Register

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 3

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby mark111757 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:27 am

Happy New Year to one and all. 826pm st as I type this. Maybe go to you tube and see what the rest of the world did for celebration.

Postby mistakened » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:12 am

Kronia Polla, fellow Campers :wino
Very quiet here, a lot of illegal fireworks at midnight but none of the usual parties.

Moira :mug:

Postby icelesley » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all :wave: :wave: :wave: :cocktail:

Postby Busybee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:53 am

Happy New Year. Wishing you all a better 2021

BB

Postby icelesley » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:00 am

There were several firework garden parties going on around us, it was like a war zone, they were definitely not standard fireworks, we had to sedate Frankie, she was scared to death. Fortunately I have tablets from the vet for such circumstances.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:07 am

Happy New Year one and all. It was a glorious day in Leeds yesterday, bright sunshine all day - downside was that it was absolutely freezing. Postman came relatively early and delivered a parcel so I had to open the door, it took me less than a second to decide I was going nowhere :lol:

It’s been a long time since I haven’t been to a pub at some point on New Years Eve so it was strange but hey ho. Roast loin of pork sometime today not sure if afternoon or evening yet but otherwise not doing anything, still a bit dark outside to see what weather I’ll be missing :lol:

Have a good New Year’s Day and take care.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:22 am

Happy New Year folks! :D :mug:
Let’s hope it’ll be an improvement on the last one ... there were certainly folk around here determined to see it out with a bang! but the fireworks didn’t go on for very long.
Now we have another frosty morning, but sky is overcast ... I don’t think it’s quite as cold as it was yesterday when the sky was so clear.
Apart from a brisk walk we have nothing planned for the day ... we have some delicious rashers of Suffolk sweet cure bacon to use up and some good butcher’s sausages, so we’ll have breakfast and chips for supper.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:48 am

Happy New Year everyone, it's just got to be better this year..... I hope.

Was in bed by 9.30pm and have woken up to a very hard frost and a sky that looks like we might get some of the white stuff later. I have stoked up the wood burner from last night and left some halved chestnut m'rooms to simmer in some butter. Slices of bread are in foil containers and will be toasted one side in about half an hour. Boxing day sarnies at some time today maybe with a Bloody Mary de-luxe as per FCQ recipe.

There's a concert on later so will have that on in the background. I have been listening to some fabulous Carols on spotify (just voices no instruments) over Crimbo, they have been very healing to my head.

Vietnamese pork with noodles for supper if we need it.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:11 am

Happy New Year all. We were tucked up in bed by 10. Am torn between feeling pleased that 2020 has finally gone, and depressed that we are on our own now that Brexit has happened. There’s always something to worry about if you try hard enough.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:17 am

Happy New Year to Everyone. We were in bed by 10.00 last night, awake at 6.30 this morning, did'nt hear a thing.

What will be, will be.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 am

Happy New Year everyone ... :wave: :wave: :wave:

I too had an early night ... in fact there was so little on tv that I wanted to watch, I started catching up on Sarah Beeny's series about building a new life (and house) in Somerset. At 9pm I decided go to bed and even turned off my phone. Watched an 'Endeavour' on ITV3 +1, then caught the last 30 minutes of Graham Norton, then back to ITV3 for a couple of hours of Elton John's top 20 hits ... by now it is 1am ... I am hungry, so settle for hot milk and honey. It was probably another hour before I dropped off to sleep.

You would hardly know this is a 2 person household at the moment .. Daughter popped into Uxbridge yesterday morning ostensibly to buy some essentials she would need to cook her meals for when she goes back to work. While she was there she took the opportunity to top up her alcohol supplies :roll: :o :( .
I think I last saw her yesterday afternoon. She retreated to her loft room and I have not seen or heard from her since :thumbsdown

I am now trying to summon up the energy to do a zumba session. I need to do something to free some endorphins :limbobanana :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:36 am

There’s always something to worry about if you try hard enough.
:D

Happy New Year everyone. We had three video calls yesterday evening, must admit I wasn't really up for the last one. Got to bed in the early hours. Not so frosty this morning here. Yesterday was a joy, the Meads is really muddy and for once it was possible to walk around without worrying about slipping over or coming back half a stone heavier.

We've got the 'emergency turkey joint' today, plus our veg. Haven't yet decided what to do for afters. Dinner will be after dark. We'll go for a walk before then but not sure where's best to avoid crowds. Would have been good to get out early today but that was never going to happen...

Postby mistakened » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:52 am

Very quiet here today, almost no traffic, not even the lads on their bikes.

Yesterdays supper was a great example of serendipity. I mentioned that we had a lot of Lemon Grass, I Googled and found a recipe for Chicken Noodle Soup with Lemon Grass, I had most of the ingredients. It produced a beautiful aromatic broth. We shall be having that again.
I am now getting ready the Vienna New Years Day Concert

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:08 pm

Morning! :wave. A Happy New Year to you all!. It's very grey and very frosty here and has started to snow lightly. It is 50 years today that I moved to this area, a rather sobering thought. There was snow on the ground then too.

Fireworks galore here last night and masses at midnight. I have no pets and no objection as long as people weren't having parties. I'll catch up with the 'drone show' today as I found TV offerings generally unappealing and didn't bother watching.

Time to hunker down and hibernate for a couple of months now watching for those little signs that nature is once more stirring into action, regardless of what's going on in the world. Signs that all will be well. The board has been and will be a lovely thing in these times. Thank you all - especially Sakkarin for being there. Like all families, we don't always agree with each other but certainly don't want to lose anyone either :newhuggy .

Postby liketocook » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:28 pm

Happy New Year everyone,
It's a bright and frosty start to 2021 here :D
I didn't sit up for the bells - watched and enjoyed "Death to 2020", ate far too much beige buffet food, had a few glasses of wine and was in bed with a :mug: by 11pm. There were some fireworks let off early evening but none I was aware of at midnight.
My butchers order appeared mid afternoon, some of it could go straight to the freezer but most needs portioning and vac packing over the next couple of days. There's a huge log of my favourite Stornoway black pudding, a couple of slices of that in a roll will be be brunch once my son appears from his lie in. Beef Wellington to put together this afternoon, something I've not cooked or eaten for over 10 years so I'm really looking forward to it later.

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:37 pm

Good morning everyone and a Happy New Year to you all.
We didn’t get a frost last night so I’m assuming it will feel warmer today.

BB, I’m the least doggy person I know but that dog is downright gorgeous.

Icelesley, I have kitchen envy. You must be very pleased with the outcome. Hope your oven was easy to get used to over Christmas.

We weren’t impressed with the tv offerings either so watched another episode of The Crown then the 2nd Professional Masterchef we missed the other night. Was about to get into bed at midnight when DD rang to wish HNY. So later than planned. No carousing round here but there were a few fireworks on the horizon in the direction of York.

This morning I shall make some stuffing to go with the roast chicken for later today. Looking forward to it as we didn’t have the traditional Christmas dinner this time.

Enjoy your day, hopefully the start of a peaceful and healthy 2021.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Well said EM! :thumbsup

I'm with Suffs about the importance of grass root communication. The government's reluctance to see the essentialness of it is, in my opinion, a significant part of why track & trace hasn't worked as well as it could have done.

Happy New Year all!

We saw it in with friends via Zoom. We were (much to our chagrin) soundly trounced at Trivial Pursuit by the opposing team but a re-match beckons!!

Am about to head out for a walk as the sun has emerged from the mist and the fells are looking superb. Turkey pie for tea- hurrah!! :yum

Have a splendid day :wave
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:47 pm

Hapyp New Year.

Lots of fireworks here from about 10pm onwards but superloud ones around midnight. The noise was phenomenal and Lily was terrified.

Grey and cold again here - as is the forecast for the next fortnight.

I am trying a new coffee right now. A rather good Ethiopian one. I should get dressed... (but was up till half one and awake until at least 3.)

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:58 pm

I can't find a suitable thread to add this to but am so shocked.

I have just read of a local survey carried out by TradeWaste.co.uk which asked 4,500 people about the contents of their Christmas bins. This is in a town of approx 222,000. As well as horrendous amounts of packaging etc they surmised that 15 tons of mince pies (including half eaten ones) and 6 tons of cheese were thrown away. Cheese would still be good now for heaven's sake. How did we become such a wasteful nation when so many are hungry? :(

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Now that’s flummoxed me WolfGirl ... I had pictured you as the proud
custodian of a pair of Alaskan Malamutes or similar wolf-like canines :?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox