Register

Snacks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Snacks

Postby Amyw » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:23 pm

We often talk about our meals here but never about our snacks ... unless I’m the only snacker? :tongueout

Quite often in the evening I’ll have a little something normally with a glass of wine , or if I’ve had a big lunch , I might just snack on something later ... some of my favourites

Apple slices with peanut butter

Salted popcorn when I’m trying to be good

Olives , I like the green ones with garlic cloves

Crisps wise , particular favourites are those little bags of salted pretzels , I do like a handful of ready salted , kettle chips and the like or salt and vinegar pop chips

Some really good extra mature cheddar on a couple of crackers always goes down well

Re: Snacks

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:39 pm

I also love snacks.

Peanut butter and apple is a great combo. Crisps wise, I like BBQ Pop Chips Walkers Bugles, Walkers Mix-Ups and Pringles. We also like cheapo supermarket salted tortilla chips and some Dutch spicy snacks that are a similar texture to prawn crackers.

I got some lovely gooey melty cookies from a kiosk in town earlier today. Vegan pick n mix is another favourite as is giant chilli corn.

No wonder I’m overweight :oops:

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:17 am

Aldi own label hula hoops every time :oops:

Postby Suelle » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:39 am

Chilli rice crackers, peanut butter on cream crackers, Sunbites Grainwaves - particularly the Thai sweet chilli flavour, Lentil waves - sweet chilli flavour again!

I started on baked savoury snacks, and those made with extruded grains and potato mash etc, to cut out calories, and now find ordinary deep fried crisps unbearably greasy.

I have a daily chocolate allowance too, but that's not a snack - it's an essential food stuff! :)
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:03 am

Don't do it very often as we generally have 3 meals a day, but if we've lunched well at the weekend, there might be a snack of cheese and biscuits or poppadums and pickles or tortilla/plantain chips and dips or crusty bread & hummus, maybe charcuterie & olives. With a glass or two, obviously...

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:33 am

Oh gosh I wish I hadn’t seen this thread! Hungry now!

I love M&S giant corn kikos. Or their chocolate pretzels.

Thick ridged potatoey ready salted crisps.

Lucques olives.

A slice of cured ham or salami.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 am

Pre Covid I hardly ever snacked, apart from the occasional biscuit at work, but have done more since March. In the first few months we had French style 'apero' (without the booze for me) most nights. Now maybe once or twice a week, if I am very hungry and dinner is an hour or two away.

I like:
Walkers Mango and lime popadoms. I obsessed about those at first.
Bombay mix - I really like the Howdah Snacks brand
Serious Pig Snacking cheese (a bit like parmesan biscuits) every now and again
Occasionally, olives - I have some garlic stuffed ones on the go at the moment
chilli rice puff things
cashews or pistachios - not had any for months, though.
I love (vegetarian) prawn crackers. Not had those for ages either.
I've been eating those stuffed peppadew things this week. (Only one of two - a bit substantial for a pre-dinner snack.)

I have also been having two cream crackers with Saint Agur for lunch some days.

In France I buy ketchup flavoured things (Monster munch?) Michel et Augustin or L'Onlay l'Abbaye little cheese biscuits of various types, little wafery balls stuffed with cheese (various brands), Apérivrais little cheese things with sprinkles that you eat on sticks - I think you can get them here too - pizza flavoured Bouton D'Or biscuity things. I am really really missing France...

Husband likes crisps and grissini. I am not such a fan of either.

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:59 am

I like crisps and salted nuts to snack on. Also Cheesies, which I became addicted to after someone on here commented on them (can't remember who). I've had to force myself to stop eating them though, as they are quite expensive and once I've opened a pack, it gets eaten - no saving any for another time!

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:27 am

Since lockdown I do enjoy Brie and red grapes a couple of times a week, in the mid afternoon normally. Other snacks I’ve enjoyed before and after lockdown are Jacobs salt and vinegar crackers, quavers, prawn crackers (Sainsbury’s own) but rarely eat them as I prefer a biscuit with a cuppa. I eat a fair bit of fruit but I don’t regard that as a snack although it probably counts.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:58 pm

I love tortilla chips and guacamole, but am always tempted to eat so much that I try to avoid it when it's just us!
I also adore smoked salmon on thin buttered, wholemeal bread with black pepper and a squeeze of lemon. If given the chance, I can snaffle up a whole plate of it - enough for several people :lol:
It always seems to taste better when someone else has made it and is offering it round :lol:

Often tempted by cheese - brie, St Agur, farmhouse cheddar, goat's cheese log - on water biscuits or cream crackers, or posh biscuits, (with butter), while waiting for OH to cook supper, when he is. Jacobs seeded, and salt and pepper flatbreads are nice. Just (re)discovered sesame seed Ryvita having had lots of the Tesco or Lidl ones in the past. Actually, I love virtually any sort of cracker, and another fave is plain McVitie's digestives with brie or blue cheese (and butter). I really don't like own brand digestives, chocolate or plain. I'm ok with own brand Rich Tea, also nice with brie.

Carrot sticks, apple slices. OH has apple slices with peanut butter - is having some now as I write this!

And of course, when there's cake in the house ....

My problem is I find it very hard to stop, once I start. Last year I was seriously underweight so I packed in cashew nuts at every opportunity but now I'm back to normal, usual rules apply :lol:

Oh dear, I could go on and on, dangerous thread Amyw!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:05 pm

i try not to to snack, don't need the calories - except where the snack is a replacement for a meal, after a big lunch an evening nibble of thin oatcakes with cheese or peanut butter perhaps or hummus and crudités and probably oatcakes or tortilla chips or pita chips if I can get them. Cheese and an apple or pear cut into slices also happens, apple +PB doesn't really appeal but I'll try it

However there is a box of snacks in the kitchen, and it seems to need replenishing from time to time.

I'm not a huge fan of crisps apart from plain salted or those mixed root veg crisps and I actively dislike most of the msg dusted polystyrene type of things like Quavers and Wotsits and even their more upmarket cousins. Can't bear either the smell or the texture of popcorn

So the snack box contains a lot of Cofresh packets - London Mix, Bombay Mix, Gujerati Mix etc, one of the great bargains I think, so cheap and as they are made form pulses and nuts I convince myself they have nutritional content. I also buy value/economy tortilla chips, much nicer than the more expensive ones, thinner and no weird flavourings. And roasted salted nuts, but I have to be careful as I can just eat my way through a ridiculous amount and give myself tummy ache (not allergic, just indigestion)

herbidacious wrote:In the first few months we had French style 'apero' (without the booze for me) most nights. Now maybe once or twice a week, if I am very hungry and dinner is an hour or two away.

I found myself doing that too, then it dawned on me that I as I'm at home all afternoon I can get dinner prepped early and eat it as soon as I am hungry enough, cutting out the apero

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Pampy wrote:I like crisps and salted nuts to snack on. Also Cheesies, which I became addicted to after someone on here commented on them (can't remember who). I've had to force myself to stop eating them though, as they are quite expensive and once I've opened a pack, it gets eaten - no saving any for another time!

I have certainly mentioned them a few times. I see they have some new new types too now. Can you get them in supermarkets yet? Serious PIg are pretty much the same thing.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:13 pm

I have not tried Gujurati mix. YOu van get big bags of these thigns from the 'ethnic' section in Sainsbury's but unfortuately I have developed a taste for more expensive ones. They are actually quite filling. (Perhaps not surprisingly.)

I made the mistake of buying some M&S shortbread. Now that is lethal.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:18 pm

I used to be able to buy from Wholefoods Market some New York Pita Chips

They were quite expensive, but the best possible thing for dipping in hummus etc in my view - they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth, I can make my own, but not as nice, you need an industiral oven to get the texture spot on I think

Any sightings of good plain pita chips? The deli has flavoured ones, but I prefer to taste the dip

Postby smitch » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:42 pm

M&S do salted pita chips.

I liked the New York ones too, I used to get them from Ocado but not seen them for ages.

Postby Amyw » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:44 pm

The salted pita chips are very nice ! The poppadom mention had also reminded me that M&S do bags of mini poppadoms which can disappear far too quickly .

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:46 pm

smitch wrote:M&S do salted pita chips.

I liked the New York ones too, I used to get them from Ocado but not seen them for ages.

:hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
There's an M&S Food Hall opening about 400 m from here very soon (or at least I think that's what is going in that building)

I might walk down to Dalston & get some anyway

I generally avoid M&S food so hadn't seen them

Postby Busybee » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:08 pm

I should really stay away from this thread..........I need no further encouragement!

Apart from olives and smoked salmon, I don’t think I’ve met a snack I don’t like.

Savoury is my downfall. A cracker with a sliver of old Amsterdam cheese is probably my favourite, although I also really like nuts of any persuasion.

BB

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:18 pm

So you're the guilty one, Herbi! :lol: :lol:
Holland and Barrett sell the small packets of Cheesies.

I totally forgot to put cheese on my snack list even though it's probably what I snack on most! Any will do as long as it isn't goat's cheese. I particularly like Old Amsterdam and Booth's do a very passable Lancashire. Silton, both white and blue, Roquefort, mousetrap cheddar...I could go on!

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:44 pm

No good keeping snacks in this house ... we have no willpower in the evenings ... if we want snacks other than sourdough toast and marmalade or marmite OH has to go down the road to Wrose ... and as we're trying to avoid too many supermarket visits snacks are very limited in this house ... otherwise we'd be eating crackers and St Agur or some other cheese, pickles, pate, Lightly Salted Kettle crisps, little Thai crackery things, grapes, brie, mango, ....and coconut and lime ice cream. Occasionally nowadays OH does a shop and smuggles in and hides a treat ... yesterday evening he magically produced two Snickers bars.

But buying snacks to keep in the house and eat a few of ... not a good idea ... the other week I bought two bars of Bournville to use at Christmas for Chocolate Mousse ........................ :oops: ....................... I shall have to buy some more :roll: and I'm not even keen on chocolate ... it's OH who has the sweet tooth ... :P

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox