Register

Snacks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Snacks

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:40 pm

We tend to have mini poppadums, too. Most of the supermarkets do them. We like kettle crisps - my favourites are salt & pepper; Mrs B's, cheese & onion. We used to buy the root veg crisps quite regularly, but we found they varied in quality by brand and we tired of them. I like chevda type mixes, that little bit of fruit & sweetness makes a pleasant contrast to the hot crunchy stuff, and some fennel seeds set it off nicely too. I'm also fond of kikos and wasabi peas. Down the pub (remember them?) I might be tempted with a packet of scratchings, usually to celebrate when my lot score a goal. However, these last three are a bit crunchy for Mrs B, who fears for her fillings. Oh, and habas fritas. We're too fond of cashews and pistachios for our own good.

Consequently the crispy snacks tend to get rationed so they don't become a staple and I try to organise them as occasional treats or a part of a meal with some proper food.

As for cheese, that might be a separate thread, but favourites here are mature cheddar/gouda or anything blue. Mrs B is more fond of brie than I am. We both like a truffled pecorino called Moliterno. There aren't many (any) sheep or cow cheeses we don't like, although one of has to avoid some of them of course.

The Badger keeps buying chocolate for Mrs B. She has taken to eating Freddos as they're smaller than the other bars.

Fruit tends to be used as afters rather than a snack. We're in the season of dates and satsumas.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:23 pm

I´m not a snacker, really However, if I´m a bit peckish late in the evening, I´ll go for peanut butter and marmite, or one of my chutneys, or pepper jelly, or something like that.
I brought back some "crisps" from Mexico - they were fun! There was one called "El Diablo" (the devil) and , Holy Moctezuma, they were HOT :shock: :shock: , even for a chile fanatic like me. I also uncovered a packet of "soy and Worcestershire Sauce" crisps - also from Mexico - when I cleaned out the kitchen cupboard a week or so ago. Loaded with chile, surprise, surprise!
When I order spices from ShopIndia, I usually pick up a few packets of Indian snacks as well. All sorts of different stuff, sometimes just spicy, most times, very hot!! :lol: :lol: Can´t remember the name, but there are some spiced chickpea flour discs which are absolutely divine.
I never return from the UK without a few packets of salt & Vinegar.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:34 pm

As I have no 'off' trigger whatsoever, I try not to have empty calorie snacks in the house. Crisps, chocolate, crackers .. you name it, I will eat it. At one time we had set meals with names - breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea, supper and I try and stick to those in my head. Elevenses and tea are usually only mouthfuls of things but I do rather like a cake or scone if I'm meeting someone for coffee or a cuppa and when I'm not on a strict diet something cakey in the afternoon (but I'm not very good at making cake and having just a small piece each day).

If having ordinary crisps I like plain ones best. My favourites are the puffed Hoola Hoops and Pop Chips. I love everything from the Off the Eaten Path range (made from rice. lentils etc) and had some of these the other day which I thought were delicious and wouldn't mind trying others in the range https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/ ... lsrc=aw.ds (it was a 40g pack from Waitrose). Funny because I really, really hate Doritos.

Otherwise, cheese and assorted crackers are always a winner, crudites or crackers loaded with hummus, Tahini or cream cheese. Sometimes a handful of raisins or a couple of dried figs or a controlled handful of mixed nuts. Sweet biscuits are always a treat too - most sorts will do. I do like fruit too.

I did a diet course with my local fitness studio and she advised to eat 6 small meals a day to keep blood sugar levels even. Several people tried this and took to controlled grazing instead of set mealtimes and found it suited them. It didn't suit me as it was tempting to have a bit more than recommended which resulted in eating all day :roll: . Suggestions for the lighter snacks were fruit, small pots of yogurt, crudites with hummus or avocado, hard boiled eggs, a handful of mixed nuts, oatcakes with cheese or peanut butter (fatal - I adore oatcakes!), hot chocolate, cubes of cheese and of course, fruit.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:50 pm

KKA

if you want screaming this is the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/2020-Paqui-Chip- ... 403&sr=8-2

There are videos on you tube. I swear these guys are nuts

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:06 pm

I can see scientifically it would be sensible to eat little and often but as you say Earthmaidsn, I think it would be a lot harder to regulate portion sizes and calories. I also think having so many mini meals, I'd find it harder to make sure my nutrition was balanced

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:41 pm

if you want screaming this is the way to go.

Hahahaha, Mark! A Carolina Reaper is a seriously hot chile pepper. One chip only? WOW - those things must be fierce.

Postby Suffs » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:42 pm

This may be of concern to the sweet toothed snackers amongst us https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... a87f85c260 :shock:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:34 am

IMO some of the best ones have been discontinued over the years anyway. Quite disappointing these days - and I agree with many of the sentiments.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:20 am

Do Quality Street count as snack?

I miss Hedgehog Crisps - I actually liked all the flavours

Postby Suffs » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:17 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Do Quality Street count as snack? ....

I suppose some folk might treat them as more of a full meal .... :?

Postby Amyw » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 pm

I do find quality street better than Roses . I’m very surprised Lindt truffles topped the Xmas chocolate list . I have a sweet tooth but I’ve never liked Lindt chocolate . Way too sweet and no real depth of flavour . Terrys chocolate orange always leaves me cold too .

I’m surprised Ferrero Rocher weren’t on the list . We tend to always get a box at Christmas

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:22 pm

I just don't think of sweeties as snacks! A Twix maybe, but not a caramel or a toffee

Postby scullion » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:51 pm

i think i'd swap half a dozen lindt chocolates for a whole tin/box of quality street.
the latter is way too full of the 'yeuky', sweet, cream filled ones and my fillings would hate me for the toffee pennies.
we've won a few boxes of them at pub quizzes, taken out the few i've wanted and passed the rest round the pub.

Postby MagicMarmite » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:17 pm

Cheese mainly!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox