Register

Any cooking hiccups?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Any cooking hiccups?

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:20 am

I’m happy to say that there were no hiccups which was a miracle really considering I hadn’t cooked Christmas dinner for a few years. Normally I stay with friends but there’s been nothing normal about this year......

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:43 am

No there isn't, NLB.

Strawberry klondike ice cream

That sounds rather excellent, Zero. How do you make it?

I should have carefully incorporated plain flour for the thickening, yes.
On the bright side, I can make perfect creme anglaise.

Well done everyone on your successes.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:06 pm

No hiccups here, as my usual epic fail is not getting simultaneous timings right and that wasn't necessary this year being food just for me.

Also, I gave in and finally bought a little timer beforehand. I'd found that time flies by a lot quicker than my body clock tells me these days, as the timer very usefully keeps reminding me...

One thing I was/am struggling with is fridge shelf space once leftovers need space. Luckily no accidental upset mishaps yet, touch wood.

Re cuts, I bought a new cook's knife a while back and hesitate to use it due to that stupidly sharp corner adjacent to the handgrip. Why they don't blunt that corner is beyond me. Maybe a blob of superglue might round it off.

Postby scullion » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:17 pm

or a few swipes with a sharpening stone used to blunt rather than sharpen?
i have a ceramic knife like that - i blunted the corner with a diamond knife sharpener.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Good call. Now, blunting is something I can do with a knife sharpener :lol:

Postby liketocook » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:12 pm

No hiccups but I did completely forget I had bought shallots to roast on Christmas day until yesterday.

Postby Suffs » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Unexpectedly available shallots are a heaven-sent opportunity to make this
https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/shallot-tarte-tatin

Don’t worry about the pastry. I don’t use bought flaky, I use homemade roughpuff ... I’ve usually got a lump in the freezer. :D

Postby liketocook » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks suffs, that looks gorgeous. I've book marked it. I have bought puff pastry in the freezer, home made short crust or suet is about my limit in the pastry making department!

Postby Lokelani » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:27 pm

It actually went more smoothly than usual, nothing forgotten. I've found the secret is a spreadsheet of timings & a lot of timers set. Which I then just ignore & move on as necessary!

Biggest relief this year was not having a worse power cut with Boxing Day stormy night, only 30 mins or so.

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Absolutely nothing went wrong with my cheese eating!

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:15 pm

Our seafood platter was eaten cold with Asian slaw and wholemeal bread.
No hiccups there.

However I did forget to serve the starter of cream cheese and fake caviar, so I knocked up some blinis yesterday....

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 pm

That shallot tarte tartin looks very good Suffs.
I rarely have a surfeit of shallots but that would be worth having one for. I buy extra shallots for Nam Prik Pao, the keeps-in-the-fridge-forever Thai flavouring paste that uses shallots, garlic and chili as the base.

Very yum, WW.

Gill, klondike strawberry ice cream is very good, very calorific -but hey it was xmas - and my name for a tweak I perform on a swiss meringue base no-churn ice cream seriouseats copy of the klondike bar an iconic American chocolate dipped vanilla ice cream bar. I found the recipe by chance on the seriouseats website last year. Was intrigued by swiss meringue and its uses. You heat sugar and egg whites over hot water until they reach 74°c/165F then remove from heat and beat until extremely thick. It's used a fair bit in pastry cheffing and confectionery I think. The klondike bar copy folds in whipped double cream and is then poured into a prepped tray and frozen without churning. Right up my alley.
Mr0 loves strawberry ice cream so my tweak was to cut the salt to a pinch, up the vanilla & replace the small amount of milk with more cream, allow the ice cream to set then add in 400g pureed frozen strawberries and put back in freezer. Good with a slice of the 6" no marzipan or icing xmas cake. :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Jeral and Magicmarmite

That is a good link, Suffs.

Wow, ~Zero.
You've blown me away with both the ice cream and the fruit cake.
Perfection!
Tony's just agreed, I've shown him your piccie.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:36 pm

I love Swiss meringue. To use as an ice cream base sounds wonderful.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Never had used swiss meringue before this - what do you do with it EM?

Why thank you Gill and Tony :D

Actually the cake which was made a couple of weeks before xmas, so couldn't hiccup on the day, did have a hiccup - slightly overbaked on the outside and top edges - which was remedied with regular brandy brushing and feeding - highly recommended :D

Postby Suffs » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:03 am

That ice cream looks good ... no room in the freezer at the moment, but we’re working on that :yum

As for the shallot tarte tatin, I’ve also made it with smallish onions, halved and caramelised with the ‘cut sides down’ in the pan so that they’re on view when the tarte is turned out. It works well. I’ve also made it with pickling type onions. Slightly different but it works. Don’t let a lack of shallots deter you ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:33 pm

I’ve made Delia’s red onion tarte , either with her suggested cheese pastry or with bought puff, very good

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Now you mention it, I was thinking of Italian meringue which uses a slightly different method and which I have always found quite hard to get right. I have tried to make cakey sort of meringues with it (nests etc) but it needs practice. Better for frostings, meringue toppings etc - lovely and smooth.

Swiss meringue looks slightly easier with great looking results. Again, it lends itself well to toppings and frostings ... and your ice cream!

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks for that Suffs - I think the small halved onions appeal visually and for symmetry when placing.

I had a read -up on the difference between French, Swiss and Italian meringue - I had only made standard (French) meringue before the ice cream venture.
https://www.finedininglovers.com/articl ... ifferences

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 am

I'm always confused.
Which is the quick one you whip up, and put the blow torch to the outside. Which is my least favourite I'm afraid.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox