Register

Pizza

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pizza

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Father Christmas brought me a cast iron pizza "stone". I've researched dough making recipes, and they all seem to call for the inclusion of semolina - both in the mix, and for dusting. The only semolina I can source, at the moment, is "coarse" semolina. Intuitively, it seems to me that that could cause the crust to burn - do you think it would be ok, or should I give it a bit of a blitz in the food processor? Or am I beind typically thick - and there only is one grade?

Also please, is strong white flour the same as bread flour?

Re: Pizza

Postby Suelle » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:49 pm

I'd suggest a little more research.

Semolina is in no way essential in the dough.

Many recipes suggest dusting the pan/stone and the work surface with semolina, but polenta or other types of cornmeal can be substituted there, and even then, it's not essential. Flour can be used for dusting the work surface.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pizzadoughbase_70980
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:51 pm

If it’s just for dusting coarse will be fine, but as Suelle says, I rarely bother ... and yes, strong white = bread flour

You can buy special ‘00 pizza flour’ but I don’t bother.

Lucky you ... we often have homemade pizza for Saturday supper ... I’d love a cast iron pizza stone. Problem is I make huge pizzas ... the size of a large baking sheet ... I wonder if you can get them that big .... I probably wouldn’t be able to lift it :roll: a rethink is required methinks :mug:

Postby Suelle » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Let us know how things work out! :)

I'm hopeless with yeast, but I plan on trying the SR flour/yogurt (no yeast) flatbread recipe as a pizza base at some point.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:58 pm

That's a thoughtful gift.
And coarse semolina is fine. If just for dusting that is. It gives the base to the pizza a lovely nutty taste, and something extra beyond a bread.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks both - that's just wanted to hear. Oddly enough, my researches were also on the BBCFood website - one from Paul Hollywood.

Suffs - my "stone" is 14 inches diameter, and fits into my oven with room to spare - but not much.

Thanks again.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Sorry to have excluded you, Gill - we cross posted.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:15 pm

I'd be tempted to buy ready made pizza dough and roll it to shape :lol:

Postby Amyw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Me too haha . I really have to be in the mood to make bread . Just before Xmas I went to my friends bar and had a Xmas pizza which sounded like it shouldn’t work but did .

The base and crust were excellent , the cheese used was Wensleydale then little dots of stuffing and cranberry sauce along with little chunks of turkey and crispy sage leaves on top . I think because all the components were scattered in the right quantities , it didn’t make it too much of a mish mash .

What are your planned toppings ?

Postby Suffs » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:37 pm

I use the discard from my sourdough starter to make a thin and crispy pizza base that we much prefer to the thicker more ‘breads’ based.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Disaster! I've just cut myself. There was blood all over the place. It's a deep stab sort of cut, not a slice. It's on my kneading finger! I'm not sure what toppings will be favourite, but I suspect there will be a lot of cheese involved.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:10 pm

Lucky you Gruney - great present! What size did Santa bring you?
Agree with others that nothing special for flour is required, just whatever you prefer.

Strong flour = bread flour - look for a high gluten/protein content on the label. Interestingly, 00 flour is not super high protein, but is ground very finely.

1+My usual pizza trays are a heavyish duty 16" commercial stippled aluminium for the big pizzas and a 14" originally 'non stick' heavy duty perforated pan and I get similar results from both - very hot oven and dusting well with flour whatever choice is the trick. Both have been blackened with oven patina over time which helps the bake IMO.

I prefer to make the dough and let it fridge overnight. ** A tablespoon of old starter - re Suffs comment - gives a great texture.

We're thin crust people too :D

** This makes it ready dough - dough at the ready - and can be fridged for up to a few days before using or frozen. :D

I bet you could become a very good yeast baker Suelle! It's all up there (points to head) :D

edited to add:
Oh no Gruney! How did you do that?? :shock:

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:18 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Oh no Gruney! How did you do that??

I knocked something that fell onto a plate, which then fell to the floor, and smashed. My reflex was to grab rhe plate but in thrusting my hand forward, I stabbed my finger on the handle end corner of my 12inch cook's knife.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Oh no! That's my usual trick! :shock: :lol: (klutz, here!)

Make sure the cut's all clean and put your pizza making on hold!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Every kitchen professional will tell you, in no uncertain terms, that if something falls off the work surface, especially knives, you let them go.
Yet the natural reaction is to try and stop them falling, isn´t it? We all do it!
Hope the cut heals soon, Gruney, so you can make more and more pizzas. :clap :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:11 am

No worries at all, Gruney.
I thought I was a thin as you can make it pizza fan. Until I made a rather thicker base than normal.
And am happy to mix it up as the mood takes us, deep pan or thin.

And the advantage of a kitchen cut is they are so sharp, they knit together and heal quickly.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox