Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 4

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 4

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am

Morning all! :wave. Just grey and damp here. It's years since I've needed to buy paraffin. I'd have thought an essential item to those who need it though. Perhaps paraffin heaters to heat indoor rooms are few and far between these days.

I see Grayson Perry's lockdown TV programme is coming back in Feb. Something to look forward to. I don't know when I've seen such gloomy news headlines as today, they seemed to touch on all the negative things one could think of (except of course that the Duchess of York has had a book accepted by her publishers - Mills and Boon). We must be coming up to that January day well-known for being the one when people are the most fed-up.

KC2 - did you watch the rest if the Michael Moore? I saw half of it too but had to do something else and wondered if he had much more to say. It was interesting though.

A bit of housework and more bedroom sorting today. Thrilling stuff but good progress being made.

Postby WolfGirl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Good morning. :wave:

We have had a frost so I’m assuming it’s cold but I haven’t opened an outside door yet to confirm!

I’m trying to mix it up a bit in lockdown so I’m moving my supermarket day to Thursday this week. I will probably lose track of the days for the rest of the week.

Exciting things on the agenda today are a walk and cleaning our bedroom and en suite.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:23 pm

Dark and wet here. And tomorrow looks like an all day rain job.

My mother just rang about how a parcel I sent her which seems to have gone missing. She now thinks a carer stole it. (She found a clothing label that 'doesn't belong' to any garment she owns. She can't tell me more than this.) Hmm. A thieving carer who takes the label off before she nicks the top. This is all a bit depressing. I have ordered her a replacement top (now even cheaper in the sale and free postage) but will she get it? I imagine the original will turn up eventually. Like the missing Christmas cards, the 'stolen' credit card and countless other things :( I feel I can't send her things anymore which is sad as I like treating her and am only trying to cheer her up. (Although not sure she needs cheering up. I think I do though!)

Need to try a bit harder with work today. Finding it hard to get back into. I could do with a load of proof reading or somesuch.

Writing meeting tonight.

Need to attend to Basil. His eyes look infected. Meanwhile another cat has pooed on the lean-to (concrete) floor several times :( And a cat had puked up on my mat in the sitting room.

On a more positive note, some of my sweet peas have come up!

Postby scullion » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:26 pm

good morning, all.
dull and overcast.
off for a walk in half an hour.
there were very few people at the beach yesterday the weather wasn't exactly great but we did have brunch from the cafe - we shared a vegetarian brunch sandwich (lovely bread filled to overflowing with glamorgan sausage, egg, hash brown and baby spinach salad) and a portion of 'fries' that was more like a double portion, in a box. it was either a very large portion or they had realised that we were going to share. we sat on a bench, out of the misty wind - and stuffed our faces greedily.
to extend the decadent day we sat and watched a couple of films in the afternoon then chatted to our daughter for a couple of hours on the phone while she made gingerbread men - and women...
i'll try to be less lazy today - but that might not happen.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:26 pm

Morning Wildies :wave

Bit slippy outside today- combo of frost overnight and sleety rain this morning. Managed a run but it was rather precarious. Must take care- don't want to put any unneccesary pressure on local A&E services....

Ollie should have been at vet this afternoon for his boosters but they've just rung to rearrange for tomorrow afternoon instead as vet has an emergency op to perform later. She's lovely is the current vet. Ollie is delighted to have had a stay of execution but I've told him the downside is that he won't get his tuna tea until tomorrow instead of today. :D

Anyway, best get on. Catch you all later!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 pm

I went out yesterday for a rare foray. Managed the tip, Sainsbury’s and Costco.

Around here it’s pretty quiet, apart from the arrivals and departures at the school next door. It’s open for the children of key workers.

Once out on the road, I was aware that it was fairly busy. Both supermarkets were almost normal, with no queues outside, but the tip had a 30 minute queue and controlled parking and and empty space between each car. But much busier than normal.

Nowhere were people mingling, but social distancing was haphazard and a lot of masks were below the nose.

I got to wondering with such lax controls, whether the lockdown was actually doing any good. Especially the schools which are a sort of hub of contact for families whose breadwinners are out meeting the public.

At the end of the day, there are a lot of people still mixing in shops. There are a lot mixing in hospitals and the staff in all of those are connected by their children being together in school. So still a lot of risk out there, yet infections around here have fallen since Christmas. And lockdown is supposed to have a 14 day lag before it’s effective.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:39 pm

Very good to see you Sloe Gin ... hope you and yours are all okay. :wave:

Well, a batch of coleslaw (with added orange zest) has been made for lunches etc, and the downstairs cloakroom is spic and span ... OH will return the stash of bleach, sanitiser and mouthwash to its storage place when the floor is dry.
Now I have to inspect paint brushes ...

Postby liketocook » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 pm

Good morning everyone,
:wave: Sloe Gin :wave:
It's all pretty quiet here, my sister had to run an errand in town yesterday lunchtime and said the streets were like early on a Sunday morning with hardly anyone about. Across the area though rates are still very high and our local health board has cancelled most non-COVID ops or treatment apart from cancer services and A&E. I'm fully expecting Scottish Government to announce further restrictions this afternoon.
Tipping it down with lumpy rain here this morning, we have a weather warning for snow so no doubt that's what folk will be getting away from the coast.
For no obvious reason I had a terrible night's sleep, I couldn't get over in the first place which is very unlike me and even when I eventually did it was a doze rather than proper sleep. I think a snooze this afternoon could well be on the cards. My domestic challenge for today is to tidy out the top third of my tall larder cupboard as it's a shameful mess and I'm sure I'm going to find duplicates of opened things! :oops:

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 pm

I am not sure that controls are many more lax than Lockdown I. In fact less so. I don't think we had to wear masks in shops for that, initially, at least. People just care less. They have got used to the situation and lost the fear. That said, I have seen more people out on the streets in masks. I still suspect that very many only wear them because they keep forgetting it's to protect others more than themselves.

Lockdown may not be doing enough good, but let's face it, many people will do whatever they can get away with within the restrictions, and if there were no restrictions externally imposed, there would be none self-imposed by some. It could be a lot better. It could be a lot worse. But I don't think it's an all or nothing thing i.e. it's not a case of, given that so many are ignoring the rules we might as well not bother.

Was chatting to a work friend yesterday, and she said that a friend of hers who works in an enclosed antiques market came down with Covid... as did all the other 'stall' holders. Aircon? If it gets in that and you take your mask off on your break...

I had a text to say my official local vaccine centre is in Sainsbury's carpark down the road. I imagine they sent this to everyone and it's not that i am about to be offered it.

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:30 pm

Suffs wrote:OH will return the stash of bleach, sanitiser and mouthwash to its storage place when the floor is dry.

Phone rings in the Police Station.

"We're at a murder scene, sarge". Husband walked on the kitchen floor before it was dry, and the wife shot him".

"Have you arrested her?"

"Not likely sarge - the floor's still wet!"

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Morning, very wet here, looks like it rained all night, but I'd rather have rain than sleet or snow!

EM, yes, we did listen to the rest of the Michael Moore. It was very sobering. Even if you take into consideration that he might be a bit of a conspiracy theorist, it's still pretty terrifying. Also, it seems that a lot of what he said about more riots planned at other state capitols is being taken seriously now. Whatever, it will be interesting to see what comes out of the investigation.

Apparently the rioter with viking horns who was eventually arrested and put into jail is having special organic meals ... OH read that in Huff Post this morning.

It's my Swiss b-i-l's 90th birthday next week and I just checked how much the stamp for his card costs now, and it's £1.70. I'm sure the last time I checked it was about £1.30 ...

Asda delivery due this afternoon, no lemons. Didn't we have a conversation on here about the shortage of citrus the other day? Even though I could have waited a week I thought I'd better get eggs. They're rationed this week so who knows if there will be any next week!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:No, never knowingly went to that department store, but I didn't drive in those days so was dependant on buses. However, I did work for a time in Handley's in the toy department but Knight and Lee was my favourite department store :thumbsup

Ahh - well if you were going down to Southsea regularly you’d have no need of LDB’s trash, though the buses from Hilsea to Portsmouth & Southsea station/ Guildhall would have gone past it, it was only a couple of minutes walk up from the station, which is why we went there as we came in by train & my dad worked on Guildhall square
The original drapery bazaar was where a young HG Wells worked

Dark and wet here, better clear up and get on

Postby cherrytree » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:56 pm

Sainsbury’s have just delivered the 3 lemons I ordered. I didn’t know about egg rationing but I imagine it’s not a problem in rural areas.m

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:26 pm

There's a survey of mobility during lockdown published on the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55626008

It seems to bear out my experiences.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Crikey, that's so Big Brother! Interesting though. You mentioned you went to the tip - tips were closed during the initial lockdown so that's one less trip you'd have made!

I've been puzzling over the free meals for children thing. I am well aware that there are multiple reasons why children go without and am not trying to spark off a debate about that. I seem to have missed something about the whole thing though. It seems that £30 per child is available either in the form of vouchers, money or food, depending on the system and of course, the current scandal is what was being provided to some people, apparently for that sum. A female Conservative MP pointed out on TV last night that they are supposed to be receiving these in place of one school meal a day, not their total food intake, i.e. 5 meals a week - and implied that they would be expected to have breakfast and supper at home (yes, I know ....!).

How long is the £30 supposed to last for? I thought originally a week but that is a lot to replace one meal a day for one child (if that is the policy it is based on) so I'm thinking it may be a fortnight or even a month. I'd like to think that it is a week and set at enough to provide food for other meals and weekends and holidays as well. Would someone with three children receive £90? I would really like to understand this.

Postby Kacey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Well this isn't a lockdown like the one that started last March. I've been working from home since 23/3 last year, when that first lockdown was announced, I spent time re-scheduling my brick deliveries as all construction sites had closed down and all our builders merchant depots were closed. OH was furloughed from his job as a chemist, and unless they could genuinely work from home, most people I know were furloughed.

This time around people in construction have become 'key workers', manufacturing likewise is essential so OH is working through, and I don't know a single person who is currently furloughed.

The council collected my old sofa this morning and my new one was delivered not long after, that wouldn't have happened in the first lockdown.

The economy is where it is at the moment due to the pandemic, another few weeks of proper lockdown wouldn't have had much effect, yet would have saved lives.

As an aside, one of the guys delivering my sofa told me - at a very safe distance with us both masked up - that his wife and mother in law who are both ex nurses have signed up to give vaccines but have heard nothing, yet I've just heard on the news that Jet2 cabin crew are being trained to vaccinate!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:32 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:'ve been puzzling over the free meals for children thing.

Most food parcels are intended to replace 2 weeks of lunches, so 10 meals, and £3 is allowed per lunch hence £30

So any food parcel supplied for this should contain enough food to to provide 10 meals, which really should have enough nutrients to meet the standards laid down for school meals though in a parcel probably won't be able to match the headteacher's checklist exactly

Most of the parcels supplied contain very small amounts of food mostly short dated, and give the distinct impression that the suppliers are just bunging the stuff they need to clear off their shelves into a parcel and sending out - ripping off both the government department funding the operation and the of course the children receiving the food

Edited to add that on reflection I think £3 per meal might be the total cost of supplying it so the parcels should probably contain around £20 of actual food, which I believe is what most school kitchens work on

Postby nursemimi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:34 pm

Morning all I haven't been around much it has been very busy here.
I have received both of my covid vaccinations the only problem I had
was the 2nd one i ran a fever and felt very ill for 2 days after I got it.
OH and a very sore arm. But glad I have them finished. It is breezy
but sunny here today which is good I have to pickup some medications
and pick up a few items from the grocery store. Hope everyone is staying well.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:35 pm

Sorry if this is duplicate news, but I see Lady Bakewell is threatening a legal challenge over second dose delays, naming Matt Hancock as the respondent.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ccine-dose

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm

nursemimi wrote:Morning all I haven't been around much it has been very busy here.
I have received both of my covid vaccinations the only problem I had
was the 2nd one i ran a fever and felt very ill for 2 days after I got it.
OH and a very sore arm. But glad I have them finished. It is breezy
but sunny here today which is good I have to pickup some medications
and pick up a few items from the grocery store. Hope everyone is staying well.

Just out of interest, how long between the two?
Friend in Colorado had 2 in a short space of time and reported similar reactions

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox