Register

Rabbit

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Rabbit

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Does anyone eat rabbit any more? I’m quite taken with this stifado recipe.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... the-recipe

And where do you get it if you live in the Metropolis other than Borough Market?

Re: Rabbit

Postby scullion » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:55 pm

mr mcgregor?

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Love rabbit, usually cooked with bacon in cider and cream in a casserole of to make a pie filling. We don’t eat it as much since OH ceased working at the farm shop ... we buy it from farm shops and country butchers or the market in Norwich city centre ... occasionally a visit to Bro will get the desired result :thumbsup

I have seen frozen rabbit in Chinese grocery stores and in Soho, and fresh rabbit in butchers in areas with several Chinese living there ... maybe that’s an idea.

There’s quite a difference between the wild rabbit usually only seen around harvest time, and farmed rabbit.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:14 pm

The place I most often see rabbit is on Italian or Greek menus

Not a fan of tame rabbit, like sweetened cotton wool, I used to be able to get wild rabbits which made a nice casserole

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:22 pm

We eat rabbit a few times a year. As with Suffs, it gets sourced from farm shops, FMs & country butchers. It's a bit cheaper in East Angular than here; we stock up when we go to Norfolk.

It used to be possible to buy diced rabbit meat from Sainsbury, but that was in the days when rabbits hung in butchers' windows. There are plenty of places selling it online of course.

I haven't seen farmed rabbit for yonks, The ones we get are all wild.

They tend to get casseroled in winter; stifado is a good choice :D . I braised one with herbs in the spring, which was nice, and made a sauce with the braising stock plus crème fraîche and tarragon (sorry Sue), the leftover sauce and meat shredded was lovely with pasta. In the summer, tandoori rabbit is great on the barbie. :thumbsup

I was looking at one in the freezer the other day and wondering when to cook it...

Postby Busybee » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:02 pm

As part of national game week our butcher had loads in this week, along with lots of other local game.

Surprisingly, as we live in the countryside and wage a war on them most years, I don’t eat it often. I think because it’s the one meat Dad wouldn’t eat, I think they pretty much lived on it during the war years.

We try to keep the rabbits out of the garden, especially the vegetable beds, but the little girl next door loves to see rabbits in the garden and they happily put food down for them. I’ve tried explaining that they will end up with a rat problem but they are new countryside dwellers - I’m sure they will figure it out eventually.

A casserole with cider and cream sounds a fitting autumnal dish.

BB

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pm

What food is the little girl putting out for the rabbits? Rats aren't usually interested in hay/lettuce/clover etc and that's what rabbits want most of.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tip about buying online. Do you know this company Suffs? Or anyone else?

https://www.wildmeat.co.uk/collections/wild-rabbit

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:10 pm

Pepper ... they're based not far from my old stamping ground and near to Bro and SIL ... I've not bought from them, but they have a good reputation ... I know of the the people involved and folk speak highly of them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:13 pm

Thanks for the recommendation!

Postby Seatallan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Made a rabbit pie very recently :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Busybee » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Suffs, she is putting down a sort of kibble, I don’t think it’s a rabbit food per se.

We had bird feeders up and even that attracted rats, as did another neighbours guinea pigs that were kept in an outhouse over winter. It’s a shame because I loved seeing all the birds, we have compromised and kept our garden more wildlife friendly over the winter whereas we would normally cut it back more. Left plenty of seed heads etc for the birds to feed on.

Rats are an issue here, they live in the railway embankment.

BB

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:12 pm

I think she’d be better off growing the right green stuff if she wants to attract rabbits to her garden, or the pelleted grass type of rabbit food. Kibble will attract rats ... if you get a rat infestation in the area they will prey on the litters of tiny rabbits in the burrows. :(

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:59 pm

I've bought once from the Wild Meat company, some sort of mixed game bird box iirc. There was some reason why I did it but I've forgotten what it was, (maybe some unusual game roast on offer perhaps) because there's no difficulty in buying game from the butcher down the hill or the farm up the hill.

Anyway, they were perfectly fine, the produce was good quality, turned up when they said and served us well. If I couldn't source game from hereabouts I'd use them again. Another good outfit is Radwinter Wild Game http://www.radwinterwildgame.com/

HTH

Postby miss mouse » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:43 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
And where do you get it if you live in the Metropolis other than Borough Market?

Borough Market is delivering to a 30 mile radius according to the flyer received last week if anyone wants more details.

Postby smitch » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Never mind, was only trying to be helpful
Last edited by smitch on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby miss mouse » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:05 pm

As far as I understand it, this is a new service, Borough Market Elves who will collect from different shops and free delivery. I thought some might be interested, clearly a waste of time.

Postby smitch » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:13 pm

miss mouse wrote:As far as I understand it, this is a new service, Borough Market Elves who will collect from different shops and free delivery. I thought some might be interested, clearly a waste of time.

Sorry I spoke. I’ve deleted my post as I don’t want to cause an issue for anyone. I’ve posted about it elsewhere on the board anyway.

Postby Hickybank » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:59 am

Best Rabbit I ever had was in Cyprus, stopped in a small village to eat, the recipe said oven baked Rabbit & that's what I got, the whole rabbit, minus the head. on a plate, nothing else, it was delicious

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:48 pm

smitch wrote:
miss mouse wrote:As far as I understand it, this is a new service, Borough Market Elves who will collect from different shops and free delivery. I thought some might be interested, clearly a waste of time.

Sorry I spoke. I’ve deleted my post as I don’t want to cause an issue for anyone. I’ve posted about it elsewhere on the board anyway.

I dont think you said anything untoward at all smitch , don’t worry about it :newhuggy

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox