Register

Vanilla Pudding?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Vanilla Pudding?

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:46 pm

I found a recipe that uses a pack of vanilla pudding, the cooked version rathan than the uncooked (didn't know both exist but you learn something new every day ;) ) as a filling.
I'm guessing I could use good old custard powder with a bit of extra vanilla?
Any idea how much powder to milk to get the same thickness/consistency?

Thanks.

Re: Vanilla Pudding?

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Giz a clue. What are you trying to make with it?

Or do you mean just a set pudding in a ramekin, nothing else?

Postby Suelle » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Presumably you mean thickened by heat, rather than set by gelatine, when you say 'cooked'?

I'd look for a vanilla blancmange recipe using cornflour - unless you particularly want the yellow colour of custard powder.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:54 pm

Yes, it could be helpful to know what it's for

I assume that "cooked" vanilla pudding is what I'd think of as blancmange and the other is an Instant Whip / Angel Delight type of thing

You could probably use custard powder, or even cornflour, sugar & vanilla, custard powder will obviously affect the colour if that matters

I'd guess Dr Oetker's is the commonest, and it seems that one sachet is just cornflour, salt, colour and flavour, weighs 37 grams, and is cooked with 500ml of milk, so no sugar which is maybe the important thing, I'd probably just use 35-37g cornflour and extra flavour

https://germandeli.co.uk/452-dr-oetker- ... nille.html

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:46 pm

Thank you both.

jeral wrote:Giz a clue. What are you trying to make with it?

Or do you mean just a set pudding in a ramekin, nothing else?

A bread thing, like a Danish pastry, with a pudding 'filling/topping'

Suelle wrote:Presumably you mean thickened by heat, rather than set by gelatine, when you say 'cooked'?

I'd look for a vanilla blancmange recipe using cornflour - unless you particularly want the yellow colour of custard powder.

I do indeed mean thickened by heat, much better explaination than my cooked :oops: .

I would probably use custard powder as it can be seen and I think a touch of yellow would look better than white(ish). Also think vanilla bean paste rather than extract might look a bit more attractive.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 pm

A creme patisserie recipe would give you what you're looking for I think (lots online). It's pretty much what's been discussed but should give the consistency you're after.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:A creme patisserie recipe would give you what you're looking for I think (lots online). It's pretty much what's been discussed but should give the consistency you're after.

Thanks EM. I think this would do nicely.

I've never made creme pat (or proper custard come to that), might have to stretch my culinary wings :thumbsup.

ETA: bit of a posh alternative to a packet of vanilla pudding though :lol: .

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:25 am

You could try this recipe for custard slice. It's how I make it, i.e. adding cream, although I add double cream by eye.
https://larderpantryandgarden.com/2020/ ... ard-slice/

Postby Uschi » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:25 am

German recipes call for that kind of pudding often. I guess custard powder would work. To get a suitably "stiff" pudding you would have to twice the amount of powder to the same amount of liquid and maybe a little starch.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:34 am

Creme patissiere by Michel Roux Jr. My go-to creme pat recipe. Never fails. Make exactly as directed. Use 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste if you don't have beans. Cover with cling film while cooling/before using to prevent a skin forming. To thicken further if you need a very stiff filling or need it for piping reduce milk by 100ml. Cool thoroughly before using. Keeps several days fridged if making ahead.
https://keeprecipes.com/recipe/howtocoo ... tisserie-0

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:05 am

I rember a long ago discussion of something on a list of ingredients a child had to take into school in France - described iirc as base for crème pâtissière

Turned out to be a sachet of flavoured cornflour - vanilla pudding mix effectively, which Vahiné sold at the time, though I just looked and it seems they no longer do

I have been using Fanny Craddock’s crème pat recipe for half a century, it’s easy but can be a bit eggy so I switched to Prue Leith’s. Haven’t made any in a long time though

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:23 am

I wish I'd seen that recipe when I'd run out of cornflour, Zero. You did say yours used plain flour.

I love making it. The smell in the kitchen is wonderful. As warming as the aroma of frying onions ;)

Vanilla pastry cream, Jose Pizarro's
3 Large free-range egg yolks
35 g Cornflour
75 g Caster sugar
500 ml Whole milk
1 Vanilla pod

Mix the eggs, sugar and cornflour together in one bowl.
Bring the milk and vanilla to the boil.
Pour over the ingredients, whisking. Put the mix back on the heat stirring constantly until very thickened, and leave to cool and set.

Always lovely to find an excuse to use my vanilla extract!

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Thanks for the further info folks.

Doubt I'll be able to have a go at making this for a while, need to see how our milk supplies are going as we get nearer our next shopping delivery :roll: .

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:25 pm

Both types of flour work, Gill. Probably equally well as I've never used corn flour and you swear by it :D Is that your bottle of vanilla extract? How many pods and what sort if alcohol did you use?

Speaking of vanilla, I've just ordered some vanilla paste and about to make a bottle of vanilla extract.I'm reading that 190 proof is what to use but ordinary proof is probably ok too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm

ZeroCook wrote:I'm reading that 190 proof is what to use but ordinary proof is probably ok too.

I had to think about that - it's so long since we've used "proof" for alcohol strength here (I just looked it up - that's 95% in the current system)

You can in EU buy 90% alcohol for home use quite easily but here I think it would be cheaper to buy the best vanilla extract ready made - you can sometimes buy "Polish Spirit" which is extra strong vodka at 70-80% but it's priced as a premium drink

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 pm

I'm clearly not used to proof any more, either, Sue.
What's vodka = 40% abv?

I just use Tescos value vodka. Each time I take out a tablespoon, I will pour in the cheapest vodka I can get my hands on back in.
Since 2010, I've only used 1 bottle, so it's not an expensive product.
Pods, there are 10 in there - and you don't need that many. I left it in a dark cupboard for 1mth, then started using it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I'm clearly not used to proof any more, either, Sue.
What's vodka = 40% abv?

Yes, standard spirit is 40% abv = 70 proof

Although in practice, many economy/value brands are 37.5% abv, lower rate of duty, And premium gin is often 43-45%, supposed to carry more flavour into your cocktail

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox