Register

instant pot

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: instant pot

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:54 pm

prepared the veg and also washed the machine afterwards

Good G :shock: d.

I'm really tempted by the soup maker, as it is my default evening meal for something easy and light.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Slimpersoninside - is yours an all singing dancing one or one that just makes nice soup? (I.e. how much do you have to prep/wash up?).

Postby Linnet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:29 pm

I was bought a rather expensive soup maker about 2 years ago, and I'm afraid that after using it a few times I felt very guilty but returned it to the giver. I like to be able to add things to the soup as I go along, depending on how long they take to cook, but with that it all had to be put in at the start, and if I opened it to add something, it went back to the start. For a soup where all roughly prepped veg goes in at once it was very quick and easy, but it didn't suit me. Can't remember now what make it was, but can find out if anyone wants.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Ditto Linnet. I hated the one I was given - think it was a Cuisinart as my elder son was marketing them for his firm at the time. It was also a pain getting the goblet off the stand when it was ready. As it hadn’t cost him anything it was passed around the family until someone liked it. No idea who has it now.

Postby Pampy » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Linnet wrote:I was bought a rather expensive soup maker about 2 years ago, and I'm afraid that after using it a few times I felt very guilty but returned it to the giver. I like to be able to add things to the soup as I go along, depending on how long they take to cook, but with that it all had to be put in at the start, and if I opened it to add something, it went back to the start. For a soup where all roughly prepped veg goes in at once it was very quick and easy, but it didn't suit me. Can't remember now what make it was, but can find out if anyone wants.

I add things depending on how long they take to cook too - can't see that a soup maker would fit in with my cooking method.

Badger's Mate wrote:It's funny, the IP and breadmaker are both valued bits of kit that I wouldn't want to be without. Both get used several times a week and are worth their place in the cupboard and on the worktop respectively. The IP takes the place of both the old stove top pressure cooker and the slow cooker, thereby saving some space. The breadmaker does the job without making a mess in a smallish kitchen.

For soups, by contrast, I'm happy with a pan and a stick blender.

My thoughts exactly!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I have an IP Gill. It's a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer and all sorts of other things. Mine is an early model but the newer ones can be air-fryers too.

And PP very kindly bought mine too ... The newer models also do Sous Vides and yogurt too ..

I was able to give away both my (cheap) slow cooker and (old stove-top) pressure cooker, so gained some room, but soon discovered that (for me anyway), if it wasn't permanently on the counter, then I wouldn't get the use out of it - the same goes for my Bamix too .

I love stews and slow cooked chicken, but also risotto and also the speed and convenience of cooking veg as it automatically turns off. :thumbsup

I think the newest model is a Vortex, but not really sure exactly what it does ... for a one person household, my current model does all I want it to. :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:56 pm

I use a pressure cooker a lot - stocks, stews, some soups, pulses of course

I have Catherine Phipps Pressure Cooker book, if you are thinking of getting any kind of pressure cooker she explains the advantages well in the introduction, which you can’t read in preview, I think the next edition (next in the series?) will have IP instructions but she wrote in 2011/12 before the boom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Cooke ... /ref=nodl_

Postby Rainbow » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:55 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I use a pressure cooker a lot - stocks, stews, some soups, pulses of course

I have Catherine Phipps Pressure Cooker book, if you are thinking of getting any kind of pressure cooker she explains the advantages well in the introduction, which you can’t read in preview, I think the next edition (next in the series?) will have IP instructions but she wrote in 2011/12 before the boom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Cooke ... /ref=nodl_

Just looked at your link, Sue. On Amazon UK the book is about £10 for the Kindle edition and £11 for the hardback. On Amazon AU it's $20 for the Kindle but the hardback is $116.72 :o :shock:

I've been thinking about an IP for a while but don't really need one. My pressure cooker (stove top) works well and I don't use my cheap slow cooker very often. But I do like gadgets!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am

I meant CAN read in preview of course - it’s quite a generous chunk of Look Inside

Catherine came to talk to our cookbook club which is why I think she might be heading for IP instructions but not sure of details

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:05 am

That is indeed a generous Look Inside preview, Sue.

I've been thinking about this more, and I don't think I really require the IP.
Indeed, looking at the Vortex video, Patsy, the Air Fryer can do some of it. I guess I should just use my air fryer more.
I might do scotch eggs at the weekend in it. They are always a hit when I make them.

And I like anything and everything eggy.

As an aside, the advantage of the new house is, I have made myself room for a "pantry", which is 3metres high in there. It's really a coat cupboard off the front door, but I've grabbed it.
And it's made my kitchen life a delight. It's jolly cool in there too which is excellent for food storage.
No more stuffing gadgets clumsily and untidily on top of the pretty kitchen units. I've put Ikea racks inside there that were 1mm too wide. How did I manage to get them in? (by taking the electric box door off and putting it back on again).
It's by no means perfect, & I've had some months now to think about rearranging the area which is a future mini project.

But I love it! And I clearly have room enough for more food storage (and those gadgets that I might acquire in the future).

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Oooh, I envy your pantry Gill!
When I was little, the house I grew up in had a kitchen/breakfast room, I guess we'd call it now, a scullery, and three little rooms off the scullery by the back door, one of which was a (horrible cold and damp!) toilet. One was a pantry and the other one also had what used to be an old-fashioned fridge - could it have been a gas fridge? Were there ever such things in the 40s/50s? I remember things left over from rationing on the shelves, although as I was born in 1954 I don't remember rationing as an experience.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:07 pm

yes, you could get gas fridges.
When I grew up, we had a dark cellar = haunted playroom (5 kids). I'm still not sure if I loved it down there or not.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm pretty sure gas fridges date back to the 30s, possibly even early

My grandparent's house, which has been in the family since it was built ca 1890 had a pantry that was a small room that had a door onto the hall way and another onto the kitchen, the kitchen had 2 other doors towards the garden & the dining room, I don't remember a scullery or laundry but I think there must have been one, perhaps on the way out to the garden

My cousin and I played pirates in the pantry - why pirates, I don't know but we were Captain Pugwash fans of course

Postby Renee » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:37 pm

I love that pantry Gill! Well done. I do have a coat cupboard inside the front door that has sliding doors, but it's full of jackets, vac cleaner, wellies and trainers sadly.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm

You could always clear it out, and have your very own pantry. If you need one that is, Renee.
The green thing in my image is a bag on the door filled with plastic shopping bags. I've found another place for it now, as it was bugging me mucho.

Well I had a go at making salt cod croquetas in the air fryer.
And it's more trouble than it is worth. It was difficult to handle them and turn them halfway. I do avoid deep frying, but think that's the only way to cook them really.
They were tasty, browned, but a bit squished where I had to get them out with tongs. Effectively, you did not get that outer crust that you would with deep frying.

Would the IP be able to handle delicate croquetas?

Postby jeral » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Gillthepainter, re turning things over, I have a similar tong-scrunch problem with my halogen fan, so I place items on foil or paper with enough either side to lift it out onto a plate then turn items with fish slice. Or, put items in a small pie tin (or the bigger trays it comes with which special tongs lift out).

If actually deep frying, keeping warm after on kitchen paper in my halogen or presumably your acti-fryer is a good way of draining excess oil before serving.

PS Some things I can turn by gripping gently with kitchen paper to stop my fingers burning.

Postby Pampy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:06 pm

An air fryer doesn't deep fry - that's one of its usp's - you only use a very small amount of oil.

Postby jeral » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Is that for me Pampy? If so, I am aware of that, hence saying if actually deep frying, which I do in a saucepan occasionally and then use the halogen to keep warm and drain items (lots of oil comes out even though blotted first).

If reheating deep fried from cold, I also use the halogen. I'm not sure how well reheating works if acti-fried or instant pot'd since as you say there'll only be a minimal amount of oil so might become cardboard tough?

PS I learned the trick when I moaned that my prawn sesame toasts were oily and someone (apols forget who) on here kindly told me the reheat on paper trick.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:09 pm

I had about 3 very brief experiences with an air fryer. Neither pakoras nor falafel worked; Spanish /potato and ham)croquettes neither. My kids bought one to do (pre-cut) chips, chicken nuggets and fish fingers.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Yes, I'll stick to the chips which work extremely well.
I used to have a deep fat thigher, but it depressed me. All that oiliness and steam coming out the top of the machine.

I'd rather put a pan of oil on the stove.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox