Register

christmas present gadgets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: christmas present gadgets

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm

I have a Kenwood too. 20 years old so lots of life left in it I hope.

Kitchenaid are more aesthetically pleasing (nice retro look) but are they a style over substance item?

I'm sure I could think of plenty of gadgets I'd like to play with but I'd need an extension built to house them first :lol: .

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:21 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Kitchenaid are more aesthetically pleasing (nice retro look) but are they a style over substance item?

Well, having said I’d like one, I know someone who is currently in dispute with KitchenAid UK because a small but vital component failed shortly before its second birthday. They took it in for repair months ago and she still doesn’t have it back in working order - they’ve actually damaged another major component and can’t get a spare if I understood correctly

I did a bit of Googling and the food processor that would suit me seems to be the Kenwood, dry expensive but does everything well according to reviews

Postby scullion » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:42 pm

herbidacious wrote:What would you do with an alembic, Scully?

i fancy a little rectifying would be on the cards.

Stokey Sue wrote:I did a bit of Googling and the food processor that would suit me seems to be the Kenwood, dry expensive but does everything well according to reviews

i've had a kenwood pro-chef for quite a few years now. it gets a lot of use and is the most long lasting of all the ones i've had. if they are still of the same quality i would recommend it.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:51 pm

I rate my basic Braun food processor. The first one was the best one I had. Number two less good - annoying striated bowl which may have helped processing but made it wasteful as hard to get everythign out even iwth a silicone spatula. (These are one of my favourite kitchen tools.) It's in France. Probably died from damp.
KichenAid - all too easy to break the plastic as it's awkward to attach the lid to the bowl and indeed get the whole think to click into place to make the motor work. It only has 3 settings - on, off or pulse. Which I suppose is ok.
My Kenwood Chef came with a food processor attachment (almost as big as it!) I have never used it. (I didn't realize it was coming with it when I bought it - sale in Currys). I do use the blender.
If I can, I now use one of my smaller chopping gadgets, such as a Barmix type thing (also has a separate chopping attachment with bowl) or my mini chopper or spice grinder, rather than use the Kitchenaid.
Definitely form over function as far as I am concerned, for the food processor, at least.

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:27 pm

scullion wrote:
herbidacious wrote:What would you do with an alembic, Scully?

i fancy a little rectifying would be on the cards.
...[clip]...

Sneaky so close but no cigar as I read about that last night. Maybe that's why monks brew things - patience of a saint.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Had another look at the Kenwood processor
Off my list, all the PR says extra wide feed tube and 4 slicing/shredding discs!!!

When you actually watch the video, that turns out to include just 2 slicers, thin and ultra thin, so not much point having the wide feed tube unless you live on cucumber sandwiches and dauphinois potatoes.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:42 pm

If I'm honest, the only reason I want the KitchenAid is for the dough hook and nice bowl. All those TV chefs who effortlessly put their dough into the bowl and hey presto! I'd like a mincer too. I had one for years, I doubt I'd use one much now and if I could make dough easily I would be even fatter ...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Kenwood Chef has a dough hook :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 pm

I know! Anything would be nice!

Postby scullion » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Had another look at the Kenwood processor
Off my list, all the PR says extra wide feed tube and 4 slicing/shredding discs!!!

When you actually watch the video, that turns out to include just 2 slicers, thin and ultra thin, so not much point having the wide feed tube unless you live on cucumber sandwiches and dauphinois potatoes.

maybe they count the fact that you turn them over from the grating side to get the slicing side, as four discs...
was the vid for the same model as the pr?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:41 pm

The video and the blurb were on the same page specifically for that model - in fact the video is slightly misleading as looking at the spares the slicing plates are reversible, but there are only 2, the other 2 are the chipper and the rasper, neither of which I'd use
https://www.espares.co.uk/search/mo1557 ... wood/fp910

Of course (small rant alert) if anyone wrote proper descriptions instead of winging it then the so-called "product details" would list the thicknesses of the slices you can make, but as this would be 1) sensible and 2) help customers make informed choices it will never happen

Postby Busybee » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:59 pm

Sue, Magimix specify slicing width on their discs etc.and 8n their product specifications.

I use mine weekly and have been happy with it, have had it for about 7/8 years. It has a 30 year guarantee on the motor.

But I would still like a kitchen aid mixer, I’m sure it’s probably style over substance.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:18 pm

The ancient one that's dying is a Magimix, and while it's been good, I'd ideally like to be able to slice thicker, preferably in the large bowl not in a smaller one; I have grown to hate the ridiculous 3 bowl stack and that the large bowl is not water tight, unlike almost every other processor on the market

My previous processor was a cheapish Braun, which lasted years and had an adjustable slicer, which I preferred. Asfar as I can see the only major maker that has an adjustable blade is Sage by Heston, so that may well be what I end up with, though they seem to have reduced the maximum thickness (perhaps the blade wobbled?)

I know other people don't use the slicing attachment as much, but although I have pretty good knife skills, my eyesight makes cutting uniform slices a laborious and frustrating task, and rules out using a mandolinem and I'd really like a processor that was good at slicing

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Mine is ancient but when I discovered I could slice onions for recipes which needed a lot I was hooked and would always want a decent slicer if I had to replace it.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:46 pm

We've got a Kenwood Prospero, which also came with bits and pieces I wasn't expecting. This includes a liquidiser I don't use and a food processor I do. It only does 2 thicknesses of slice though.

There's also a citrus juicer I might never have used.

I would have had a Kenwood Chef with bits but I felt we couldn't spare the space. The Prospero is smaller and seems less robust but seems to cope with what we want.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:53 pm

I've got a citrus juicer - it was a freebie for some reason, I had a vouvher for 2 extra bits so I had that and the 6mm slicer, It works very well, but I've used it only a few times The most useless thing is the rasper/Parmesan grater, which produces Parmesan dust, a really fine grater would have been more to the point

I reckon I can wait until after John Lewis reopens and I can look at things properly

Postby Busybee » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Sue, I’m with you on the three bowl stack! I tend to just use the large bowl. I also use the slicer quite a bit, a recipe for onion soup uses 1.2kg of onions, the slicer makes short shrift of such jobs, also ideal for the spuds on top of a Lancashire hotpot or dauphinois.

In fact, I probably use the slicer and grater attachments the most.

BB

Postby Seatallan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:04 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:I have a Kenwood too. 20 years old so lots of life left in it I hope.

Kitchenaid are more aesthetically pleasing (nice retro look) but are they a style over substance item?

I'm sure I could think of plenty of gadgets I'd like to play with but I'd need an extension built to house them first :lol: .

Snap re the Kenwood. Ours was a wedding present, so will be 25 years old come next April. It's still going strong. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I know! Anything would be nice!

Black Friday sale?!

I got mine for a bargain price but it was about three years ago.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
There's also a citrus juicer I might never have used.

Oh yes. I forgot mine came with one too. But I have a separate one anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox