Register

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 3

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Gosh. I have a lot of Christmas food left over but nothing is going in the bin. And things like mince pies last for ages! (Hald eaten ones suggests gluttony ;) 'Waffer thin' and all that...) And cheese...

I imagine a lot of people over bought, fuelled by scare stories about food shortages, and being desperate to compensate for other things by having a really good Christmas foodwise. But perhaps the critical thing is that people have become slaves to the best before date. (Me included.)

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:56 pm

I'm ashamed to say I do know people who will throw away the remains of a Christmas turkey or similar rather than stripping the bones of meat for future meals and making stock. They are the sort of people who can't bear 'clutter' and seem to view it as such in their fridge. I suppose this would extend to any food but a bit of meal planning should eliminate the need for waste. I think the modern obsession for decluttering has a lot to answer for as it has made just throwing things away to tidy up acceptable - which it is not. My suggestion to someone the other day that they put literally two stitches into a nice cardigan where they could not be seen but would make a difference to the life of the garment was met with the sort of incredulity I would expect if I had suggested they made a ball gown.

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Suffs wrote:Now that’s flummoxed me WolfGirl ... I had pictured you as the proud
custodian of a pair of Alaskan Malamutes or similar wolf-like canines :?

Suffs, I know :roll: It’s ironic!!!

Postby scullion » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:22 pm

good morning, all
the sound of drips are ringing out - it's either rain or thawing snow from the roof - i haven't looked.
we went to bed very late last night after a video call with our daughter's house 'bubble', after which, at three, my partner went to put lagging on a garden tap just in case it froze.
he says the snow is still on the ground. maybe i'll go and look before it's all gone.
a cat is using my wrist as a pillow - she's given up trying to nudge my hand into stroke mode.
no fireworks here last night - and if there were the snow would have dulled the sound anyway.
remember that christmas lasts until candlemas - another month of good cheer!
have a cosy day, everyone.

Postby scullion » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:05 pm

good old rishi - a long time coming!
Last edited by scullion on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby aero280 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Apparently it snowed here for 5 minutes this morning, but I hadn't opened the curtains to notice.

We opened a bottle of Champagne last night and had a couple of glasses. I suggested that we ought to have the last bit as a champagne breakfast before it went flat. We did, in theory, but breakfast was so late it was almost lunchtime!! :roll: :lol:

I see that the expected parties happened last night, despite the rules. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55507599

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I'm ashamed to say I do know people who will throw away the remains of a Christmas turkey or similar rather than stripping the bones of meat for future meals and making stock.

Wasn't Cinnamon Sally's MIL one of said people? I remember her commenting on it, on the old board. I've never forgotten it :shock: . Still gives me sleepless nights (as I think would be the case with most foodies :D ).
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:53 pm

HNY, all!

Earthmaiden wrote:Time to hunker down and hibernate for a couple of months now watching for those little signs that nature is once more stirring into action, regardless of what's going on in the world. Signs that all will be well. The board has been and will be a lovely thing in these times. Thank you all - especially Sakkarin for being there. Like all families, we don't always agree with each other but certainly don't want to lose anyone either .

EM, well said, totally agree with you.

Pepper Pig wrote:Am torn between feeling pleased that 2020 has finally gone, and depressed that we are on our own now that Brexit has happened.

Yup, me too, PP

We attended our first Zoom social gathering yesterday, it was good fun, the hosts had put together some really fun quizzy questions and a good time was had by all. Had a long chat with DS2 in LA who told us all about their escape from being snowed in at Lake Arrowhead where they went for a few nights!

Lots of fireworks round here too, and extremely loud revellers on the street outside after 12.45 when we were going to sleep. I must find the "official" London celebration on YouTube as we didn't see anything on TV. I thought the blue and yellow dove was beautiful.

Ah, OH is persuading me to go for a quick walk by the river as it'll probably be deserted given the horrid weather. See you in a bit ...

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:55 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVREYBODE!!!!!!

Saw in the new year on tv last nite, then did my thing with the bread, salt and coal before going to bed.
All the cats stayed in last nite becos of the fireworks

Only been as far as the local newsagent today, but not before I took a nasty spill on ice while en route.
As I fell, a knocked my head against a fence - thankfully I had my hat on!
I was very shaken up and :cry: a lot. A jogger came by and helped me get up.
Still have a painful buttock :cry:

Off out shopping tomorrow for some fresh :mug: time supplies for when I go back to 'W' next week.
We are still in bubbles at the mo and may be so until at least Easter.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:06 pm

Just watched the evening shortened repeat of the New Year's concert from Vienna.
Muti's words about how important music is and culture is for our mental health, particularly in these hard times after such an annus horribilis for everyone, were very moving.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:52 pm

Ouch! Grassy ... be careful ... have you rubbed it with arnica?

Yes ... Muti’s words were so apt.

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 am

Umm - I haven't put anything on either injury. Head is fine thanks to my hat, and the buttock pain should fade over the weekend.

I :cry: like a kid when I fall like that - it's not so much the falling, as the shaking up I get :cry:
Grasshopper

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:29 am

It's the shock, Grassy. I cry too. I hope it's not too painful tomorrow.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:30 am

That is shock Grassy ... hot sweet tea and rest ... treat yourself gently ... I know it’s ‘only a tumble’ but as we get older we are less able to bounce. I’ve had a couple of tumbles in the past 15 years that have really shaken me ... neither was down to my age, it could’ve happened to anyone, but as you say it really shakes you up when you’re no longer a sort young thing. Have a good nights sleep ... it’ll do you good, but font be surprised if you’re a bit achy in the morning. :newhuggy

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:31 am

Great minds Herbi :hi5: :lol:

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:36 am

TVM for your concern, both of you :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy

This Hopper is hopping off to bed now.

Had a VERY late nite last nite ;)

Nit nit :newhuggy
Grasshopper

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 am

Sweet dreams Grassy ... and everyone ... night night :yawn

Postby mistakened » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:18 am

Good Morning Campers, I hope that you are recovering from your fall, Grassy
We watched the entire New Years Concert from Vienna, Muti was so right. Can the musicians here tell me, did the empty auditorium affect the acoustics ?

Moira :mug:

Postby Suffs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:12 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Moira I certainly felt that the sound quality was slightly different due to there being no audience ... my son (a sound engineer) could explain it technically.
This morning is dull and overcast ... no frost this morning.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 am

Morning all. I had roasted loin of pork yesterday which I haven’t had for a long time. When the Deli counter in Sainsbury’s was open I often used to get a couple of extra thick chops cut and I casseroled them but didn’t bother buying a joint for roasting.

Usual catch up with friends by phone but other than that I didn’t bother doing anything and it’ll be the same until Monday as to me that marks the end of the holiday period.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox