Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 4

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 4

Postby scullion » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:06 pm

good morning, all.
still cold and windy but the temperatures rising. it should be about 6°c by the time i go out this evening.

many happy returns of the day, chinch. i hope it's as good as is possible.

it's my jab day, too.
the vaccine predictor says i should be getting it at the end of next month but they seem to be getting on rather well with the roll-out. i'm wondering if they are sorting your age as the year in which you're born rather than your actual birth date. if so i've been lumped into an older group - i'm not complaining.
my partner had his on thursday evening and didn't have to wait at all. he was back in the car for his fifteen minute wait in less than fifteen or twenty minutes. he felt quite rough for most of yesterday (unless it was all that ice cream) and spent most of it in bed.
he says he feels 90% better this morning - it hasn't stopped him finding a cup of coffee in the kitchen this morning, thank goodness.
have a cosy day, everyone.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Happy birthday Chinch - may it be a very special day for you :cocktail: :cocktail:

There's a very lazy wind and, despite the heating being on, I'm cold. We can't really go anywhere (police doing random checks on anybody using the main roads, to stop second home owners during half term) but we may go the pretty way to the tip tomorrow.

I'm makig a new recipe for tonight; Filipino chicken adobo. Hub has only fairly ecently discovered he likes coconut (having based his former dislike on Bounty!!), so it's opened up a whole new world of adventurous recipes.

Postby scullion » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:24 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I have come to dislike Valentine's Day because in recent times it's become such a 'thing' that restaurants are booked up overpriced which spoils what is also my birthday weekend. Not expecting much to happen for either this year :roll:.
(- from the foodie in the news thread)

does this mean it's your birthday around now as well as chinch's?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Happy Birthday Chinch! Forgot to wish you many happy returns earlie :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer

I have now showered and dressed, and dressing did annoy my injection site a bit, but that’s all, apart from that I had a poor night’s sleep so no other symptoms obviously down to the jab.

Does anyone else get bizarre lack of temperature control when they wake in the night? I woke up, the warm duvet was in place, most of me was really warm and cosy, including my shoulders which are obviously a part the duvet can slip off, but my feet (in socks) and the small of my back (in pjs) were icy- the bits in between were fine. Happens a lot

Postby liketocook » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:55 pm

Good morning everyone,
Happy birthday chinch and EM :cocktail: :cocktail: :blowing-birthday-cake
Yes that's me Sue random bits are either too hot or too cold and my feet and back are favourite spots for being cold even when everywhere else is cosy and warm.
Bitterly cold and grey here with a wind building, we have snow forecast and going by the sky may well get some. The geese have mainly departed having reportedly headed inland to Lochwinnoch reserve, a usual stopping off point for them each year.
I've not much planned for today, some domestic chores and a bit of food prep and that's about it. Tonight we are replicating a dish a local hotel serves which we both like - half a toasted bun topped with a pork and leek burger, a Stornoway black pudding fritter/croquette, crispy bacon and a fried egg served with a carrot and apple salad in a mustardy dressing and straw potatoes on the side. I'll not make the straw potatoes as I don't have a spiraliser but will air fry some match stick ones instead. We are trying at the weekend to cook something a bit different just to stop the days from completely blending and help my son feel as though he's having a proper break from work.

Postby Pampy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:09 pm

My feet are always cold (I have peripheral neuropathy). Last time I had a podiatry appointment, the podiatrist said she'd only ever felt feet as cold as mine on a corpse!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:46 pm

liketocook wrote:Good morning everyone,

No! Today is Chinch's special day. Mine's not until next week.

Postby liketocook » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:56 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
liketocook wrote:Good morning everyone,

No! Today is Chinch's special day. Mine's not until next week.

Lol, have a cocktail anyway :cocktail: :cocktail:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:04 pm

If you insist .. :lol: :wino

Postby mistakened » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:36 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Quite envious that you did non-essential shopping Moira!
It only reopened last Monday, the coffee shops, tavernas etc remain closed and the 22 00 curfew stays in force. So I can buy fairy lights but not coffee.

ltc, I like the sound of your meal. We are having Chinese Take Away, we are allowed take away and the only Chinese for miles is under new management

Moira

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Good morrow! If I have to shop I usually go first thing. This morning I stayed inside because it was very cold again and the Test Match was on. Realised I was out of vodka (!) and mushrooms so took myself off to Waitrose at 12. I could not believe the queues, all round the car park which is huge, and daft men wearing shorts and tee shirts!!! I gave it a miss.

I came home via Tesco Express which was deserted.

Not only do I now have vodka and mushrooms but I also had an email from St John saying they are delivering again - nationwide on Fridays - so I have treated us to a meal next Friday.

https://dishpatch.co.uk/feasts/st-john-at-home

OH will do the duck and the Eccles cake. Polo and I will take care of the rest.

Has everybody noticed the posts on Social Media showing that the Thames has frozen over in parts?

Happy Birthday Chinch! :birthday-dancer

Postby mistakened » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I also had an email from St John saying they are delivering again - nationwide on Fridays - so I have treated us to a meal next Friday.
I do envy you getting getting these services. The best that we can do is Chinese Take Away (see above), we can get take away kebabs or pizza but do not find them appealing.
Deb managed to buy a new strimmer this morning, and is now assembling it. The builders merchants never closed, it probably got itself classed as an essential business, together with the local pharmacy

Moira

Postby Pampy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:43 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
Has everybody noticed the posts on Social Media showing that the Thames has frozen over in parts?

Apparently, large parts of Lake Windermere have frozen too.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:49 pm

I think large parts of me have, too

Postby Pampy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Busybee » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:54 pm

We have just come in, from I think, our coldest ever dog walk. For the first time this winter I had hat, gloves and scarf on, and my hood up, and my body was still cold. I’m always hot and don’t usually feel the cold, even last week I was out without gloves and my coat undone. The icy wind fair takes your breath away!

Even our Scottie wasn’t that keen on walking and he loves snow, ice and the cold.

Back home having a coffee now. That’s it for today.

BB

Postby nursemimi » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:06 pm

Good morning everyone it is cold and snowing
Here up to 15 inches expected by Monday. Yuck
Good thing I don’t work this weekend I do Monday
and getting there could be problematic. Not much planned
for today a bit of ho****k and some meal planning.
Think I will have a cup of coffee and see what you
guys have been up to.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:21 pm

Good morning Mimi.

You can keep your 15 inches of snow, thank you :D

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Busybee wrote:We have just come in, from I think, our coldest ever dog walk. For the first time this winter I had hat, gloves and scarf on, and my hood up, and my body was still cold. I’m always hot and don’t usually feel the cold, even last week I was out without gloves and my coat undone. The icy wind fair takes your breath away!

BB

We went out for a walk earlier. I’m always well wrapped up, scarf, gloves, hat, two layers of trousers (one pair proper walking ones), and a big warm jacket but today I had said jacket zipped up right to the top. It covered my nose! I do feel the cold. :lol: The wind was so strong I could hardly stand up in places.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:22 pm

My dog Polo is very pissed off. There is no way I’ve been going out there for the last 3 days. I keep shoving her in the garden with exercising instructions!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox