Register

Recommendations of food sites /social media accounts

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Recommendations of food sites /social media accounts

Postby Amyw » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:44 pm

I thought it would be interesting if we could all share our favourite food sites and /or social media accounts ... obviously apart from this great site .

https://www.chowhound.com/ Has some interesting articles about what Americans do across the pond and is good for a little dip into

https://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/ Is really good for different types of chillies and if you want to start experimenting more with Mexican food

https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/ Is local to me so I can buy a lot of their products in farm shops etc but they deliver all over the UK

On Instagram ...

@ hollowlegs some might recognise from the BBC days . Just moved to Germany and has a gorgeous son

@symmetrybreakfast the most gorgeous instagrammable breakfasts known to man

@foodstories beautiful bright vivid food

Re: Recommendations of food sites /social media accounts

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Thanks Amy, I will check these out.

On Instagram I like millitaylor and Diana Henry. Also Nigella posts a lot of delicious stuff.

I used to follow and spend lots of time reading blogs but have got out of the habit, I’m more likely to listen to podcasts while cooking nowadays.

I didn’t realise hollowlegs had moved and had a baby, I used to follow her blog and I have her cook book somewhere! I’ll have to search for it. I’ll give her a follow.

Postby Amyw » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 pm

I don’t know , I used to follow loads of blogs too , but they’ve kind of fallen by the wayside. I think Instagram has taken over a lot more and things are a lot more visual .

I follow Diana Henry and Nigella too on Instagram , they’re good aren’t they . Fiona Beckett is another good one

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:19 pm

I just do Twitter.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:12 am

I mainly follow people on Twitter, I follow Lizzie (hollowlegs) and thought I followed her on Instagram but for some reason, no. I have the book, Chinatown Kitchen, I recommend the Chinese spag bol and the prawns withThai basil. Amused to see from her pics she’s still riffing on spag bol, I remember a long thread about it

On Instagram I follow @bakeronboard aka John Ivor Holland, started following him as he’s an acquaintance but his cake decoration is astonishing, and I can testify they taste as good as they look

I also follow on Burmese Food and Beyond aka meemalee aka MiMi Aye in different places
http://www.meemalee.com/

Also on various platforms Niamh Shields aka Eat Like a Girl, she has a bacon cook book out this month, lovely design
https://eatlikeagirl.com/

Also more obvious people like Diana Henry, Jay Rayner, Wilde’s Cheese

Postby Amyw » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Did Niamh and meemalee post on the Beeb board too ? I follow Niamh , her work is great and her latest book very eye catching

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:27 pm

I don’t think either of them posted on the BBC board, but there seems to be an informal network of London foodies that includes Niamh, MiMi, Sudi Piggott, Rangoon Sisters, Ed Smith aka Rocket & Squash, associated with Borough Market (https://www.rocketandsquash.com/), Felicity Cloake etc which I became aware of through Kavey (let’s not forget Kavey Eats or Mamta’s Kitchen)

I also got clued up by going to cookbook events organised by Debora Robertson (Notes from a Small Kitchen Island in the Telegraph) for the local library. Thane Prince’s cook book club and the British Library), which is one of the good things about living here that when not in lockdown there are a lot of events

Postby scullion » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:19 pm

i don't follow anyone on anything.
i made the decision about a decade ago, when i would be informed of people's 'status' rather too often and when i got requests to be friends from acquaintances i hadn't seen for even more decades, that i wouldn't add any more friends on facebook (i think i had about thirty before stopping - although my partner added a couple of groups before i insisted he got his own 'membership').
at the same time i also decided that i wouldn't be signing up to instagram, pinterest committing myself to following/subscribing to anyone and just getting on with real life.
there are a couple of sites i have in the past signed up to - like the old beeb and wildwood boards, the good food one, delia and great british chefs (and gardeners world) but i only use them if i'm looking for something particular and rarely sign in.
i have a twitter account but have only ever sent two tweets (also about a decade ago - although somehow i seem to have thirty or more followers - why‽‽‽).
otherwise, this site is the nearest i get to social media.

Postby Pampy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm with you, scullion. I have a FB account which I just use to keep in touch with very close friends and family - I rarely post anything though. I find it rather creepy when I get friend requests from people I don't know (usually friends of friends) and never accept them. Other than that and a no longer updated LinkedIn account, I have no presence on social media.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:31 pm

Most of my "follows" are on Instagram, and are (mostly) in Spanish - there´s translation available. My account is almost exclusively dedicated to food - although orchids, bromelias (and my dog) do figure occasionally.I follow Ramsay and Jamie Oliver; very few others from over there because the cuisine is not compatible
with South American flavours.
I gave up Twitter a long time ago because it was becoming too political, Facebook, occasionally.
There´s an ex-student of mine who posts in Boston. I frequently disagree with her recipes (because she uses tins, jars, ready-made stuff, etc.) but say nothing... She posts some interesting stuff and has a good following. Find her on Instagram at @123gourmet.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:12 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I gave up Twitter a long time ago because it was becoming too political,

But the beauty of Twitter is that you choose who you follow. If you don't do politics than don't respond.

Postby MagicMarmite » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 pm

I still remember when Lizzie told me off for breastfeeding my daughter on a display bed in M&S, apparently I should have taken her somewhere private, or gone home.
:D
Anyway, I like Chowhound too, but that's really the only other food site I check that anyone might find interesting.
I have a weird addiction to Disney food stuff, and I'm on Mumsnet so use their food topic.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:38 pm

I find Facebook useful for arranging events, and finding out when they happen, I don't regard it as my main way of following people - I'm in backgammon groups and my cookbook club for example, mostly closed groups, and the inevitable neighbourhood ones, that's how I found my Tai Chi class through a local group

There are people I don't pay much attention to on both Instagram and Facebook as they post mainly "stories" and I can't see the horrible things.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:47 am

I don't follow anyone/thing foody on twitter, instagram etc. as far as I know (oh apart from Mamta on FB!), and am not a fan of blogs, (I acutally really dislike them) but I like the recipes on this one, and it's the only food site I officially follow (but don't really):

https://smittenkitchen.com/

Also

https://food52.com/recipes

And of course the Guardian food pages.

Apart from that I usually only go to food web sites as a result of googling a specific recipe or recipe ideas for an ingredient. I often end up on the Jamie Oliver site.
I like the Luchito brand and they have some useful recipes on their site.

I do buy food online quite often though. Where to start... Mexgrocer, Brindisi, the Souschef https://www.souschef.co.uk/
Have tried out various spice shops this year e.g. https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/ Nature's Kitchen https://www.naturekitchen.co.uk/ In the past have used The Spice Shop https://thespiceshop.co.uk/ edit: ooh and Ankerkraut (German site/company.)
Borough market
The Sauce shop
Belazu
Isle of Wight Garlic Farm

Many of these have recipes on their sites.
Last edited by herbidacious on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pampy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:15 am

Sue's post has reminded me that I am a member of one FB group (not food (although there is a food special interest group run by a chap in Spain) - Mensa) which I've used more this year because in-person meetings have stopped.
Last edited by Pampy on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 am

If we are moving away from food, I am a member of lots of genealogy FB groups. On most of these, though, there are so many people that I am virtually anonymous, I imagine, but on one in particular, I am probably related to everyone else on it :) I have made quite a few online friends through genealogy, more or less vaguely related to me and otherwise.
But FB is not a great platform for forum-like activity, imo. It's not really designed for dialogue, either visually (reading through threads is not easy when they have many sub threads) or in it's purpose - which is basically to do the equivalent of saying very loudly what you want to say without too much regard for what anyone else has to say. But many old-style forums have folded, and the ones that are left are, I suspect, largely populated by over 40s. But that might be just the subject matter I engage with. Amy may correct me here!

Anyway I am on the BBC gardening forum too, but not 'known' on there - I only really go to ask questons. Also a FB gardening group. Plus one other forum I have been a regular 'contributor' to for about ten years.

And then there is Flickr. A few Wildies (or ex Wildie in one case) on there whom I follow.

I used to belong to a FB sourdough group (!), but it was full of sourdough utter obsessives (mainly men, it has to be said) so I left it.

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Oh, I follow Kavey, but that goes without saying!

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:12 pm

The obsessive groups are faintly worrying! I am a big Gilbert and Sullivan fan but I was totally cured when I joined an FB group related to them. I left after about 48 hours!

Postby Amyw » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:02 pm

I’m on Facebook , InstGram and Twitter , though never post . I think social media has its ups and downs . I simply unfollow /block people who are annoying or trolling . I found FB invaluable during lockdown with local businesses posting their services , which ones delivered etc . In our little town , we actually do a lot of fundraising /helping those in need through various groups .

I find Instagram a bit of a gentler place . I find it great for memories to list photos and like the facility where photos pop up from 2/5 etc years ago . Can be quite scary how quickly time goes

Postby herbidacious » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:34 pm

I really don't get awful posts on FB. I only friend people who I know fairly well though, on the whole.
However I have had to 'hide' a couple of people because they are annoying me too much. (No one on this site, I hasten to add :) )
Had some weird sh*t when I made my Instagram account public. Clearly they didn't realize I was a middle aged woman ;) I have Twitter account(s) but really can't be bothered with it. It seems to take ages to get the ball running, and then it's like a needy baby.
I do suspect that 'older' people have a different relationship with social media, though, than people who have had it since their teens.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox