Register

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 3

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby cherrytree » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Good old Great North Ambulance. Hope he’s ok

Postby cherrytree » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:38 pm

I see it’s reported on the News and Star website

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:41 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Perhaps where the expression 'ratty', as in grouchy, comes from?

:lol: I suspect it is!

Good news re Axel Uschi, sounds like a healthy meal if not a tasty one :hi5:

Can I have a very brief rant - a question really
I've just printed out an email informing me of a change to an insurance policy, so that I can file it with the policy document, obviously
Five, FIVE pages of badly laid out junk full of advertising
Do other people find that documents sent them electronically by banks, insurance companies, councils etc ar hardly ever printer friendly or laid out for A4 paper, even when it's obvious that printing is the first thing the recipient will do?

My annoyance was not abated by going to the customer disservice hub, which insulted me by assuming I was there only because I was too stupid to know how my account worked, and didn't give any way of contacting customer services

It's a grizzly day out there, and I'm grizzling :D

Postby Seatallan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:54 pm

cherrytree wrote:I see it’s reported on the News and Star website

Our neighbour will be delighted!! He'll be dining out on this for years to come. :lol: :lol:

From what I understand, he's OK- just a bit battered. Don't think he'll be doing much with the cows for a while!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 pm

RIP Jan Morris ... a remarkable woman and a journalist and writer whose integrity has never, to the best of my knowledge, been questioned. A human being of immense courage and dignity ... a hero. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... es-aged-94

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:18 pm

RIP Jan

Also something of a food and wine buff :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:41 pm

I find a lot of the best people are SSue :thumbsup

Sadly the reverse is less frequently true. ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Trans friend posted on FB that today is Transgnder Day of Remembrance, seems a fitting day to link to Jan Morris

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Those ratlets of yours are determined to keep you on your toes, Smitch! :crossed all continues well for them.
Good news about Axel too, Uschi - bet he'll be glad to get home.

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 pm

Yes, they’re definitely keeping me on my toes at the moment. Ada had her medicine like a good girl but Nancy refused hers :roll: Hopefully will have better luck tomorrow.

Postby aero280 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm

The farmer's story is briefly mentioned on the BBC website...

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 21.52.21.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 21.52.21.png (42.25 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Postby mistakened » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:58 am

Good Morning Campers, some people think that life in the country is quiet, Seatallen
A lovely calm morning here.

Moira :mug:

Postby Busybee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 am

Farming is a surprisingly dangerous profession. At school we were annually shown all the health and safety executive (or whatever the fore runner was) films about all the dangers lurking on a farm. The slurry pit one still occasionally appears in my dreams.

Our neighbour, in his late 70’s, was charged by a cow in lockdown 1, he ended up with broken arm and collar bone. Although I think his worst injury was to his pride!

BB

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
When Ma was in the land army there was an incident with a bull on a farm and the farmer had been knocked to the ground in the pen and was being trampled and gored by the bull ... there were farmworkers standing around but they couldn’t distract the bull away from the farmer ... Ma grabbed a pitchfork and stuck the sharp prong in the bull’s nostril and kept jabbing it ... obviously this was very painful and he pulled his head back ... Ma kept jabbing and the bull backed off enough for the men to get into the pen and drag the farmer out. He was badly hurt with broken ribs etc and he lost the sight in one eye, bug undoubtedly Ma’s quick thinking saved his life.
We didn’t find out about that incident until I met someone whose grandmother had known Ma back in those days ... she told us and Ma confirmed it was true.
Farming is a dangerous life.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49421235

Postby icelesley » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:06 am

Good Morning campers. Cricky Suffs, your Ma was brave :thumbsup no rain yet, and it's 4C outside, better than yesterday's 2C :shock: The plastered should be here soon, more mess to clean up later :roll:

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 am

We said she was brave ... she said she wasn’t ... but she was very determined :twisted: She said that some of the older farm workers didn’t think much of the Land Army girls ... she was determined to show them ... and she did. :thumbsup

Postby scullion » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am

good morning, all.
overcast and a bit mizzley.
we are back from aggie after having our 'flu jabs. ours were the 'later' appointments - goodness only knows what time the early ones were.
this means i'm on my second cup of coffee of the day.
our walk on the beach yesterday was punctuated by the attendance of the coastguards. when i stopped one to ask what was going on he said that there was an animal body on the beach (possibly a seal he said) but they have been keeping their eyes open, along this stretch of coast, for someone who was washed off the rocks at tubby's head a week ago and who has so far not been found.
the coastguard was someone we know quite well. when the other two came over the conversation continued - we know them, too. two were our dentists and the other was a fellow surf (life saving) club instructor. village life eh?
not sure what's in store for today - i think i need to go back to sleep. i'm not used to being up that early.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Dull and windy here. Not sure what to do today either. Feeling very 'flat'. I was still awake at 3.30 and after eventually going to sleep woke up with bad pain in arm, so I guess the old mattress wasn't the culprit for this reoccurring eventuality. I shall order a new pillow. Not sure what to get, though.

Hmm I need a plan of (moderate) action.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Morning all! :wave. Looks a nice day. My walk yesterday afternoon was supposed to have been in rain but wasn't, for which I was rather glad.

Lots been going on here! Sad news re Jan Morris. Interesting about the farmer being so near to Seatallen! I notice that the journey by air ambulance was 25 minutes. I think Seatallen said he was taken to Carlisle. It seems a long trip (or perhaps helicopters dont fly as fast as I thought).

Herbi - quite agree about sites which don't offer a print friendly option on things you may well want to print :evil:
Talking of insurance, I haven't taken out annual insurance this year but there is a policy which comes with my bank account and latest communication says, " On 5th January 2021 we’ll be making changes to your insurance cover ... in some circumstances relating to self-isolating, Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advice and natural disasters, you will no longer be covered for cancelling a trip due to a pandemic such as COVID-19"
I'm not surprised but think we'll have to examine any insurances very carefully before travelling anywhere!

Hope that all people and pets who've been under the weather are perking up today. I'll be off for more walking today. A teeny bit envious of those who can get to the beach easily!

Postby liketocook » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Good morning everyone,
Glad Axe; "passed" Uschi :D
Farming & Fishing- two horribly dangerous industries to put food on our table, the rigours of which are so removed from the everyday shopper.
"Dreich" and chilly here today. "Phase two" of the kitchen refurb starts today with rather a lot of woodwork getting prepped ready for painting. My role will be to not get in the way so I plan to do some admin and have an online hunt for a new mattress as mine is needing beginning to need replaced and just isn't as comfy as it once was.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox