Register

Veganuary

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Veganuary

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Many of those look pretty good - the cake is interesting, though I don't need a vegan cake recipe

I really wish people wouldn't refer to anything and everything moulded out of mashed pulses as falafel, those are bean burgers and probably quite nice but the resemblance to falafel is virtually none at all

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Hoppin’ John.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... rice-beans

The Two Fat Ladies had a recipe for this but I’m not sure it was vegan.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:47 pm

That looks good - I love black eye beans

I think hopping John is traditionally made with ham stock so the Ladies’ version wouldn’t be vegan

Edited to add - I looked again - serves 6-8 portions (apparently as a main) from one can of pulses and 300g rice? Really? And the photo shows it made with black beans not black eye beans. Guardian Food is getting increasingly sloppy

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Hoppin John is a traditional New Year dish in the south of the USA, apparently.
The recipes I´ve got call for ham hock, black-eye peas (or beans), onion and rice.
A black bean combination would probably be more like Cuban Moros y Cristianos.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:24 pm

That was actually my point - Meera Sodha who wrote the recipe specifies black eyed beans, so that's fine, and made other changes as she is veganising, also fine (I'm not 100% sure about the basmati rice, I think something chunkier would be better, though obviously it'll be fine) and I quite like the idea of serving with a garlic mayo, although that isn't traditional it should just set it off nicely

But the Grauniad have illustrated it with a picture of black beans :(

And one can of any beans divided into 6-8 is not so much frugality as incipient malnutrition, though I suppose vegan mayo is made with silken tofu so that adds protein to the dish as served

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Agreed, Sue. The amount does seem a bit frugal.
300 gms of dry rice cooks up to about 900 gms in total, but a 400 gm tin of beans only produces about 300 gms when drained. For six people, the recipe provides roughly 330 gms on the plate; for 6, it´s about 250 gms.
I´d also use a more robust rice - rather than basmati - and make sure my photo was correct. (The Grauniad...)
It´d make a good side dish.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:50 am

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:14 pm

Saw this and thought of this thread. I'd love to give this place a try.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55717253
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:35 pm

I saw that earlier too and thought the same. Good on 'em!

Postby dennispc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:20 pm

I'd certainly like to try it.

Thought some of you might be interested in this

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ottolenghi

Postby aero280 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:16 pm

10 eggs! :o

That's a cauliflower omelette!!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:49 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I saw that earlier too and thought the same. Good on 'em!

Next time I am in Bordeaux!

It's interesting because French vegetarian food, in my experience as in the sort you eat out (and which is not 'foreign' to France i.e. Middle Eastern etc.) has 'traditionally' been very wholemealy. Kind of 1970s brown and worthy with an emphasis on what they perceived to be healthy. Definitely not sophisticated which is kind of what one assumes comes with Michelin stars.

We ate out in a few of vegan/vegan friendly places down south in 2019, and some in Paris too, and it felt as though they had not entirely moved away from that sort of thing. The food wasn't (necessarily) brown per se but quite a bit of it was raw. I always feel that the disdain I've encountered for vegetarian food in French restaurants is based on the idea that vegetarians don't, can't, really like food that much or find it important, so when it's offered, it's wholesome but rarely decadent and delicious. Vegetarianism as deprivation rather than different.
I have rarely seen traditional French vegetarian offerings on menus, beyond omelette, and they do exist. They just aren't often served up in restaurants, except perhaps as side dishes.
I know what delicious is is somewhat subjective but only somewhat. Maybe French people find the sorts of things I have had delicious, but I am not convinced. I'd love to talk to a French person about it.

Anyway it will be interesting to see where this vegan revolution goes in France. I imagine it will come slowly to Normandy

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:09 pm

I’d call that Ottolenghi recipe an “eggah” which is a Middle East baked omelette served cut in wedges

I’ve not really looked for vegetarian food in France but I remember buying a French women’s magazine about 15 years ago that had an “ask the dietitian” column, apparently written by a qualified dietitian. One questioner asked what she should feed her newly vegetarian teenage daughter. Crudely translated, the reply started You must curb her youthful folly! It will be impossible for her to stay healthy on such an incomplete diet…
Even French OH commented that a few million Indians might argue with that

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:41 pm

My first reaction on seeing the award of a Michelin star to a vegan restaurant in France, the home of the stars, was whether some culprit British chefs will now stop their offhand/dismissive calling of even vegetarians (let alone vegans) nuisances. Wake up call for starred chefs?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:08 pm

10 eggs! :o
That's a cauliflower omelette!!

I was about to say it looked very similar to a Spanish omelette, but then Sue came up with "eggah", which is probably closer to Yotam´s "roots"?

Jeral: I think there are three factors re.vegetarians/vegans. First of all, there is obviously a move AWAY from eating so much meat, and many people across the world are now embracing a vegetarian or vegan diet. Secondly, it doesn´t matter whether you´re a Michelin star Chef or not; the "veggie revolution" ( if that´s not too strong a description) is here to stay, so either get with it or be left behind. Thirdly, there are always going to be people who prefer one thing or another; there will always be meat eaters, fish eaters, omnivores, vegetarians and vegans. So, to quote The Book " Don´t kick against the pricks" ( wasn´t that to St Paul?)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I was about to say it looked very similar to a Spanish omelette, but then Sue came up with "eggah", which is probably closer to Yotam's "roots"?

His partner in running his kitchens is a Palestinian (Sami), it's usually described as Egyptian, but I suspect a good Palestinian cook would make one

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:43 pm

I've made that colly recipe, after some friends enthused about it. It was nice enough, but haven't made it since.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I’d call that Ottolenghi recipe an “eggah” which is a Middle East baked omelette served cut in wedges

I’ve not really looked for vegetarian food in France but I remember buying a French women’s magazine about 15 years ago that had an “ask the dietitian” column, apparently written by a qualified dietitian. One questioner asked what she should feed her newly vegetarian teenage daughter. Crudely translated, the reply started You must curb her youthful folly! It will be impossible for her to stay healthy on such an incomplete diet…
Even French OH commented that a few million Indians might argue with that

I think there has been a growing interest in vegetarian food in France for some time, if the cookery magazine I buy when I am there are anything to go by. It just hasn't translated into the eating out side of things.

I still remember with a little ire when a Parisien waiter, when asked if there was anything vegetarian on the menu, silently and disdainfully pointed to the green salad on the menu.

I have had some interesting (proper, as opposed to pizza or omelette) vegetarian meals in French restaurants over the years. From the saag paneer made with camembert in Fougeres, to a rather, er, interesting Mexican meal in Le Puy-en-Velay to an amazing stuffed cabbage terrine in Nimes airport to some weird brown rice thing in Paris, to an I think rather good meal in Dinan, which I remember more for the rather medical looking vessels it was served in, the impressive flagstone floor in the crypt-like room and the restaurant cat that was winding around our legs throughout the meal. I do remember the 'nuage de chevre' amouse bouche though. (It looked like cuckoo spit.)
I had a lot of very delcious gazpacho in SW France in 2019. There's a nice veggie/vegan place in Minerve... :) Happy days.

Meanwhile I can report that Tesco's vegan salad cream tastes more or less just like Heinz :) I suspected it might.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:39 am

I thought at the time I was maybe catching the zeitgeist in that one query and reply - the girl wanted to try being vegetarian, and her mother really didn't mind and would support her, which would typically have been the case in England too, though we got there sooner

But there were more French fuddy-duddies who wouldn't give in - the response from the "expert" really was as ludicrous as I made it sound, which is why I remembered it, we were sitting on a Cross Channel ferry killing ourselves laughing

Postby Kacey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Tried the eggless waffle recipe this morning, it was just as good as the one with eggs. I made it as a savoury version omitting the sugar and adding mixed herbs, paprika and a couple of pinches of chilli flakes. We had them for brunch dolloped with dal. We really enjoyed them, in fact I think I'd rather make them this way than the egg version. I used cider vinegar rather than lemon juice and it worked really well, they were lovely and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox