Register

Almond butter substitute

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Almond butter substitute

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:07 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Badger's Mate wrote:There is always a jar and a spare of peanut butter, tahini (and for that matter Rashi & Dibis), in the cupboard.

Rashi and Dibis :? have I missed something :?:

Me too :?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:57 pm

If the recipe is a French/Indian fusion dish, I´d just use flaked almonds; soak them in hot water for about 20-30 minutes, then blitz them until smooth.
Substituting peanut butter would give the wrong flavour, I´m sure, and using almond essence I think would be wrong because the "butter" is for texture, not for flavour.
I regularly make Indian dishes (usually from Mughlai cuisine) which ask for cashew nuts. The cashews are soaked and then blitzed, to add a wonderful silky texture to the sauce which, incidentally, usually involves cream or yoghurt. Therefore you could, conceivably, sub cashew nuts.

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 pm

Rashi and Dibis - date and sesame spread https://www.facebook.com/dibisandrashi/

Postby scullion » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:23 pm

i linked to a recipe of the original spread/dip a few posts back. looks pretty simple to make at home.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:29 pm

scullion wrote:i linked to a recipe of the original spread/dip a few posts back. looks pretty simple to make at home.

I linked to the chicken recipe a few posts earlier but it seems people prefer to guess

Not sure about that spread. - I’ve had date syrup/molasses and never really though it tasted enough of dates to be interesting

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Agree with KDKA about nut pastes in Asian dishes - cashews or any mild tasting nut paste would work. I have several Indian dishes that add nut pastes for texture. One recipe uses raw candlenuts and recommends macadamias as a substitute but I use cashews.

However. Looking at the recipe from a highly flavour-nuanced food writer :D the roasted almond flavour is important - European rather than Asian. I'd roast about 50g almonds and blitz them to a paste. Or in a pinch use carefully toasted ground almonds and likewise blitz to a paste.

Cherrytree thx for the book title - probably long past making the dish but we tried!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Rashi & Dibis, as Scully has checked out, is a mixture of tahini and date molasses. It can also be blended with walnuts, or whole sesame seeds. It ends up like a sweet nutty spread.

Here's some that someone made earlier :D

https://www.terra-rossa.com/extra-virgi ... 030720.pdf

Postby cherrytree » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

I have to eat humble pie very quickly. We went to pay the paper bill this morning and called at Lidl .There, on the shelf was some almond butter. So of course I bought some and will be using it later on today. So, thank you all so much. This is what a good food board should be all about.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:58 pm

How did it turn out? Recipe looks really interesting.

Postby cherrytree » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 am

It was quite delicious. Extremely easy too. There was definitely an almondy texture but the almond butter thickened it very well. It will definitely go into my repertoire.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 am

Good to know it worked well - I like the look of it (thanks Sue for posting a similar recipe). How fortunate you found Almond butter!

We also learned about Rashi & Dibis too which sounds a wonderful ingredient if it gets beyond the spoon before being tried!

Good thread.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am

Rashi & Dibis is quite dangerous... :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:thanks Sue for posting a similar recipe

It’s the recipe from Fiona Beckett’s book

Postby Renee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 am

I made cashew nut butter successfully a few years ago, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make almond butter.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox