like that make my eyes glaze over as I've lost the thread after a few sentences.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox