Register

discount stores?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: discount stores?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:11 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:I much prefered both stores when they sold unfamiliar items and brands, usually foreign. They had by far the best Christmas biscuits, stollen etc!

Agree
The Christmas stuff is what they have retained however, I am virtuously ignoring a pack of Lidl luxury stollen bites sitting in the kitchen :?
Haven’t found my favourite Nuremberg bratwurst in any of the 3 local Lidl for ages

Aldi is not far, but always seems a bit of a rek, though it’s easy enough on the Overground and it’s good for basic stuff and booze

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:13 pm

jeral wrote:Prices in Aldi and Lidl aren't that much cheaper now, although given how their market share has grown I imagine they like the free marketing of being described as discounters.

They are still considerably cheaper for some items - free range chicken being a good example. Wines and spirits are good too.

Postby mistakened » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 pm

We have a chain of true discount stores here in Cyprus, Smart Shop. They only sell dry goods, mostly branded but you have to be prepared to have your floor cleaner labelled in Serbo Croat or Thai script. They also sell some branded oriental ingredients at non inflated prices. They also have very helpful assistants.

Moira

Postby cherrytree » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:06 pm

No, Booths is in Keswick, the others on Cockermouth. If I wanted to go to Tesco or Morrison’s that’s 24 miles in the other direction. I don’t mind, and I usually see somebody I know wherever I go which is nice. I can truthfully say that in the 20 or so years that Sainsbury’s came I have always seen somebody I know. It’s lovely.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:02 pm

I’ve met our GP, the consultant gynaecologist

Awkward! :lol:
I got Tony's soundbar for Christmas from aldi for £30. I was going to buy a TV, but a woman in front of me grabbed the last one.
Our house is peppered with envious buys - heated dryer anyone?
But I cannot fall in love with all of their offerings. Tinned tomatoes that were more water, and a meat purchase that we didn't want to eat, and has put Tony off wanting edibles from there.

So it will never be on my main place to go shopping - even though it's had a make-over better than our local Waitrose.
It looks like Wholefoods now.

I did however love Booths when we visited one time.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:18 pm

cherrytree wrote:No, Booths is in Keswick, the others on Cockermouth. If I wanted to go to Tesco or Morrison’s that’s 24 miles in the other direction. I don’t mind, and I usually see somebody I know wherever I go which is nice. I can truthfully say that in the 20 or so years that Sainsbury’s came I have always seen somebody I know. It’s lovely.

And here I am thinking that a 7 mile drive to Lidl (admittedly in London traffic ...) is too far to make it worth it :oops:

Postby cherrytree » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:27 pm

I know that this is a one off in this thread but here is an example of how life can be in a fairly untypical rural county.
At present there is a consultant led maternity unit in Whitehaven in the most rural district hospital in England.
There is an ongoing proposal to close it and send mothers to Carlisle. In some cases that would mean a nearly 60 mile trip on a single carriageway A road to Carlisle.
If this was proposed in Sutton where I came from , this would be the equivalent of travelling to Brighton . And not behind many tractors either!
Distance is very different in so many parts of the UK. Now, back to Aldi. It’s luxury Christmas crackers tomorrow !

Postby cherrytree » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm

Sorry, I meant typical.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 pm

That really would be awful, cherrytree. I hope it doesn't happen.
My first baby arrived within an hour of me arriving at Queen Charlotte's which was about a 10 minute drive from Acton, where we lived at the time. My second was even quicker - less than half an hour after getting to hospital! I don't think I'd have made it even to somewhere like St Mary's, let alone 60 odd miles on single carriageway roads behind tractors etc.
Mind you, they've since moved Queen Charlotte's to the Hammersmith Hospital and sold off the site and nurses' home for luxury flats so I don't know what woud happen now!!

Back to discount stores! My first encounter with Aldi was in Germany when I was a student at Tuebingen University and the 6 or so of us on my kitchen corridor used to club together and do a communal meal. It was an eye-opener for me! I couldn't believe the prices.
One of my friends recently used Aldi's wine delivery service and was incredibly pleased with what she got. It was on the recommendation of one of her friends who is pretty knowledgeable about wine.

When My Supermarket was running it was very useful being able to check Lidl's prices against the others, as I recall, Aldi wasn't included? Or maybe I never looked at Aldi because the nearest one is in Hounslow and I used not to go there.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox