Register

Standard NY health kick

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Standard NY health kick

Postby Amyw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Although I weighed myself this morning and haven’t gained any weight , my weights plateaued last month or two and I really want to lose another stone .

I’ve been reading quite a bit about fasting and I know a nurse friend of mine swears by it as an effective weight loss aid . Normally I always find cutting down a fair bit on carbs helps me the most .

Is anyone else looking on cutting down a bit in the NY or have any recommended tips ? I’ve never got on with Slimming World, I don’t find the nutritional side of it great and seem too many friends obsessed with getting as much food as they can in with their “Syns” allowance

Re: Standard NY health kick

Postby Suelle » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:04 pm

Amyw wrote:Although I weighed myself this morning and haven’t gained any weight , my weights plateaued last month or two and I really want to lose another stone .

I’ve been reading quite a bit about fasting and I know a nurse friend of mine swears by it as an effective weight loss aid . Normally I always find cutting down a fair bit on carbs helps me the most .

Is anyone else looking on cutting down a bit in the NY or have any recommended tips ? I’ve never got on with Slimming World, I don’t find the nutritional side of it great and seem too many friends obsessed with getting as much food as they can in with their “Syns” allowance

That's what works for me.

I've been coasting along trying not to regain weight for the last few years, after losing 30kg on the 5:2 diet. I found the 5:2 diet quite easy to stick with as I'm one of those people who, each day, doesn't feel hungry until I eat something, but once I start it's hard to stop, as I never feel full either. But that meant when I was 'fasting' and only eating 600 or so calories a day, it never really triggered my urge to eat. You do have to be careful on the days between fasting days, that you don't allow yourself to think that it's Ok to eat more than usual, because you didn't eat yesterday - you can easily put your weekly calorific intake above what it should be to lose weight.

Now, I only eat between noon and 8pm and then cut down on carbs if I notice I'm gaining a bit of weight. (Tonight for instance I'm having parsnip and celeriac mash instead of potatoes, because of the excesses of the last two days.) Because of the restrictions necessary to lose weight in the past, I've also halved what were my usual pre-diet portions of carbohydrates such as rice, pasta and potatoes and cut out bread in the middle of the day - so carbohydrate reduction is how I keep in control now.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:06 pm

When I have lost weight, I have done it with physical work and cutting right back on food. When I lost a lot of weight a few years ago, I had a reasonable breakfast - cereal, tea and fruit, no added sugar - and then went through to supper, cutting out lunch on most days. No snacking. If I did have a midday bit of food, it was something like a salad sandwich or some fresh fruit. If I felt the pangs of hunger any other time, I had a glass of water which usually delayed the hunger. Over 18 months, I lost 30 Kg (5 stone). I have mainly kept it off for a while, but this second lockdown has been hard and I've gained 4 kg or so.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:40 pm

I have been overweight more than not for most of my life, I know the rules but am a bit of an emotional eater. I think that firstly you have to work out why you are overweight I.e. are you an emotional eater, do you just eat more calories than you expend because a) you like food b) you are too busy to think about it properly c) you don't move/exercise much etc?. All of these need addressing slightly differently but some habits are quite easy to change. Things like Slimming World help some people, I didn't like the ethos either.
Personally, I think that calorie counting works best along with a balanced diet (I.e, 1000 calories worth of chocolate each day is clearly not going to improve health or habits). Also planning, planning planning. Having something ready made available at the end of a busy day when you can't be ar**d to cook anything, keeping a food diary, either doing a fasting diet or having 6 smaller meals & snacks in a day (which is supposed to keep blood sugar levels stable but is easier to overeat). The NHS Weight Loss app was recommended to me and just counts your calories, it's quite useful.
I think most of us know the ratio of healthy foods v unhealthy and food groups we should be eating. This is where planning comes in.
Exercise can expend so many calories. Even just a walk can use up quite a few but swimming, running etc use so much more. I have always hated exercise :(.

Having just lost a stone through a tummy upset and finding I can wear some clothes I couldn't wear before and already looking better it's really motivated me to try to stick to a meal plan ( including any snacks or treats) and get a lot of weight off. My doctor will be pleased!

Postby aero280 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 pm

If you give away all your "loose" clothes, it will be too expensive to put the weight back on!! ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Ah! But when you are fat you go round in the same few clothes all the time so getting rid of them isn't a big deal.

That is why, in nice charity shops, there is always a good selection of quite good quality clothes in smaller sizes which the canny snap up and only tatty black trousers and hideous baggy tops in the larger sizes :roll:

Postby Amyw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Suelle wrote:
Amyw wrote:Although I weighed myself this morning and haven’t gained any weight , my weights plateaued last month or two and I really want to lose another stone .

That's what works for me.

I've been coasting along trying not to regain weight for the last few years, after losing 30kg on the 5:2 diet. I found the 5:2 diet quite easy to stick with as I'm one of those people who, each day, doesn't feel hungry until I eat something, but once I start it's hard to stop, as I never feel full either. But that meant when I was 'fasting' and only eating 600 or so calories a day, it never really triggered my urge to eat. You do have to be careful on the days between fasting days, that you don't allow yourself to think that it's Ok to eat more than usual, because you didn't eat yesterday - you can easily put your weekly calorific intake above what it should be to lose weight.

Now, I only eat between noon and 8pm and then cut down on carbs if I notice I'm gaining a bit of weight. (Tonight for instance I'm having parsnip and celeriac mash instead of potatoes, because of the excesses of the last two days.) Because of the restrictions necessary to lose weight in the past, I've also halved what were my usual pre-diet portions of carbohydrates such as rice, pasta and potatoes and cut out bread in the middle of the day - so carbohydrate reduction is how I keep in control now.

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking . I’m a carb fiend and loving baking doesn’t really help , so I think I’m going to try and avoid pasta and bread pretty much as they’re my downfall . I can eat masses of veg without getting bored so when my heads in diet mode , I can just cut out carbs such as potatoes and replace with masses of veg .

Congratulations aero, that’s a massive achievement. So easy to go up a pound here and there but so difficult to lose

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:26 am

I'm always impressed by everyone who loses weight. It's the hardest thing.

I cut one thing out. If I was gobbling sweets, I'd cut them. Or biscuits, no more biscuits, and slowly the kilos would move.
It's too hard to cut out too much.
Recently, I've cut bread, which has taken 3 kilos off over 4 months.

And there's exercise too. Little and big things. I'll always park at the furthest away supermarket parking bay.
I'll sometimes cycle into town, 3 miles there 3 miles back, or go for long bike rides. And I do Joe Wicks atm, until I can do HITT and spin classes again.

An all round approach really.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 am

I'd always been blessed with the ability to eat and drink what I liked without putting on weight, until it started to creep up when I turned 40. It occurred to me that if I didn't do anything about it, a few pounds would turn into a few stone. The most calorific substances we consume are fat and alcohol respectively, gram for gram more energy dense than either carbs or protein. Therefore, not only can we reduce our calorie intake more significantly than otherwise by concentrating on those things, but also a reduction in booze and fat might well be beneficial for other reasons.

If you find that you eat a lot of cheese, chocolate, pastry, cakes or biscuits, or drink a fair bit, maybe (after Christmas) start having the odd day without them, or make them a weekend treat. Maybe there are other obvious parts of your diet that could be addressed, if you have lots of sugary drinks over the day, for example. Whatever you cut down, don't torture yourself, don't go silly, just concentrate on the big things and see if that makes a difference.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 pm

I forgot to say that something I've found very, very effective is to eliminate all bought or home made goods containing white flour (which initially includes pasta) and and to try to stick to rice and other whole grains for the carb/roughage element (along with pulses and vegetable fibre). It eliminates most 'naughty' treats as long as you don't pig out on sweets or chocolate instead!

Postby Suelle » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm

After 40+ years of trying every diet under the sun, the one thing I have learned is that you have to find what works for you. There are so many physical and psychological factors at play and that makes each of us unique.

What worked for me may not work for someone else, as witnessed by other people's differing experiences here.

I've found exercise helpful in maintaining fitness, but never any good for weight loss.

I have friend who did the 5:2 diet at the same time as me, but who has put back all the weight lost, whereas I've found that the long time on the diet retrained me to some extent, so for the first time in 40+ years I haven't gained any appreciable amount of weight.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Amyw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:35 pm

I agree I don’t think there’s one overall approach . Friends of mine swear by slimming world which as I’d said didn’t work for me . Another friend says calorie counting is the key but she becomes quite obsessive about it and makes pretty unhealthy choices which she sees as fine as they’re within her calorie total .

I try and focus more on lots of veg , and cut out the refined carbs plus a lot of the goodies . Swooping wine for gin tends to help too !!

Postby scullion » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:09 pm

i just try and eat less - use a smaller plate. the older i get it seems the less i need.
i find that if i cut stuff out i just want it all the more.
i do try to eat between certain hours (not always successfully, but i don't beat myself up) and try not to snack.
i suppose it does help that i love salad. it doesn't help that i also love chips with plenty of mayonnaise.

(my computer changed chips to cops - which would connote something totally different - with plenty of mayonnaise...)

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Suelle wrote:Now, I only eat between noon and 8pm and then cut down on carbs if I notice I'm gaining a bit of weight. (Tonight for instance I'm having parsnip and celeriac mash instead of potatoes, because of the excesses of the last two days.) Because of the restrictions necessary to lose weight in the past, I've also halved what were my usual pre-diet portions of carbohydrates such as rice, pasta and potatoes and cut out bread in the middle of the day - so carbohydrate reduction is how I keep in control now.

I'm doing exactly the same Suelle and it worked well for me, although Christmas got in the way. I'm back to doing the fasting until noon and cutting right back on carbs. I feel so much better when doing this.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:32 pm

I have lost a stone since the first lockdown began, without trying. I put it down to not eating out and to cooking for someone who has little appetitie and no interest in food but I haven't really noticed I'm eating less. And it's annoying because for the last 25 years until this one I have swum daily, walked the dogs and, until 5 years ago, been in a fairly non-sedentary job. I have also been a martyr to various diets. Throughout 2020 I have had minimal exercise. I have not weighed less than this since 1991, and in the interim have been at least 4 stone heavier than I am now.

I have dabbled with the Fast 800 and I think that is probably the way to go with me as I get older.

Postby Amyw » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Well done PP. It's amazing just the difference a stone can make. I lost just over a stone and a half in the last year or so and looking at old pbotos, especially in my face you can definitely see.

Spurring me on for my next stone . I have a beige buffet at work tonight then on it like a car bonnet !!

Postby jeral » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:42 pm

Has anyone looked at the Keto (ketogenic) diet which cuts carbs and protein to a minimum amount so that a plate's majority content is fatty food?

That eating fat keeps one full for longer is by no means a new idea, nor is the idea of eating a fatty protein breakfast (think full English) rather than skipping breakfast for weight loss.

Indeed microwave packs rely on fat, but also sugar. The Keto diet differs from those as it disallows overt sugary products and those veg/fruit carbs that turn to sugar; high fibre (carb) ones are acceptable as fibre is not digested just traversing through. It also promotes fresh food with minimal additives not surprisingly.

It does seem to need a leap of faith, i.e. going the whole hog, as apparently one has to cross into a keto state whereby the body has learned to utilise fat not carbs for energy, thus including stored body fat.

I look at diets so I can do the opposite and gain weight. Like many, I feel bloated and "heavy" after carbs. The trick is to reduce (or not to build up) inner body fat around the waist area organs. Does exercise help disperse that?

Postby smitch » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 pm

My understanding is that keto can be extremely dangerous and should only be done under close medical supervision.

Postby Pampy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:20 pm

It can be - and I've been told it's definitely a no-no for diabetics unless very strictly monitored.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:38 pm

Amyw wrote:I have a beige buffet at work tonight

:oops: what's a beige buffet please? :oops:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox