Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Pampy wrote:My car has a heated front window too (and door mirrors) - they're wonderful!

Ditto my Skoda Yeti. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Postby aero280 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:29 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:And I haven't got a spare socket in the shedio for some sort of booster or t-p link to my home wifi.
I can pick it up, but not really use it.
I have my own hotspot too for short moments, but very little data as I'm on the cheapest limited package.

You don't need a spare socket to use a TP-Link. If you choose the slightly higher spec version, the bit that plugs in has another socket incorporated. All you need is an ethernet cable between the router and the first TP-Link and another between the second TP Link and the laptop in the shed.

Like this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:45 pm

Hey, thanks Aero. I'll have a look tomorrow, as unlimited wifi would be great for me in there.

Yes Uschi. You can put a solar panel on them. l looked online for one, varying strength, and they are either easy to fit, or difficult depending on your ability.

I prefer the Chinese ones.

Yes, it is, and my preferred one too.
I've made a couple of handmade birthday cards before as I just like these lucky cats, but they take too long, so I've given up.
I'll pop off and look at your lovely new hob later .....

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:50 pm

LOL Zero.
I think I'm just going to have to brace myself for the critters. Mice, insects, bugs. Hokay.
But big hairy spiders no thank you. I'm going to have to learn to be calm in their presence, aren't I.

Maybe March or April will be nice and warm for your painting again. :crossed

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Ha! That’s the cat they’ve got at next door’s noodle bar, much loved by local children

Not surprised those lovely cards are a lot of work Gill

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:27 pm

A local Vietnamese nail bar has lucky cats on the frontage window shelf, which are mesmerising (if momentarily) so probably do attract customers' notice memorably. Cats are different though (which colour, which arm):
https://luckymanekineko.wordpress.com/2 ... lucky-cat/

Does one need one of each of them, or would the greediness of wanting all things be a step too far in tempting providence I wonder.

Gillthepainter, say after me: "Spiders are good. We like spiders." Say it many, many times. Some are easier to live with if you study and recognise them, e.g. ceiling ones tend to have homes they go back to whilst floor ones seem to be lost so are better ushered to the door.

Apparently the biggest hairy floor ones are most prevalent on the Isle of Wight, so unless your shed is a Tardis taking off, it'll only suffer spring and autumn for a month maybe. The most little black house spiders (ceiling) are in Ireland. Gawd knows how those claims were proved statistically.

Postby Uschi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:14 pm

The big hairy spiders with the long legs who run along the ground have homes (in corners), too, but they will venture forth sometimes in search of better homes, a new girlfriend, or a place to build a nest.

I had developed a spider phobia, too, as a child, but my father gave me a tegenaria tralala in a jar one day and my biology teacher uncle told me how to keep it (wet cotton wool for drinks and live insects for food). I called the first one Grace for its long legs (Grace Jones) and I had several over the years. They don't exactly get tame, but they get used to being handled.

Postby Binky » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Grace Jones was one of our favourite performers 'back in the day' and I know what you mean about her legs. I found this clip from the Jubilee concert. Grace, you are as mad as a box of frogs.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vSa5EvWqB7g

Postby Pampy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:39 pm

I remember that! She definitely is as mad as a box of frogs! Didn't she think the concert was for the Queen's birthday?

Postby Uschi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:47 pm

She was and is great!
https://youtu.be/JkMwq1aAAfE

Postby Rainbow » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:39 am

jeral wrote:Gillthepainter, say after me: "Spiders are good. We like spiders." Say it many, many times. Some are easier to live with if you study and recognise them, e.g. ceiling ones tend to have homes they go back to whilst floor ones seem to be lost so are better ushered to the door.

Apparently the biggest hairy floor ones are most prevalent on the Isle of Wight, so unless your shed is a Tardis taking off, it'll only suffer spring and autumn for a month maybe. The most little black house spiders (ceiling) are in Ireland. Gawd knows how those claims were proved statistically.

At least you don't get all the poisonous ones we have in Oz!! Not so much big and hairy - just small and nasty!! Well at least that was the red-back type we often saw in South Australia - often in the shed!!

Postby Pampy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:22 am

Amazing the difference an apostrophe can make ... :lol: :lol: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=368 ... 2261463120

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:47 am

whatever it is - isn't available.

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:38 am

Rainbow wrote:At least you don't get all the poisonous ones we have in Oz!! Not so much big and hairy - just small and nasty!! Well at least that was the red-back type we often saw in South Australia - often in the shed!!

I'm sure I read that those lurk under loo seats too, eek, although quite why escapes me, unless they have a very warped "Gotcha" sense of humour ;)

Postby Rainbow » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:40 am

:lol: :lol:

Postby Pampy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:55 pm

scullion wrote:whatever it is - isn't available.

Sorry - forgot it's from a private FB group. It shows 2 pictures, one of Jacinda Ardern (NZ PM) and the other of Doris. Above JA's it says "New Zealand 25 deaths and below "When you know your sh1t"; above Doris' it says "United Kingdom 101,162 deaths" and below "When you know you're sh1t". (NB Death numbers are not up to date!)

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 pm

in South Australia - often in the shed!!

Stop it! :lol:

I don't know how I managed it, but I watched an Australian video of a chap "getting the house spider" on the kitchen ceiling.
And it was the size of a baby's head. Aaaaaargh.

Postby Binky » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:54 pm

Gill, this is our chalet which we used to sleep in on summer nights. Not now. As you can see it's under a tree and we once had an bunch of earwigs which had somehow made their way from the tree into the chalet. OH solved the problem by chopping down branches closest to the roof and rear. Never had a problem since with either spiders or insects.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:36 pm

That is rather lovely, Binkers.
And it's encouraging to know why you don't have an insect problem - as we have no trees or plants anywhere near my shedio.

We want a red bench for sitting outside, but they are not easy to find on the internet.
I've seen a few with flat seating (= uncomfortable) but we are looking for one with curvature for a comfortable sit.

Postby Uschi » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:49 pm

I think essential oils are an anathema to spiders. So a potpourro might solve your problem.

I saw a video of an Australian spider big enough to attempt to pull a mouse into its den. That would be a bit big, even for me.

Binky, what a wonderful house!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox