Register

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 3

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby Seatallan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Farmer neighbour reported to be doing well. Thankfully, from what I understand, injuries are not serious. I think the rapid response was mainly because he has a history of heart issues and his symptoms initially indicated cardiac event. I think in the end he was flown to Newcastle rather than Carlisle. it certainly gave us villagers plenty to talk about on village news FB page!! I shall probably take a 'get well' card over to deliver to his wife later.

Must admit I always give the local cows a wide berth when on any of my 'off piste' runs....
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Phew, what a relief, Uschi ...
Herbi :newhuggy Try to have a peaceful day.

Hmm, deciding how much "cleaning" to do of the upstairs/boys' room before DS1 comes back on Friday for a few days. He was the last one in it, so I'm disinclined to do too much.
On the other hand, there's no carpet and the dust has built up horribly since July, both on the stairs going up and on the floor ....
OH says the shower needs to have some mould treatment as well.

One of the velux blinds needs to be replaced as well and I persuaded OH to try to book our go-to handyperson instead of swearing and cussing and doing it himself. It would probably take him all day instead of half an hour! Fingers crossed he will be able to come before the end of the week. We have a list of other jobs too as if he treks over from SE London it means we pay him for a day, pretty much however many jobs he does!
We inherited him with the house and he knows all its eccentriities so have continued to use him, even though he comes from the other side of London. Unless he needs his van he usually comes on his motorbike which can be a lot quicker in the traffic.

I made a vat of carrot, sweet potato and coconut soup for lunch yesterday so that's today's lunch sorted!

Have a good day, all.

Postby mistakened » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 pm

The lime trees had a very good crop this year, about thirty fruit. They have to be used up as they are getting over ripe, they turn yellow. Deb decided to make a Lime Drizzle Cake, she found a Jamaican recipe. The lime zest is so strong that I could smell it at the far end of the sitting room. I look forward to the cake.

The Pissouri Village Council post copies of official notices on the village Face Book page, one of the latest concerns the establishment of a Halloumi Museum. Knowing the speed at which officialdom moves in Cyprus, I am not holding my breath about ever visiting it.

Moira

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Deb's lime drizzle sounds fab, Moira!
When I think how dried out and juiceless the typical supermarket, or even market limes can be here :(

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Yes. It’s very difficult to find a nice juicy lime. I’m afraid I tend to use Waitrose bottled. :oops:

Shoot me now.

And that thing of warming limes in the microwave never seems to work for me.

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 am

Ellow!

Have I missed owt? MUST post more often?

We's having macaroni cheese for dinner tomorrow - our own recp, of course. :yum

:yum
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Rainbow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:42 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Talking of insurance, I haven't taken out annual insurance this year but there is a policy which comes with my bank account and latest communication says, " On 5th January 2021 we’ll be making changes to your insurance cover ... in some circumstances relating to self-isolating, Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advice and natural disasters, you will no longer be covered for cancelling a trip due to a pandemic such as COVID-19"
I'm not surprised but think we'll have to examine any insurances very carefully before travelling anywhere!

I read in 'Choice' magazine (our version of 'Which', I think) that no insurance will now offer cover for COVID cancellation because it is now a 'known' problem. And you should have planned for it :lol:

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 am

Umm, a question. Over on Wildfood, I did a sort of Advent Calendar thingy with a random factoid revealed each day, instead of chocolate.
Would I be able to do the same thing on this board? I had a thread that was just for the factoids and any replies, Would I be able to do that here? And where could I put the thread?

Not all the factoids are food (or Xmas) related.
Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 am

Time to hop off now.

Nit nit peeps :newhuggy
Grasshopper

Postby mistakened » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 am

Good morning Campers, bit warmer here today now that the rain has cleared. The grass and the weeds are springing up. I understand the reason why but it is such a pity that the beach cafes cannot open on such a nice day.

Moira

Postby icelesley » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 am

Good Morning campers. It's dry and warmer here today too. The plasterer has finished the walls and we can go ahead and paint the ceiling now, that was done a few weeks ago so is dry. :thumbsup the new kitchen arrives Monday and they will start the build. :limbobanana Now I have to go and stand on he bottom of the ladder for a while to steady it. :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 am

Morning all. It’s St Cecilia’s Day, patron saint of musicians! Lovely and bright outside and I can hear birds chirruping.

Has Trump given in yet?

ETA. It’s also Stir Up Sunday. 8-)

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:19 am

Morning. Dull and cloudy here again, as forecast. Woke up with Basil next to my pillow this morning, purring away, dirty paws on my newly changed bedding. Leant over to kiss him and he stuck a claw up my nostril and made it bleed :lol: Little beast. No excuse as clearly he'd already been fed and let out by husband.
My getting up time has really slipped over the last week. I need to try to get up an hour earlier.

I am going to have make myself do something practical today. Garden or hswk. But not until I have had at least two cups of coffee.

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:28 am

Grasshopper wrote:Umm, a question. Over on Wildfood, I did a sort of Advent Calendar thingy with a random factoid revealed each day, instead of chocolate.
Would I be able to do the same thing on this board? I had a thread that was just for the factoids and any replies, Would I be able to do that here? And where could I put the thread?

I think it would be fun to do it again. :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 pm

Morning all! :wave. You all sound chirpy today!

Very encouraging that your plastering was completed so quickly icey. I'm still contemplating having the bedrooms done a) if the price is right and b) if I can bear the chaos!

Grassy - why not just put your daily offerings on here? Everyone would see them.

Looks a fine day, no idea if the forecast agrees. I'm having a zoom call with a friend shortly. She's got to conduct a formal meeting this week and hasn't conducted a zoom meeting before so wants to try it out. Walk later. Last night I stir fried some veg, reached for the salmon I'd defrosted and discovered it was quite decent oak smoked trout. Managed to adjust the meal accordingly, there's plenty left for tonight :yum.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Morning all! Sun shining and it's not raining! OH said it was lovely when he went out for the paper and our Sunday morning Waitrose treats, so I think a walk is in order. We'll probably avoid the river though, as it is heaving on nice Sundays with a combination of cyclists, runners and everyone else :lol:

Icey, sooooooooooo exciting!! Where did you get your units in the end?

Herbi, naughty Basil :mrgreen:

EM, smoked trout sounds like a lovely surprise :D

PP, I hadn't realised it was St Cecilia's Day, there have been happier occasions for musicians :( I so hope things are better for them by next year.

Will check out who was on Marr and catch up if it looks interesting.

Have a good day, all.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm

And by happy coincidence, Benjamin Britten’s birthday.

Postby liketocook » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Good morning everyone,
Smoked trout - oh yes please :yum
Cold and wet here again.
Kitchen work continues, back to the messy prep stages as woodwork needs sanding before painting but it's getting there slowly but surely and it looks as though a lot more money has spent on it than actually has. :D
I've a small lamb rump joint defrosted for dinner tonight, it will get a good sear then a quick roast with garlic & rosemary. A :wino or two may well accompany it. :D

Postby THE MOD TEAM » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 pm

aero280 wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:Umm, a question. Over on Wildfood, I did a sort of Advent Calendar thingy with a random factoid revealed each day, instead of chocolate.

I think it would be fun to do it again. :)

Go for it Grassy!
We might move it to “Other Stuff” but we all need seasonal fun :D

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:24 pm

THE MOD TEAM wrote:]

Go for it Grassy!
We might move it to “Other Stuff” but we all need seasonal fun :D

Great! Looking forward to it :clap

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox