Register

snacks and nibbles

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

snacks and nibbles

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:10 pm

I'm really tired of nuts. Even pistachios.

Any suggestions for a mid afternoon snack, usually with a cup of rooibos tea.
Just a small something, dry bite size, between breakfast and evening meal. Any ideas?

Re: snacks and nibbles

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:39 pm

Is fresh and dried fruit too sugary for you? My local health studio suggested crudites or slices of apple, segments of orange etc., Dried fruits (figs, apricots etc sometimes feel more substantial than raisins), small cubes of cheese with or without olives. I like toasted pumpkin seeds too.

Other ideas - freshly popped popcorn (you dont have to make much if you pop your own).

Dry crackers.

I've got a recipe for high energy date balls which keep for ages and which you can make however large or small you like but think they might be too sweet for you even though the sugar all comes from the dates.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:48 pm

If in doubt, toast or crackers and Marmite fits the bill here.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:06 pm

Dates do it for me.

Postby Suelle » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Peanut butter on cream crackers is what I often have at that time of day.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: snacks and nibblesit was Chinch

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:53 pm

If you´ve got an Indian Grocery near, Gill, try some of their snacks. the classic one is Bombay Mix, of course, but there ar loads of others, ranging from fairly mild to raging hot :shock: I can´t get enough of them and they´re a perfect little snack.
Another alternative is cream crackers, but bite-sized. with spices.
I think it was Chinch who posted a recipe waaaay back last May. I tweaked it to my taste and tried adding (1) cumin seeds (2) nigella seeds (3) celery seeds (4) garam masala. Made about 500 gms for New Year´s Eve, and I´ve still got some left. the dog loves them as a treat as well :gonzo

Postby scullion » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:07 pm

i've made small biscuits, from leftover pastry, with the addition of things like cumin seeds or other spices. they turn out a little like puri (but not deep fried) and are also good with cream cheese etc.
methi puri are good, too, if you have an asian store nearby - or make them yourself - as are sev.

the sev is chickpea flour if you are gluten free.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:25 pm

I've got a recipe for high energy date balls

Yes please, EM.

What wonderful suggestions you come up with. Thank you everyone. I've added dates, popcorn, bombay mix and peanut butter to my shopping list.
I've got ready made pastry in the freezer, that can be embellished, thank you, Scullion.

Dried fruit seems such a price, I haven't got a problem eating it, EM, just the cost puts me off (in the baking section).
Perhaps Aldi has it cheaper, ours is right next to our Tescos, so no trouble to visit post lockdown.

Is this a good enough recipe for methi poori, Scullion? https://hebbarskitchen.com/methi-puri-r ... uri-poori/

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:36 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:you´ve got an Indian Grocery near, Gill, try some of their snacks. the classic one is Bombay Mix, of course, but there ar loads of others, ranging from fairly mild to raging hot I can´t get enough of them and they´re a perfect little snack.

You no longer need an Asian grocer - some of the best are made by Cofresh of Leicester, and they are in nearly every supermarket, cheap as, err, chips :oops:
As they are mainly made from pulses and maize they aren’t sugary, and this brand aren’t too salty, I’d start with the London Mix
Natco and Fudco also do some nice ones, almost as widely available in the World Foods aisle

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Celery sticks with peanut butter in the furrow.

V disappointed yesterday, saw the celery in the salad drawer, grabbed the pb from the larder.

"Celery" was actually the centre of a romaine lettuce.
Humph.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:02 pm

I'll look out for Cofresh, Sue.
I think Tesco has quite the range of this style of snacks near their chilled aisles. Some look quite puffy.

Shame about that lettuce in disguise, WWordsworth. :wave

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:13 pm

WWordsworth wrote: "Celery" was actually the centre of a romaine lettuce. Humph.

That works quite well with PB too ;).

Date, Almond & Tahini Energy Balls
(from 'The Saffron Tales' by Yasmin Khan. I went to a bookselling talk and these were offered to each member of the audience as they went in. I have made then several times since. I know they contain nuts - but in disguise :lol: ).

130g almonds
10g (2 tblesp) ground almonds
150g Iranian or Medjool dates, pitted
2 tblesp Tahini
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla Extract
pinch sea salt

(NB. I have used just ground almonds, cheap cooking dates and a pinch of table salt with quite presentable results!)

Put all the ingredients, except the ground almonds into a food processor and blitz until it forms a ball. You want a smooth mixture with a few grains of almond still visible for texture.

Roll the mixture into 16 small balls around 3cm in diameter. Keep a bowl of water nearby to dip your hands into as the mixture will stick to them.

Spread the ground almonds onto a large plate and roll each ball into them to get a fine but even coating (too thick is not so nice in the mouth).

Place the balls in an airtight container and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze.

Re dried fruit. It can seem expensive but things like figs or dried apricots are usually eaten quite sparingly so last for some time.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:18 pm

Brilliant.
And also a use for last year's jar of tahini that I haven't opened yet. The only thing I don't have in are the dates.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:03 pm

I really like these, very crunchy and not many calories.
There is sour cream and chive flavour too; I prefer these ones.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /297348848

Postby Amyw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:24 pm

Boiled eggs are nice as a little protein hit in the afternoon or a little pot of Greek yoghurt with a bit of honey . I quite like a couple of ryvita with a thin scrape of cheese or cheese spread

Postby scullion » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Is this a good enough recipe for methi poori, Scullion? https://hebbarskitchen.com/methi-puri-r ... uri-poori/

that looks good. i may have a go at that recipe, too.
be careful they're very more-ish

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:49 pm

I’m going to be a misery here. Years and years of being fat and being on endless diets have taught me not to snack or nibble. It hasn’t made a lot of difference to my weight but it has really impinged on my brain. :?

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:03 pm

I think it depends if you include 'snacks' in your daily meal/calorie planning or just have them as 'naughty' extras. It was easier in the days when we used terms such as 'elevenses' and knew what we were talking about.
Gill has already told us that she goes from breakfast to supper with just this planned 'snack' inbetween and obviously considers what she's having. I am working hard at being so controlled!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:13 am

You no longer need an Asian grocer - some of the best are made by Cofresh of Leicester

Excellent news, Sue!

Date, Almond & Tahini Energy Balls

the mind boggles :gonzo :

the only thing I can think of is David Beckham, for some reason... :shock:

Postby scullion » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:17 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I’m going to be a misery here. Years and years of being fat and being on endless diets have taught me not to snack or nibble. It hasn’t made a lot of difference to my weight but it has really impinged on my brain. :?

that's sad - no point in putting yourself through the misery of dieting then, surely?
Earthmaiden wrote:I think it depends if you include 'snacks' in your daily meal/calorie planning or just have them as 'naughty' extras.[...] Gill has already told us that she goes from breakfast to supper with just this planned 'snack' inbetween and obviously considers what she's having.

i've never really been a breakfast person and maybe only a small lunch so i never really worry about snacking (although, often, that may be close enough after dinner as to be part of it). i'm in no way skinny and i suppose it would do me good to lose a few kilos but i don't do diets, just try to put a little less on my plate as i get older - especially the carbs.
the odd cream tea in the afternoon passes our lips.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox