Register

Scotch egg - the substantial meal debate

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Scotch egg - the substantial meal debate

Postby aero280 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:33 am

The paper this morning made a reference to “Glasgow Salad”. Apparently this is a bag of chips with two pickled onions on top. :o

Postby liketocook » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:28 pm

aero280 wrote:The paper this morning made a reference to “Glasgow Salad”. Apparently this is a bag of chips with two pickled onions on top. :o

I saw that - that's not a Glasgow salad!!! A Glasgow salad is a munchie box usually containing pakora, onion rings, donner meat, chips, cheese , pizza slice, chicken tikka, various dips and sometimes with a nod to health a tiny portion of limp lettuce/tomato :lol: :lol:

Postby aero280 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:38 pm

That must be a relative of the “double” I saw listed on the chip shop menu in Kilmarnock a few years back. I was on a factory visit and the shop was between two of the factory sites.

Apparently the “double” was £1 extra on any fried item. It was just fried in batter and put on the hot rack. If you asked for the “double”, it was taken out, dipped in batter again and fried a second time!! :o

Apparently a “double deep fried pizza” was very popular...

Postby liketocook » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:30 pm

aero280 wrote:That must be a relative of the “double” I saw listed on the chip shop menu in Kilmarnock a few years back. I was on a factory visit and the shop was between two of the factory sites.

Apparently the “double” was £1 extra on any fried item. It was just fried in batter and put on the hot rack. If you asked for the “double”, it was taken out, dipped in batter again and fried a second time!! :o

Apparently a “double deep fried pizza” was very popular...

Sounds like a Killie thing (I used to work there) a "double" usually refers to breakfast roll where you can add an extra item to a filled roll e.g. adding a fried tattie scone to a bacon butty. Deep fried pizza is surprisingly good though I've never had it doubled! Did you get the chance to try a "Killie" pie? They are rather good-steak pie filling in a scotch pie pastry case. :yum

Postby aero280 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:49 pm

I never tried the Killie pie, we were guests of the company and stayed overnight in Glasgow for the duration of the inspection.

Postby liketocook » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:32 pm

aero280 wrote:I never tried the Killie pie, we were guests of the company and stayed overnight in Glasgow for the duration of the inspection.

That's a shame, if you are ever in that neck of the woods again they are definitely worth sampling. :yum

Postby scullion » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:34 pm

i had a scotch meat pie, from a chip shop in motherwell, when i was about ten - strange pastry.

on second thoughts it might have been montrose.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:05 am

Randall & Aubin on Brewer Street in Soho, back when they were a butcher's shop sold "Scotch mutton pies" in their deli annexe - they were small pies and the pastry was thin and and crisp, like the pastry on a pork pie but much thinner

Loved that shop, now a seafood restaurant, still called Randall & Aubin, would love to go

This is a recipe for the pies, no idea how good but it looks similar to the Soho version
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/scottish_ ... ch_Pie.htm

Postby aero280 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:36 am

There was a bakers in Manningtree, Essex that did really nice meat pies. I had to go to a site meeting in that area every week, which meant leaving London really early, so I had a coffee at home, and a meat pie in Manningtree for breakfast. There was a choice of a traditional round meat pipe, or the "Scotch" pipe, which indeed have a thin crisp pastry crust.

Postby scullion » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:43 am

yes, they're thin, hot water crust pastry. i can't remember them being that crispy - just a bit strange. didn't need to try another!

Postby aero280 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:11 am

There was a version of the Scotch pie in one area I have lived - can't remember which - which was a sort of open pie, it was topped with piped mashed potato rather than a crust. The potato was put on before the end of baking because it was browned.

Postby patpoyntz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 am

aero280 wrote:There was a version of the Scotch pie in one area I have lived - can't remember which - which was a sort of open pie, it was topped with piped mashed potato rather than a crust. The potato was put on before the end of baking because it was browned.

Called a ‘potato pie’ up here in the Highlands. Mince topped with mash, like a cottage pie in a pastry shell. Not my favourite, but they are very popular. My OH cannot go past the local bakers without buying one, or two!
Macaroni cheese pies are also popular.....

Postby liketocook » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Yes known as potato pies here too. I like the pastry in a scotch pie, less keen on the filling sometimes though. A decent ones lovely but they can be all grease and pepper. The case should be crispy though, sounds as though the one you had scully was under baked. A decent scotch pie squished in a well buttered roll with a splodge of brown sauce is rare treat for me. Mild chicken curry baked in a scotch pie case is a popular choice in the local baker shops.

Postby Busybee » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:17 pm

When we lived in Manchester a pie in a bread roll was known as a Wigan kebab!

BB

Postby scullion » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:40 pm

liketocook wrote:The case should be crispy though, sounds as though the one you had scully was under baked
the pastry wasn't soggy, it was brown and firm just not what i would describe as crispy - the filling may also have something to do with the avoidance of a second try.
you learn something new every day - it would never occur to me to put a pie in bread. is it a northern thing? didn't purplelove mention a baby's head, wasn't that a pie based thing?

ps. i wonder what she's doing now.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Yes, the pie in bread is a northern thing

Purps has been posting on FB sometimes,m they’ve been doing up a house, looks good

Postby smitch » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:16 pm

A babies head is a steak & kidney suet pudding.

I worked with someone from Wigan who loved a ‘pie barm’ but it isn’t really a thing in this corner of Greater Manchester.

Postby Pampy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Yes, I know snake and pig pudding as "baby's head" too! People from Wigan are often called pie-eaters,

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox