Register

Halibut

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Halibut

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:36 pm

On my Greek holiday (with the weekend man - I must have been mad ;) :roll: ) a couple of years ago I ordered a local fish dish. Both the waiter and the weekend man explained to me how to remove the bones ... Hello !!! I wouldn't have ordered it if I didn't think I could deal with it. I understand the waiter explaining, but the weekend man won't touch any fish if it contains bones .... just one of several occasions when I got soooooo angry ;) :evil: :roll:

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:20 pm

I have to admit I get bored with eating a fish if there are too many bones to pick through!
The Greeks love red snapper; and it´s Caribbean cousin is also very popular this side of the Atlantic.
I think the boniest fish I ever ate was in Prague - river carp.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:46 pm

I gave up half way through eating a grayling - I've never seen so many bones!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:53 pm

The bonnets edible fish IMO is the gurnard - I only buy them if the fishmonger will be able to fillet it, though I have once or twice bought large ones, and rather wastefully and inefficiently filleted them myself

Lovely Fisk though

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 pm

I wonder if Rick Stein has a "how to" for filleting gurnard, his being a fan of it. He probably does put bonnets on them ;)

Our fishmonger had red snapper once last summer, but I hesitated and missed out, then he had only frozen pieces. I managed to cook only one of them well (not under or over) and liked it. I don't recall any bones in any of them or they'd have had to be a bin job (choking hazard for me) so must have been lucky.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:33 pm

I think they're a choking hazard for everyone! :lol:

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 pm

For me, it's the tiny hair bones that are potentially deadly, like in kippers. It's impossible not to detect big bones whilst in mouth isn't it? I am wary of cutlets though where big bone "bits" might be left if one or more has been chopped through.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:22 pm

That should of course have been boniest not bonnets :roll:

The problem with gurnard as with a number of smallish fish is that there seem to be extra bones connecting the fins to the main skeleton and I’m never sure what to do with them, and I’m not sure my fishmonger is either!

Another hazard is the “frill” round plaice, flounder, and to a lesser extent sole, but I’ve given in, and remove that with scissors before cooking the not-quite-whole fish, you don’t lose a significant amount of meat

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Blinking 'eck - one minute, 16 seconds = done! I see he used a bonnet no less (kudos to autocorrect) to protect his hand from the spiky head. OK, so 1m 16secs it is then folks!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:58 pm

Wow - so he starts with the dorsal fin

The difficulty will be getting one not already cut to gut it

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Our fishmonger sells (and weighs) all whole fish in the round before scaling, gutting etc. I have asked occasionally for one to be sliced at the top (either side of top ridge bones where applicable) and gut it that way so as to butterfly and stuff it. It amazes me that first they know what I'm on about and second take it in their stride. They do have sharper knives than I do of course.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:39 am

Excellent vid find. I'll remember no grayling or gurnard - I've made something of Rick Stone's using gurnard, can't remember what (obviously no a keeper).
From his food heroes book that went to the charity shop.

I've now just seen the cutlet word I was looking for, on Benares website menu: Tronçon
I give it a miss if I see it.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox