Register

Veganuary

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Veganuary

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:17 pm

jeral wrote:Hi folks. Does anyone have a vegan or veggie recipe for beetroot soup please? Ta.

I have some troots in the fridge and thought borscht, well except for the beef stock and wondered if anything is added to compensate for it like soy sauce or balsamic vinegar or it's just replaced with veg stock.

This is Patsy's recipe for beetroot soup. I haven't made it yet but it looks very good! I'm sure you could mix and match ingredients if you don't happen to have eg celery and/or leeks!

Beetroot and coconut soup
from Patsy
500g raw beetroot (washed, top and tailed and cut into bite size pieces)
2 Tbspn O oil
30g fresh ginger (cut into matchsticks - but I grated mine)
2 leeks and 2 celery stalkd - finely sliced (I sometimes omit these and replace with chopped onion)
1 litre Veg or chicken stock
1 Tbspn lemon juice
4 Tbpspn coconut yogurt (or coconut cream) - I used half a tin of coconut milk
Small handful of Dill leaves (I didn't have any)

Toss BR in half the oil and roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway.
Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan: sauté the ginger with leeks, celery or onion for 10-15 minutes until softened.
Stir in the cooked BR, add stock and simmer for 5 mins, then leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
Transfer to blender with lemon juice and coconut milk and most of the dill. Loosen with water if needed.
Serve with the remaining Dill leaves as garnish.

I've also got another recipe for a delicious beetroot soup that has cooking apples and star anise in it. I think I posted it on Wildie's soup thread a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:57 pm

Thanks KeenCook2 - I have all those things except the celery (red onion and/or shallot instead then), so I could make that right away :thumbsup

The apple one sounds nice and ought to go well as a salad too. No hurry as I'll need to buy some more beetroot and some apples to try it.

Thanks for other tips posted - this was something I knew I couldn't put my finger on.

Postby Pampy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Kallo do a good mushroom one too, and a nice rich French Onion, both vegan and in most supermarkets

After reading this, I googled "French onion soup recipes" where I could sub. the beef stock with the stock cubes and was very surprised to see that Raymond Blanc's recipe doesn't use beef stock at all https://www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/french-onion-soup/

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:30 pm

Found it. We made it with the cannelini beans the first time but left them out after that as we felt they really didn't add anything and we didn't need the nutritional value of the beans.

It was originally from Michael Mosley's Reduce your blood sugar book but then I found it online.

BEETROOT, APPLE AND CANNELLINI SOUP
200 cals / Serves 3
● 1 tbsp olive oil
● 1 tsp cumin seeds
● 2 medium onions, chopped
● 500g raw beetroot, grated
● 2 Bramley apples, peeled and quartered
● 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
● 2 star anise
● Salt and ground black pepper
● 1 × 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
● Greek yoghurt, to serve
● Handful of chives, chopped

Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin and onions, and cook for 10 minutes, lid on. Add the beetroot and apple, stir and cook for 10 minutes more. Add the stock, turn up the heat, add the star anise and season. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the heat, remove the star anise and blitz. Return to the pan, add the beans, simmer for 20 minutes then serve with yoghurt and chives.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 pm

jeral wrote:Hi folks. Does anyone have a vegan or veggie recipe for beetroot soup please? Ta.

I have some troots in the fridge and thought borscht, well except for the beef stock and wondered if anything is added to compensate for it like soy sauce or balsamic vinegar or it's just replaced with veg stock.

I have a recipe for Beetroot, ginger and coconut soup courtesy of Waitrose if you would like that . I have tried it and love it :yum

ooops, someone has 'beet' me to it ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:49 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:ooops, someone has 'beet' me to it

:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox