Register

Standard NY health kick

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Standard NY health kick

Postby smitch » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:42 pm

A nickname for standard buffet type food as it is all beige. We’re having one later too :lol:

Postby aero280 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes, sausage rolls, sandwiches, cocktail sausages, hummous, chicken nuggets, chips, breadsticks, scotch eggs, samosas, cheddar cheese, vol au vents, onion bhajis., etc. All the common buffet things.

There's a lot you can eat without touching any colour! :D

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:59 pm

:D :D I see!!

Now I think about it, I must say I have eaten an awful lot of beige buffets over the years :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:11 pm

PP, I have been following Dr Michael Mosley for quite some time and I do have the Fast 800 book, also the Fast 800 recipe book. It worked really well for me and I soon got used to fasting and now I can easily eat less. Maybe my stomach has shrunk! A woman that I know at the gym followed the 5/2 diet and she changed out of all recognition and has stuck to it.

Postby Amyw » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:30 pm

Yep pretty much food with no nutritional value at all but pretty yum !!

I support some diabetic people and the keto diet can be used to reverse type 2 diabetes but through strict medical guidance .

I think it gives very quick results , but I don’t think it’s sustainable long term . I’ve tried a version before and it’s one of those life controlling diets where you’re constantly googling carbs of different veg and the novelty of lots of high fat food wears off very quickly .

I think it’s the same as a low fat diet that my mum always used to slavishly follow . I think if you massively restrict on anything you end up craving it . With fat , I think you need some for the health benefits and also flavour

Postby herbidacious » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:35 pm

This year I have been eating less food than I used to in terms of portions and quantities, but I have had very little exercise and have eaten quite a lot of sweet stuff.
So I am hoping that I can reverse this by doing the opposite, but in the first instance it's going to involve a radical cut in calories.

I lost nearly two stone back in 2014, which I had gained partly because of meds I was on. I lost it then by going on a really rather low calorie diet. It took me about 10 weeks. I kept it off until last year, and before 'all this' was about 6lbs over my preferred weight. I think between 2014 and 2019 my body has changed a lot - menopause primarily. I cannot eat as much as I could without gaining weight.

Anyway I am going to kick start it with some meal replacements and cut out sugar (maybe allow me something once a week) and start exercising. I hate calorie counting, because I quickly become obsessive about it, but it's what works best for me.

I am imagining that it might be a bit harder to diet this time round - last time I was living on my own 5.5 days a week. Also last time I would skip dinner if I was out after work, which back then was once or twice a week.
At least I haven't gained a snacking habit whilst wfh, and am no longer doing the pre-dinner nibbles.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:57 am

Nice one, Pepper.
The better healthy kicks are the easier to manage ones. I guess that's why faddy ones fail so much. Cabbage diet. Which is the one that has as much meat as you desire.
My BIL couldn't stand it any more despite losing weight, and he's a MEAT eater.

Naughty me, I've just had a viennese swirl mince pie with my first cup of coffee. I'm at the stage it doesn't impact on my weight - funny that.
Also, I'm one of those people that look lighter than I am. I weigh very heavy.
So I don't really rely on the scales, although it's nice to see a reassuring lower number, if I weight myself once a month.

At the moment, I can get into everything in my wardrobe. Which is how I judge my healthy weight = I'm doing OK.

One thing that puzzles me, men seem to stop drinking and drop the pounds.
That never happens to me. It doesn't make any difference to how I feel (I feel no healthier for not drinking pretty much all this year). Can't tell at all.
Nor has it affected my weight.

I've always been a 2 meals a day person. But that's a large breakfast, and a rather large evening meal. Works for me.
But I put weight on if I have something large at lunchtime too :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Herbi
Good luck with that kickstart. I've always liked calorie counting as an aid. But have never taken notes, or added it all up. Just kept my eye on the value of ingredients.
I know it an approach that works for me.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:37 pm

I imagine whether or not you lose weight from giving up alcohol will depend very much on what you drink and how much! (And the latter, whether you feel physically better for giving it up.) If you just have a glass or two of wine a day it probably won't make much difference.

There are other factors in weight gain and alcohol though. Some people eat a lot at the end of a night out and possibly consumed crisps etc while drinking too. So give up one, you give up the other. But that's a night out... On a night in, if you sit sipping, you will probably be less active.

On the other hand, regular drinkers sometimes crave and eat sugary foods when they completely stop drinking - alcohol provides a lot of sugar - so calories lost from alcohol are gained elsewhere. When I gave up alcohol about eight and a half years ago, I rediscovered desserts, which I had eschewed for years... and put on weight.

I used to suspect that alcohol is not metabolized in the same way, from a calorific point of view, as food, but have heard of no research into this. Maybe men metabolize it differently too... or maybe they tend to drink more. Bigger frame and more required to take affect? I really don't know...

Nothing I have done to my diet has ever made me feel more physically healthy. This is only the second time in my life I have been officially overweight. No doubt losing it, especially if I exercise, will make me a bit healthier even if I don't feel it.

re calorie counting I use MyFitness Pal. It's a pain if you are a cook though. I only resort to it if I have a serious need to lose weight and a desire to see some results quickly. Otherwise cutting out or down on sugar will do it.
I think I will not calorie count initially - just do what I mentioned. Given how little I am eating, I hope a change in what I eat and activity levels, will work. Calorie counting is a last resort, and as I said I tend to become obsessive about it and eat less and less which I don't like. I can also talk about dieting obsessively too...

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:07 pm

I can also talk about dieting obsessively too...

ha ha ha.
I've just come off the phone to my sister, who talks non-stop about her dieting throughout. Although she has dieted all her life, she hasn't lost a pound in the last 2 decades.
I think your summing up about alcohol is round about right. Not big drinkers, so the impact of stopping is noticeable.

The other thing to bear in mind is, knowing and understanding your source for dieting help.
By that I mean, I had a personal trainer for 5 years. I got and am quite powerful - for example I can do 50 press ups.
But his dietary advice in concert with the training was rubbish.
His idea of a healthy snack was 7 almonds, or 11 raisins. No-one counts out 7 almonds let's face it. So I took the food advice overall, but didn't follow his 4 week meal plan.
It was riddled with fads/ things you'd question.

Postby Suelle » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 pm

I'd rather eat than drink calories, so I view all drinks with suspicion! :lol:

I don't take sugar in my coffee, which is always black. I use sweetener in green tea. I don't drink fruit juice or milk. Alcohol is for special occasions, in the company of others, apart from the occasional lager on a very hot afternoon.

My only 'indulgence' is a sweet and salty drink (usually a flavoured cordial) after exercise to keep my electrolytes balanced - I added a pinch of salt to the drink after my GP suggested I might be short of salt. I don't think it made any difference to the symptoms I had at the time, but the habit has stuck.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:25 pm

I do love a drink but it doesn’t massively affect my weight one way or another . I’m not a snack eater while I drink and even on a night out (remember those) , I’ve never been someone to grab food at the end of the night .

Today is my last day at work (have done 7 24 hr shifts in the last 8 days) so not super strict today but then going for a long walk tomorrow and will do a healthy shop . I find pre planning and organising really helpful to me . Weighed myself today as a starting point too

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:12 pm

herbidacious wrote:alcohol provides a lot of sugar

Where does this myth originate? I hear it quite often, but it's not the case, apart from drinks that are obviously sweetened, such as Bailey's there's very little sugar in most alcoholic drinks - but wine and beer contain little sugar, and of course there's non at all in distilled spirit, though there may be in mixers such as tonic

As they used to say on the Diat Pils adverts, during fermentation all the sugar turns to alcohol - your body can't reverse this

They (the relevant scientists) used to think alcohol didn't really count in terms of calories, as it isn't metabolised in the same way as carbohydrate, but then they decided it probably did provide calories, but I'm not sure how effective it is

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Amyw wrote:
Today is my last day at work (have done 7 24 hr shifts in the last 8 days) so not super strict today but then going for a long walk tomorrow and will do a healthy shop .

Bl**dy 'ell, Amy - that's some going! I hope that people appreciate just what you do :clap :clap
Treat yourself - even if only for today - you deserve it!

Postby Wic » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:50 pm

If anyone wants a physical New Year challenge and likes walking, this might be of interest. Lots of people say that they lose weight while doing it.

My husband has had an awful lot of big operations on his legs, he needs a stick when he’s out of the house, but he needs to keep on walking because otherwise he seizes up. So when I read about a virtual walk between Land’s End and John O’Groats, 874 miles, I entered him into it. You get a year to do it, I thought he might enjoy it. He thought it would be slightly interesting and started off gently, but once he began to notice that you could see where other people were on the map, and he got overtaken a couple of times, his extremely competitive nature kicked in and he really went for it. He began in the middle of August and finished on Christmas Day. His medal and T-shirt arrived yesterday! The thing is, what next? They don’t do a John O’Groats to Land’s End, which is a pity.

Having a goal to work towards really helped, and I suspect that that is the thing that makes all diets and plans work, it needs to feel achievable.

Postby scullion » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:53 pm

i think earth maiden has been doing that - or similar.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm

How do you monitor it, Wic? With a pedometer on a smart watch?
(which I no longer have).

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:19 pm

Pampy wrote:
Amyw wrote:
Today is my last day at work (have done 7 24 hr shifts in the last 8 days) so not super strict today but then going for a long walk tomorrow and will do a healthy shop .

Bl**dy 'ell, Amy - that's some going! I hope that people appreciate just what you do :clap :clap
Treat yourself - even if only for today - you deserve it!

Ah thank you , to be fair it’s been ok , looking forward to my next two days off though definitely!!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Yes Amy, feet up and chocolate today!!

It is me who's been doing the Lands End to John O'Groats. I'm in awe of anyone who's finished it already through just walking! A lot of runners have finished. It is good, you can use just a pedometer or Strava, or any of the modern recording methods. You have to upload it if you don't use Strava. I love watching the miles pass on the map. It only works out at around 2.4 miles a day if you take a year. I have had back trouble, tummy trouble and now knee - what on old crock! It's really affected my miles though. I now need to do 3.1 a day to catch up and my knee doesn't want to yet. I had intended doing couch to 3k and hopefully might still be able to if it heals. You are allowed to do it on a treadmill too.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
herbidacious wrote:alcohol provides a lot of sugar

Where does this myth originate? I hear it quite often, but it's not the case, apart from drinks that are obviously sweetened, such as Bailey's there's very little sugar in most alcoholic drinks - but wine and beer contain little sugar, and of course there's non at all in distilled spirit, though there may be in mixers such as tonic

As they used to say on the Diat Pils adverts, during fermentation all the sugar turns to alcohol - your body can't reverse this

They (the relevant scientists) used to think alcohol didn't really count in terms of calories, as it isn't metabolised in the same way as carbohydrate, but then they decided it probably did provide calories, but I'm not sure how effective it is

Ok my science was wrong/non-existent but there is a connection e.g.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/alcohol-and-blood-sugar.html

And the point still stands, anecdotally at least, that some people crave sugar initially, when they abstain from alcohol. There may be a pyschological aspect of course, if one is in the habit of drinking on a regular basis.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox