Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 4

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 4

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:11 am

Goodness me! We’re here already! :shock: Well, off you go ... start chattering ... I’ll make the coffee :mug: :mug: :mug:

I ought to acknowledge that Moira. Northleedsbhoy and Icey have already said good morning today but it’s on the old thread ... sorry ... I rather inelegantly cut you off in your prime ... my apologies :oops:

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 4

Postby Uschi » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 am

Guten Morgen, then! :mug: :wave:
Cold and wet here, but we shall venture forth later to buy victuals and toilet paper (we really are down to our last roll).

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:55 am

Morning all! :wave It's sunny, frost free and quite spring-like here this morning but I'm told we may have sleet later. I think icey's taken all the ice :lol:.

Hope that Grassy is feeling less shocked today.

I think one of the many things we have learned from the experiences of the past year is that the audience matters to any kind of performance even if you are only watching it on TV. Clearly it makes a difference to performers but to viewers as well.

NLB - your meals always sound comforting and nice.

I'm off for a socially distanced walk with a friend in a while. I'm very glad we are allowed to do that in Tier 4, she is going through a difficult time (though not dwelling on it) and it will be nice for both of us to enjoy a walk with company.

I was given a pretty bunch of pale mauve tulips a couple of days ago. They seemed a bit incongruous when the Christmas tree was still up but actually look lovely and bring the feeling of positive anticipation that a new year has. I will probably start to take the Christmas things down tomorrow.

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:04 pm

Good morning.
We’ve obviously had a frost but OH has just left for his first game of golf, that hasn’t been cancelled, for weeks. I’ve just looked out of the window and can see a few flakes of snow. :o

Really enjoyed our roast chicken dinner last night. I made gravy as usual but with the addition of black garlic and a splash or three of Madeira. Turned a gravy into a sauce!! Very tasty.

Not sure about today. Football is on at an awkward time for dinner so may end up doing pizza.

Enjoy your day.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Morning Wildies :wave

Fancy Vol. 4 already! Just returned from a run. Initially frosty with bright blue sky but cloud rolled in and snowed quite heavily for a while when I was on return leg. Sun now out again.

My decorations have been down for a few days. I do like to start the year with a clean slate. As with EM, I have some tulips on the go in one of our vases and I also couldn't resist a few bunches of new season daffs. I've some indoor hyacinths I planted last autumn beginning to bud too, and they'll smell fantastic when they come out. Makes the world seem a happier place somehow. Now all I need is some Seville oranges.... :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Now I’m up, showered and dressed and am on my third :mug: I see that I ‘rather inelegantly’ split an infinitive ... how inelegant of me :lol:

Postby Uschi » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Not inelegant, but perfectly fine. "To boldly go where no man has gone before" says it all.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Rather a split infinitive than a split end say I!! :D

Grassy, just read on the previous thread about your tumble. Hope you've recovered... :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:43 pm

And to keep it foodie - there's no point crying over split milk.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Wish the snow would disappear here! I can only see the bonnet and wheels of my car and noticed that the chap opposite has just spent at least an hour chipping the frozen snow off his car and defrosting it. One of the regular visiting cats has just crossed the garden like a dressage horse!

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:39 pm

good aftermorning, all
overcast and damp.
nothing planned - other than the final amendment to tomorrow's delivery.
i am in veg stew and dumpling mood for dinner tonight. it seems like it's been the sort of weather for 'comfort food' for rather longer than it should have been and too wet and cold for a walk on the beach even though the tide has been right. if the sun comes out later i may do some teddies - before it feels like i've started hibernating for real.

Suffs wrote: I see that I ‘rather inelegantly’ split an infinitive ... how inelegant of me

it was the full stop instead of a comma, after 'moira', that i noticed - not the split infinitive!

have a good afternoon, everyone.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:52 pm

...and it's started snowing again! :( :(

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:55 pm

wish it would snow again here - prettier than drizzle!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:27 pm

We had a lovely walk in the sunshine with blue sky. It's clouding a bit now, 'they' might be right about snow later.
Friend was telling me that when they lived in Germany it was quite common for cars to have a device which defrosted the car which could be operated by remote control from the house (assuming the car was just outside). I see that cars such as Saabs and Volvos are often fitted with these. They would have had that sort of car. I wish they could be fitted on all cars without tipping the price too far.

I had temporarily forgotten dumplings. Suet is now going on my click & collect order for Tuesday. I always use vegetable suet these days, I bought beef last year for the first time in years and it had a nasty rancid sort of taste, not as I'd remembered at all. Of course, I know you can use butter etc.

Trying to decide whether to crack on with chores or treat the period until Monday as part of the holiday. The latter may win.

Postby mistakened » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:48 pm

For the attention of The Archers fans. I read that Linda Snell was given an award in the New Years Honours. Do you think that the BBC could be persuaded to ask Prince Charles to present the award personally?

Moira, who has not listened to The Archers since Nigel died

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Our tree has come down today........ Soon be Christmas!! :lol: :lol: .

Our weather has been pretty benign, even if a bit chilly, since the flood alert on Christmas eve! Luckily it came to nothing for us but there were some homes flooded around and about, blooming horrible turnout for those folk!

We really must get our bathroom decorating finished. We should have made it a New Years resolution, it's not as if they ever get broken :lol:

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:18 pm

Think I need new reading glasses Scully ... but I doubt I’ll be going to Specsavers again yet awhile :roll:

We had a lovely sunny walk a bit earlier ... serenaded by a dunnock in an ivy-covered hawthorn. Looks like the redwings have stripped the hawthorn berries and moved on ... it has turned dull and overcast again now.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Thanks for starting the next instalment, Suffs :hi5:

Wet and dull here but we replanted this year's new Christmas tree in an outside pot nevertheless. It now looks happier than it did inside with the central heating on! We've left it in front of the window as we'll put lights on it when we have our delayed Christmas with my cousin in the spring. I've got the second roast, a glazed gammon, in the freezer and kept a box of mini mince pies which have an April BB date.

mistakened wrote:Moira, who has not listened to The Archers since Nigel died

The boys went to the same primary school as Nigel's children, back in the day when I used to listen to it regularly. I was always quite "chuffed" to be hanging around at the school gate with him :roll: :lol: It was a very small, one-class entry school so you genuinely got to know the parents of the rest of the year group.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:35 pm

It's dark and snowing. I've drawn the curtains and switched the Christmas tree lights on already. It was such a lovely morning too. The holiday is definitely continuing until Monday.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Afternoon all, Grassy hope you are feeling better today.

A couple of hours with us splitting and stacking oak logs this morning then a nice deli mezze in front of telly and Into The Woods, which was a bit too singy/operatic type for us.

It's still very cold here but the wood burner is doing us well for cooking and warmth. The fluffy gang are not impressed with the weather and are sleeping most of the day with a quick outy first and last thing of the day.

My sleep pattern is off kilter ATM. It must be the 4 different meds I am on. Was in bed last night and apparently asleep at 9am then awake from 3.35 and saw daylight at 7am. I will be glad when the doses can be reduced. I feel 'lighter' but have some moments.

Thankfully no fireworks here on NYE. My gang hate them but tolerate the 'Army playing' on the Plain very locally.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox