Register

Brandy snaps

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Brandy snaps

Postby Lokelani » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:47 pm

I've just make an amazing discovery. Brandy snaps are really quick & easy to make! I had no idea. I bought some before xmas, they were quite expensive. Today I wanted something quick & easy to go with the rest of the extra thick cointreau cream leftover & really fancied some more brandy snaps.

Less than half an hour later we have brandy snaps & brandy baskets too! All great fun to make too. I used this recipe:

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/rec ... ini-cream/

I'm not even going to think about weight gain until next week. Then I may regret having discovered this easy treat..... Bizarre fact though, most of the recipes I found didn't actually have brandy in them! I shall remedy that by stirring some into the cream perhaps! :lol:

Re: Brandy snaps

Postby Busybee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:48 pm

I love a brandy snap, and had always assumed that they were difficult to make. This could be a very bad thing..........

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:08 pm

One of the first things I learned to make as a child - I'm not sure shaping boiling syrup is recommended for 8 year-olds these days :( but I used to enjoy it and was mire dextrous than mum at rolling them round the handle of a wooden spoon

Once you get used to homemade the texture of the bought ones isn't right

Ours didn't contain brandy either, and I don't think that was because I was under age

Postby Lokelani » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:24 pm

The curled ones are very robust when cold. The baskets less so I've just found putting them in a tub! What with only being one layer they are rather fragile.

Now we've just got to avoid eating them too quickly! I don't generally have a sweet tooth but there's something about the taste & texture of these. Yum....

Talking about hot sugar, I forgot to say, I did watch the video of Mary Berry making them on The Great British Bake Off. She explained really well what to look for to establish exactly when cooked. Also when cooled just enough to mould without burning your hands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TShL9JYtiJk

Hoping things will be back to sociable next Xmas... I think they'd make excellent treats for friends & family as they keep in an airtight tub rather than needing chilling.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:10 pm

Wow, I always thought they would be really hard, too! Good news!

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:59 pm

This reminded of one of the Xmas epis of the naked chef, where the king of stylee
Was making cannolis and he mentioned that in a pinch you could use brandy snaps instead of cannoli shells and how you could find them "on the posh shelf of the biscuit isle/area". Still makes me chuckle. They would not taste the same but it would work.

Postby Lokelani » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:54 pm

Similar enough at a push I guess. Mine are definitely a bit rustic to be found on the posh biscuit shelf though.

The main problem I'm having with them is that they seem to be disappearing brandy snaps! Supposedly last several days in an airtight tub. Not in this house they don't! :lol:

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:26 pm

mark111757 wrote:This reminded of one of the Xmas epis of the naked chef, where the king of stylee
Was making cannolis and he mentioned that in a pinch you could use brandy snaps instead of cannoli shells and how you could find them "on the posh shelf of the biscuit isle/area". Still makes me chuckle. They would not taste the same but it would work.

Why do you call JO the king of styler? Is that an American nickname for him or a personal one ?

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:19 am

He has a habit of grabbing a word or words and over use it. Stylee was stood one. Best friends, as in herbs going well together. Example, how garlic and rosemary are best friends. To me it's OK once or twice but let's not ride it into the ground.

I would say personal.

Postby jeral » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:04 am

Lokelani wrote:I...[clip]...
Bizarre fact though, most of the recipes I found didn't actually have brandy in them! I shall remedy that by stirring some into the cream perhaps! :lol:

Odd that. The booze quoted for the cream is Baileys Irish whiskey based and Kahlua sugar cane rum based. Intriguing.

Luckily, Wikipedia to the rescue:

" However, the name brandy snap has no reference to brandy, the spirit. The name "brandy" is related to "branded" (as in burnt). "

I imagine it's quite easy to burn them if not careful ;)

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Well done, Jeral!
You´ve just answered the question I was going to ask; ie. "where´s the brandy?" :lol: :lol:

Postby Lokelani » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Ah that explains the brandy bit, well researched. :) Makes sense, yes a minute or two either way could be all the difference between golden & singed!

None left I'm ashamed to report!! :lol:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox