Register

Standard NY health kick

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Standard NY health kick

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
It is me who's been doing the Lands End to John O'Groats. I'm in awe of anyone who's finished it already through just walking! A lot of runners have finished. It is good, you can use just a pedometer or Strava, or any of the modern recording methods. You have to upload it if you don't use Strava. I love watching the miles pass on the map. It only works out at around 2.4 miles a day if you take a year. I have had back trouble, tummy trouble and now knee - what on old crock! It's really affected my miles though. I now need to do 3.1 a day to catch up and my knee doesn't want to yet. I had intended doing couch to 3k and hopefully might still be able to if it heals. You are allowed to do it on a treadmill too.

Can you do it walking round the house and the supermarket as well?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:47 pm

It's up to you! Some only count dedicated walks or runs and others count everything notched up on their pedometer through the day. Obviously, different people have different goals. I usually just count dedicated walks but at times like this where walking round a supermarket or up the road has been an effort I count everything! If it encourages you to move more - that's what matters! There are all sorts of similar things around, DD does one where you walk x number of miles a month and get a medal. Updating the map as you travel up the country is the real novelty and encouragement with this one but you do get a medal at the end and can choose either a t shirt or to have a tree planted.

Postby Wic » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:49 pm

Sorry, EM, I hadn’t realised you were doing it too. It’s a good idea, isn’t it. Maybe you waved to eachother in passing! He was averaging around 7 miles a day once he got going, and used his Fitbit to count the steps, it doesn’t have Strava.

The Fitbit is a real nag, it makes you do 250 steps an hour, so he tended to count everything.

I have been looking at what else I can find for him to do. There is an American site that has a lot of challenges, but I’m thinking that the Appalachian Trail, which is 2,000+ miles might be overdoing it!

Postby Busybee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:04 pm

I think if you look at the company that does the Lands End to John O’Groats one you will see that they do lots of different ones, Route 66, Hadrian’s Wall, Camino etc there seems to be lots of differing distances involved.

Like this one

https://www.theconqueror.events/lejog/

I’m toying with the idea of doing one,

BB

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:23 pm

One of my book group friends did the real Camino de Santiago and kept us updated - it was amazing, no way could I ever!!

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:24 pm

Oooh I really like the sound of this .. I love walking and am lucky enough to live in a beautiful town with a beach and countryside around . I shall download Strava and have a nosey

Postby Wic » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 pm

Yes, Busybee, there are several American firms that do a variety of routes. They are all interesting. The one I used is Welsh. They are very helpful and if you encounter a problem and extremely proactive.

https://www.endtoend.run/lands-end-to-j ... rtual-run/

I think the Camino is a possibility for his next walk. He would like one that he knows something about.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:01 am

Two of my friends walked the real LE-JOG a few years ago. They did it in a couple of long trips over three months, had to stop for compassionate leave halfway through iirc.

Keeping it foodie, they ate and drank at a lot of pubs along the way (remember that?). Apparently the best pint they had on the journey was 'Cwtch' from Tiny Rebel.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:24 am

I would love to do one of those longish treks - especially if it was one where you stay in hotels overnight and they move your luggage on for you and could guarantee nice weather :lol: :lol:. Makes it a bit expensive though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:01 pm

A friend did the Camino Santiago in 2 sections 2019, organising his own route and stops the second time but on an organised trip the first, there are hostels and websites to help, and if you want to do it properly you have to collect your stamps on a card at designated points, mostly churches

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:20 pm

My mates organised it themselves. They've been doing long distance walks and backpacking for donkey's years, starting with the Pennine Way when we were in the sixth form in 1975. They've done all the Munros, I helped carry the beer up the last one a few years ago. :D

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:24 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:My mates organised it themselves. They've been doing long distance walks and backpacking for donkey's years, starting with the Pennine Way when we were in the sixth form in 1975. They've done all the Munros, I helped carry the beer up the last one a few years ago. :D

Nice one! We're still making inroads on ours (we've completed our Wainwrights however). Friends in Carlisle completed their round a few years back. Then there's the Corbetts, the Donalds, the Hewitts, the Furths.... as I always say, so many hills, so little time!! :D

Another 'closer to home' long distance walk well worth doing is the West Highland Way. Again, you can take a DIY approach (as we did) or you can do it as an organised walk. The Coast to Coast is nice too, and for something a bit less well known I'd recommend the Southern Upland Way. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:04 pm

i have thought about doing the camino ingles - especially the first part - walking down the steps on the harbour at mousehole (or newlyn) seems an ok way to get into training!
a friend told me that the pilgrim's scallop for the start of the camino is carved into the harbour wall. the trouble is that you'd then have to go up to plymouth for the ferry, then over land to meet up with it again in la Coruña - or hire a boat.
there are a couple of other pilgrim walks in cornwall, one of which has been given 'certification' as part of the camino ingles in order to get stamps on your card.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:24 pm

Quite pleased as did a 8 mile walk today over to Budleigh, our next nearest town through the cycle travk. I've never walked the whole way before and the views are stunning. Will try and upload photos later. Stunning day for a walk too, I always think a long walk in beautiful surroundings is really good for the soul

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:37 pm

is that east or salterton?

Postby Amyw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:53 pm

The full name is Budleigh Salterton. It’s very near Sidmouth and is at the mouth of the river Otter . At one point , it had the oldest average population of any town in the UK I believe .
[img]

[/img]

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 pm

Lovely Amy
We kept the oldies in Seaton, which is not far away

Postby Amyw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:47 pm

Ah yes one of the ladies that comes for respite lives in Seaton and they have a lovely tramway . For me personally walking is one of the best forms of exercise . Mentally therapeutic , I love taking in the scenery whether it’s countryside, beach or city life and using my phone , it’s easy to track how far you’ve walked then set yourself targets.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:27 am

Lovely pics, Amy. When I was able to do it, I really enjoyed walking. Walking and swimming used to help me put the world to rights in my mind!

Postby scullion » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:35 am

Amyw wrote:The full name is Budleigh Salterton.

yes, we have relatives who live just outside there. i also know east budleigh quite well.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox