Register

christmas present gadgets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

christmas present gadgets

Postby scullion » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:52 pm

after musing on the unused coconut reamer it occurred to me that there are other kitchen/ food related gadgets that i might want.
so, up to five, big or small, useful or frivolous (currently available so excluding the food machine from 'red dwarf') what would you chose to receive for christmas?
i would choose-
a pasteuriser
an alembic (shhhh)
a solar food dehydrator
a kitchenaid in candy apple red.
and one of those fruit presses that can double up as a cheese press - like this.

Re: christmas present gadgets

Postby Busybee » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:06 pm

A kitchen aid food mixer in red.

A kitchen aid food mixer in red

A kitchen aid food mixer in red...........you get the gist.

BB

Postby mistakened » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:08 pm

A Kitchen Aid food mixer in any colour

Postby Seatallan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:12 pm

A sausage maker
A home-smoker
A jelly strainer stand (currently I use two chairs)
A slow cooker

:thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:36 pm

An Instant Pot as my pressure cooker will retire when the current set of gaskets and vents perish, they aren't making them any more (thing's only 45 years old, a 70 year old design)

I'd like a Kitchen Aid, not fussed about colour but would like the pasta rolling attachment

A proper heavy tawa or girdle

A new espresso machine

There must be some that don't require a mortgage! :o

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm

A Kitchen Aid food mixer with all attachments. There are 30 colours ... :?
A fabulous sharp knife
An old-fashioned flour sifter with a handle
A hot cupboard suitable for warming plates and proving dough
A cake icing turntable

Postby cherrytree » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Seatollen, whatever you do, don’t get the Kilner jelly bag kit. I even did a review on Amazon. In the end I got one from the kitchen shop in town. It was cheaper than the nightmare Kilner onev and much more stable.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:03 pm

I already have a basic Instant Pot, but they keep bringing out ones that do more and more ... I think there is a smaller one that also does Sous Vide .. .. Not sure I want the 'Crisp', but could be converted ;)

Other things I really want, but not in any way cooking/baking related is a shoe horn, a back scratcher and a long tailed comb ( I had 2 of these, but one has mysteriously disappeared and I like to keep one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom ...

Postby Seatallan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 pm

cherrytree wrote:Seatollen, whatever you do, don’t get the Kilner jelly bag kit. I even did a review on Amazon. In the end I got one from the kitchen shop in town. It was cheaper than the nightmare Kilner onev and much more stable.

Thanks for the tip cherrytree! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suelle » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Apart from a new kitchen, which is somewhere on the horizon, the only gadget I'd like is a microplane box grater.

My children both use an electric rice cooker, and really like how it works for them, so it's something that I might contemplate, although I'm not sure it's something I need, as I'm happy with my rice-cooking abilities.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:18 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:... a shoe horn......

You might like to find a long handled one :) Might even double as a back scratcher ;)

The title doesn't actually say kitchen, so I've just bought myself a decent but smallish table vice - at last given the number of times I've bemoaned not having one.

A pan lid holder grid would be good, but glass lids are heavy and would probably pull a cupboard door down, so something like that but not that...

A "someone" who could superglue the daft broken plastic tabs on the lid of my big food processor, oh, and like everyone wants world peace, to paint it red ;)

An idiot-proof mandolin that doesn't come with a supply of blue plasters :mrgreen:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:24 pm

jeral wrote:An idiot-proof mandolin that doesn't come with a supply of blue plasters :mrgreen:

I'll take one of them please!
After my pressure cooker and my espresso machine, the next thing in line for replacement is probably my food processor, and I'm looking out for on ethat slices well, as I use my current one a lot for slicing

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Mrs B won't let me have a mandoline, for fear of blood stains all over the kitchen.

Our bread maker doesn't owe us anything, it has made a couple of thousand loaves, maybe three. The plastic lid is crumbling and the pan benefits from oiling before use as the non-stick finish has worn away in several places. A new one would be good.

Maybe a fancy fermenting crock.

Mind you, the thing we need at the moment is a new element for the small oven. The inner loop doesn't work. I could still grill a string of sausages but only if I arranged them around the outside of the pan. :D

Postby Wic » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:44 pm

If it helps, Sue, I have a Kitchenaid food processor. It’s seriously heavy, to me it feels underpowered and, although it slices well, that’s it’s only virtue. I got it to replace a very old, much cheaper Philips one, and was really looking forward to using it, but the old one knocked spots of the Kitchenaid.

The Kitchenaid food mixers are rather flash-looking, but I have a Kenwood and wouldn’t swap it for the world.

As to gadgets, well, I’d like ... actually, I’ll have to think about that for a bit longer!

Postby Suffs » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:12 pm

Patsy Hotter do long handled shoe horns :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:58 pm

A cook.

A butler.

A housemaid.

Victorian gadgets obviously.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:24 pm

A cook.

A butler.

A housemaid.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that´s what I was going to put!!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:43 pm

I love my Kenwood Chef. My Kitchenaid food processor, I am not happy with so has put me off the brand.

What would you do with an alembic, Scully?

I don't seriously covet any gadgets. This feels like a really weird thing to say, for me, but I have a lot (and many are rarely unused, which is why I have stopped allowing myself to look at new ones.)

That said, tempted by a sandwich toaster with removable, dishwashable plates, and possibly a waffle option... And I might well get one. They are not expensive. But I shouldn't.
ok maybe solar oven.
if I had room, and a nice kitchen, maybe something like this (but not this exact one)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1075358499.html
or this
https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/bo ... lsrc=aw.ds
But more because they look like a bit of chemistry lab kit than for any other reason.

Or, more usefully than any of the above, I'd be really happy with just a new set of knives... (or if someone sharpened mine for me.)

edit: I'd quite like a teapot. I am sure we must have one somewhere, though...
and a set of pyrex casseroles to replace the ones husband smashed earlier this year... :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 am

I suspect Scullion is either taking up alchemy or planning on creating an original eau de vie de Cornouaille, which amounts to much the same thing

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:24 am

I love my Kenwood too. Got it in 1974 and had it brilliantly refurbished for its 40th birthday.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox