Register

christmas present gadgets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: christmas present gadgets

Postby herbidacious » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:34 pm

My mother has a 55 (?) year old one. Works fine but smells a bit. Needs a service, I guess. She was going to give it to me then said I couldn't have it because I already had too much stuff :o So I bought a nice , non-smelly shiny new one! It was about £200, 3-4 years ago, I think. Bought it with some of that year's Christmas bonus.
She'd let me have hers now, of course, but I don't need it. Unless I gake it to France.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:47 pm

Hello, OH and I saw something we want to get ourselves for Christmas, so would appreciate your opinion as to what it is! On Masterchef this week they used a rather neat looking blender to make their uncooked Romesco sauce as part of Marcus' skills test with scallops.

We had no idea what it is, so if anyone can identify it for us, please do!

It may be too small to be of any use but we'd love to know what it is!

Thank you!

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:24 pm

There are websites that identify what people wear in various tv shows - where they got their clothes from... and where you can get the same. You'd think there'd be the same with kitchen gadgets on cookery shows...

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:48 pm

jeral wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:... a shoe horn......

You might like to find a long handled one :) Might even double as a back scratcher ;)

While looking for something else the other day, I found 2 shoe-horns ... a small one and the long handled one that was lost :bounce: I don't think that would double as a back scratcher though .. :(

Postby scullion » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:19 pm

i'm looking for a decent potato ricer for our son. i'm giving up on the reviews from amazon as they're often for something obviously not a potato ricer, the pics are generic for different brands and the prices, for those that look exactly the same, are way different - which doesn't do much for my faith in any of them.
mine came from sainsburys, years ago, looks as good as new and works a treat. it has no branding on it but looks like the kitchencraft one.
anyone got any recommendations for a decent sturdy one that won't break on second use?
otherwise i may just go for the same and hope for the best!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Hmm - my potato ricer came from a Tchibo coffee shop when they did centre aisle weekly bargains, I like it better than a couple of others I have used, all stainless steel with 3 interchangeable plates, which as previously discussed on this thread is handy for making spaetzli and sev

This is probably the most similar currently available and has good reviews
https://www.amazon.co.uk/nuoshen-Potato ... JH1192FN6K

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Just been out to check my ricer. It's stainless steel too, without interchangeable plates. Works a treat, would recommend it to anyone. Unfortunately it too is unbranded :roll: Can't remember where I got it, possibly Fishpools when they had a kitchenware section.

ETA - looking on Amazon, the Kitchencraft one looks very much like the one I've got.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:57 pm

PS single portion of almost instant perfect mash
Microwave a baking spud, or even better bake it or use the baked potato setting on a combi oven, but plain microwaves still give a good result
Cut in half horizontally
Squish each half, cut side down, through a ricer
Add seasonings and other stuff to taste
Yum

Postby jeral » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:03 pm

scullion, I have a rice like this that's lasted years, although a different brand. This Oxo one has a lifetime guarantee and Lakeland are good with returns. The only thing is that some say theirs have interchangeable hole-size plates, which mine and this don't.
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/13489/OXO-Go ... tato-Ricer

Edit: This looks like the Nuoshen Stokey Sue linked, except £10 dearer :? ?

PatsyMFagan, make do and mend? If you have a yard of flat elastic or cord chucking about somewhere, hold it at one end, drop it under T-shirt, hold other end as well and pull back and forth like a backwash strap.

Or how about this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/7663675 ... gKCbvD_BwE
Or a couple of quid plastic one ;)

Postby Busybee » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Mines an Oxo one, sturdy and does the job. I got it as a Christmas present probably about ten years ago, still going strong.

BB

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:33 pm

jeral wrote:PatsyMFagan, make do and mend? If you have a yard of flat elastic or cord chucking about somewhere, hold it at one end, drop it under T-shirt, hold other end as well and pull back and forth like a backwash strap.

thanks Jera ... actually I have a cheapy back scrubber that should do the job .. If only I can remember that I have it somewhere upstairs :oops: ;)

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Not foodie so please excuse, but I bought one of these for my son years ago and he still says it’s one of the best presents he’s ever been given https://urbangifts.com/products/pickmas ... 20Pot%20MM

So if you know a guitarist or ukelele player it’s a great stocking filler 8-)

Postby scullion » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:32 am

i went for the kitchencraft one in the end - that looked like mine - and a skimming spoon thing for lifting the sev once he's made them with the ricer (which may also get used for potatoes).
i bought myself a skimmer at the same time.

i used to cut plectrums (plectra - take your pick ... please don't groan like that!) out of old bank/supermarket cards when the kids were taking guitar lessons - saved a fortune.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:32 am

I keep an old plastic card next to the sink to use as a disposable, non-scratch, scraper, never learned to play the guitar properly

Postby Suffs » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:42 pm

Yes Scully ... I have to collect plastic cards etc for DS ... it’s amazing the bands you on tv see who may be playing with my old Garden Centre loyalty card :lol:

Postby Kacey » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:10 pm

I have this potato ricer and its brilliant https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chefn-FreshFor ... 117&sr=8-4 can thoroughly recommend it.

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:02 pm

That's very much like the one I have - it's very good.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox