Register

Christmas recipes foods, and cooking ideas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Christmas recipes foods, and cooking ideas

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:54 pm

Does your relative eat meat substitutes, KC? I was thinking maybe when pieces in a creamy sauce , maybe with some sherry in for a festive feel.

I'm afraid I have to disagree Jeral about the Aunt Bessies sides . The potatoes egg I've tried have been awful unless they've changed the recipe recently .

The other option KC is do you have a microwave . Thinking you could always cook a nut loaf or similar the night before and reheat in micro, or I suppose even in a frying pan with a little gravy to stop it from drying out

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Yes, jeral, we always have mashed sweet potatoes and roast potatoes that DS1 likes, if he's here, which happens every few years or so. Not the roast carrots and parsnips though, and definitely not sprouts :lol: :lol: (Unlike DS2 who likes all of the above as well as whatever roast is there :lol: )

I'm trying to remember what we had the last time he was here and I think I got Waitrose's posh pine nut and pesto or goat's cheese and red onion fiorelli with home-made rocket pesto. Not very festive, but practical!

I agree a mushroom bourgignon would be great and would go really well with the other veg - I've even got a terrific recipe, which unfortunately has both mushrooms and carrots in, and both no-nos!!
How did we produce such a fussy young man :roll: Well, until he went to university and had to learn to like pizza, he basically ate pasta and pesto, so at least nowadays is an improvement on that!

Amy, no, unfortunately, meat subs wouldn't be an option. But, yes, making something the day before and warming it up in the microwave is very likely the way to go. If it's some sort of loaf, we'd need a sauce or it could be a bit dry, as you say.

I usually buy ready made turkey or chicken gravy as we have a prepared, boneless roast, and I'm also not a very accomplished gravy maker, even if the option is there :oops:

Postby Uschi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I haven't had a white russian since my 20s. I used to love them.

I make snowballs when I go back home.
My sister has had a bottle of advocaat for years now that serves this purpose, slowly going down and down. It was so popular back in the 80's when I worked in a pub restaurant during student holidays.
Tony likes a screwdriver (fresh orange and vodka)

I always make them for our New Year party. Advokaat (Eierlikör) is considered naff here (but beloved to many, nevertheless), but Snowballs are OK. Not that they were/are well-known here.

We used to drink them in The Tors in Belstone in the '80s. Such fun.

Postby smitch » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:50 pm

KC2, can you get veggie haggis anywhere? Ocado often sell it. That can be cooked in slices in the microwave and I think it is really tasty.

Postby Kacey » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:50 pm

M&S sell veggie haggis too these days, I usually keep one in the freezer for when we fancy a really 'savoury' roast dinner. I have a recipe for a chickpea roast that I've used for Christmas dinners, it goes down well with veggies and carnivores alike.

Just made mincemeat for the first time!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:24 pm

That's a really interesting, and different option, Smitch, good to know M & S does it too, Kacey.

Will investigate! Might be worth getting one in anyway, and keeping it in the freezer, as you do, Kacey!

Chickpea roast sounds excellent, particularly if it can be made the day before. Please do share your recipe! Thanks!

Postby Rainbow » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:28 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Chickpea roast sounds excellent, particularly if it can be made the day before. Please do share your recipe! Thanks!

I'll second that. I usually make a nut roast for Xmas but a chickpea one sounds like a nice option :)

Postby scullion » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Amyw wrote: I was thinking maybe when pieces in a creamy sauce , maybe with some sherry in for a festive feel.

am i right in thinking that should have been quorn pieces? i would not be impressed if i was dished up with that for a christmas dinner - would you? honestly?

Postby Kacey » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Chickpea Roast

2 tins drained chickpeas
6oz Wholemeal Bread
4oz Chopped nuts - your choice
4oz Sliced mushrooms
1 chopped onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 small tin sweetcorn
Seasoning and spices - your choice
Handful of chopped herbs to match your spices
4 tbs stock - perhaps make 1 of them brandy?
Puff pastry

Whizz the chickpeas, bread and nuts in a processor
Saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms
Mix everything together to end up with a sausage meat consistency, wrap in the pastry and bake. Around gas mark 6 or the equivalent. for about 30 mins

Its a really easy recipe using store cupboard ingredients bit I can honestly say it's really, really good. Even better, if there's any left, it slice just as well on Boxing day to have with left overs.

I've roasted the chickpea mixture in a loaf tin without the pastry and that works well too.

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:56 pm

That chickpea recipe looks good :) I expect the mushrooms would add a bit of "chew", so if they are out, could roughly chopped sundried toms work instead?

Dried sliced apricots would work texturally, if fruit is not a no-no. Maybe with ginger, cumin, cinnamon and lemon juice to counter sweetness and add toasted flaked almonds, all typical of Turkish and Moroccan dishes.

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Amyw wrote:...[clip]...

I'm afraid I have to disagree Jeral about the Aunt Bessies sides . The potatoes egg I've tried have been awful unless they've changed the recipe recently .

That's surprising as most people are OK with the potato products, like roast, chips, croquettes and the YPs. I think there's a roast spud version in duck fat or something that non-veggies could prefer.

I can't say I know what potatoes eggs might be so perhaps they're an exception?

Postby Kacey » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:35 pm

I've made this quite a few times in the past and can't remember what I used. I'd have left out anything too spicy as it would have been when we had Christmas dinner with my Mom. I would say cumin, coriander and a pinch or two of cinnamon would work really well, with dried apricots and almonds, and a bit of fresh chopped mint for the herbs.

Postby Amyw » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:28 pm

jeral wrote:
Amyw wrote:...[clip]...

That's surprising as most people are OK with the potato products, like roast, chips, croquettes and the YPs. I think there's a roast spud version in duck fat or something that non-veggies could prefer.

I can't say I know what potatoes eggs might be so perhaps they're an exception?

I think that meant to say roast potatoes . My new tablet and predictive writing isn’t great ...

Scullion , me personally I’d be happy with quorn pieces in a sauce plus roast spuds and all the accompanying veg . Last year at Christmas , I ended up having nut roast but I did say I’d be more than happy with a few veggie sausages , or a vegetarian pie . All the trimmings make my Christmas lunch more than the centrepiece anyway , but then everyone is different

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 pm

I’ve never had frozen roast potatoes I’ve really liked, and I think I’ve had several brands
Which is odd because the frozen triple cooked chips are really good (not veggie though) and Morrison’s used to do some chilled potato wedges that were better than my homemade, I think something to do with the very thin very even coating of oil they achieved using factory equipment

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:35 pm

I seem to recall making a chestnut and butternut filo pie when vegan nephew was here.
Then I made sure all the sides were suitable, rather than double catering.

We had Christmas pud and I made a toffee and pear sponge pud for him.
It evaporated.
Think I posted the recipe before..

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:15 pm

There's also Glamorgan sausage rolls which are cheese and leek (no fake meat or mushrooms or carrots lol). Easy if using bought ready-rolled pastry, then made beforehand and briefly reheated (10-ish mins). Tasty and useful if fancy spices aren't particularly welcome.

Pear toffee sponge? Yes, "See, there, gone!" What's not to like? Need to be sure to make a lot of it...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:36 pm

Kacey wrote:I've made this quite a few times in the past and can't remember what I used. I'd have left out anything too spicy as it would have been when we had Christmas dinner with my Mom. I would say cumin, coriander and a pinch or two of cinnamon would work really well, with dried apricots and almonds, and a bit of fresh chopped mint for the herbs.

Kacey, I really think that would go down very well with DS, and making it in a loaf tin in advance would be ace. Just wondering what sort of sauce might go well, if I go the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, apricots and almonds route, which sounds delicious and just up our street. Maybe something with tahini and lemon, or pomegranate molasses ....

:yum :yum

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:36 pm

Good question KeenCook2. It'd have to be a sauce that either compliments or at least doesn't clash with other sides that otherwise would match so a tahini one could work.

Not Kacey of course, my thought would be a roasted red pepper one pooled on the plate rather than drizzled over, using the same herbs or flavourings as in the chickpea roast, and with veg stock and a touch of cream to slacken. A booze tang could work but dunno which booze or maybe a dsp apple cider vinegar?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:46 am

Bea, I have a delicious middle eastern sauce that I serve with spiced rubbed sort of food.
Like sumac lamb, or skewers.

It's a dip I prepare if going to buffet gatherings too, that is hoovered up with raw crudites. Both cumin and carom seeds work really well.

Almond yoghurt sauce
125g blanched almonds
2 tablesp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp ajwain/ carom seeds (or cumin as a sub)
a lot of sea salt to taste
large shallot pureed
200mil natural yoghurt

Toast each of the nuts and seeds individually, wiping out the pan.
Blitz to a puree, and stir into the yoghurt adding plenty of seasoning.
Fry the shallot till golden in evoo, drain, cool, and stir 3/4 into sauce, and top with the remainder.

Postby Kacey » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:15 pm

As far as a sauce is concerned, does it depend on the accompaniments? If the chickpea roast isn't too obviously Moroccan etc, then I've served it with a nice veggie gravy and all the usual sides. If you want to make a sauce specially for it, if you're going the Moroccan route, I'd be inclined to make a sauce with roasted red peppers and harissa, something along that line.

Tahini, lemon & garlic sauce goes really well on roast cauliflower, especially if you roast some onion wedges along with the cauli. That would be easy and would make a nice special side to go with the chickpea roast.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox