Register

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 3

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 pm

good morning, all.
overcast - and the forecast says that the drizzle has stopped - but i'm not sure about that.
our daughter sent a short clip of swan herding, yesterday, on the platform of bath station. giggles from spectators was evident.
after reporting swans on the m5 a few years back (they seem to be a common occurrence on that part) we decided that rural parts of motorways must look like rivers to swans. i'm not sure that's the same for bath spa station.
nothing planned (other than, probably, a walk).
i made sure that my, and my partner's, alarm was turned off last night. i had no intention of getting up at that time again for no purpose. his arm aches, mine does not.
we binge watched dna last night. we had suspected the final 'link' from the very first episode and what the main character's final decision would be from the penultimate. it was good.
i'm annoyed that i forgot to record the first two episodes of the next 'scandi noir' - thank goodness for iplayer. sometimes it's heartening to see that other people survive through worse weather than us - but then they have snow rather than a variety of rains.
a second coffee is wanted.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:34 pm

There’s a swan family, 5 cygnets, on the local wetlands

The bit of New River they use to travel from one part of their territory to another became choked with reeds etc so the volunteers cleared it, the swans watching from a safe distance.

As soon as they had a clear channel, all 7 went through in procession :wino

I watched the Icelandic thriller almost live, occasionally freezing the subtitles. Annoyingly if you do that the text is overlaid with a graphic showing you that you have frozen the video. Fortunately this lot are terse. Nice oh I’ve seen this plot before - oh no I haven’t twist.

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm

Hello everyone. It’s a lovely day but quite cold. Our walk has been done.
I love to see swans and their cygnets but can’t remember the last time that happened.
I’m really pleased today’s weather is good. This lockdown has affected my mood much more than the last one. I can only put it down to the miserable weather and shorter days. Life seems so mundane at the moment but I know I have lots to be thankful for. Thanks for ‘listening’.
Enjoy the rest of your day.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:54 pm

WolfGirl wrote:Thanks for ‘listening’

That's what we're here for, WG :newhuggy

And yes, I think it's also more of the same old, same old, with little chance of any significant change for a while, plus the shorter days etc. That said, today is beautiful, and wasn't particularly cold here when we had our walk. Although I did have a warm coat, a hat and gloves :D Given how busy the street was, I'm glad we didn't try the river!

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:14 pm

That's what we're here for, WG :newhuggy

:thumbsup Thanks.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Wolfgirl, please accept a virtual hug from me too. I know what you mean. I was saying to Mr S just yesterday that I'm really missing things like actual (as opposed to virtual) Christmas craft markets. I'd just love to be wandering around one as we speak, with real other people and a stall selling mulled cider....

Better days will come :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Seatallan wrote:Wolfgirl, please accept a virtual hug from me too. I know what you mean. I was saying to Mr S just yesterday that I'm really missing things like actual (as opposed to virtual) Christmas craft markets. I'd just love to be wandering around one as we speak, with real other people and a stall selling mulled cider....

Ditto, ditto and ditto (especially the cider ;) ) :newhuggy

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I watched the Icelandic thriller almost live, occasionally freezing the subtitles. Annoyingly if you do that the text is overlaid with a graphic showing you that you have frozen the video. Fortunately this lot are terse. Nice oh I’ve seen this plot before - oh no I haven’t twist.

I do the opposite if I'm watching on Catch-up... I ff the bits where there is no talking, only action ..

What occurred to me last night is that almost without fail, the primary (police) character always has drama going on at home at the same time as what is happening at work where they must prioritise their time and attention ... Wallander is the same ! I end up breathless with anxiety :roll: :shock:

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Suffs wrote:
Seatallan wrote:Wolfgirl, please accept a virtual hug from me too. I know what you mean. I was saying to Mr S just yesterday that I'm really missing things like actual (as opposed to virtual) Christmas craft markets. I'd just love to be wandering around one as we speak, with real other people and a stall selling mulled cider....

Ditto, ditto and ditto (especially the cider ;) ) :newhuggy

Seconded! We'd usually be looking forward to a continental European Christmas market :( . Our life hasn't been badly affected but I'm really fed up too.

Still, we must be thankful for what we have got not what we haven't :thumbsup .

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I do the opposite if I'm watching on Catch-up... I ff the bits where there is no talking, only action ..

What occurred to me last night is that almost without fail, the primary (police) character always has drama going on at home at the same time as what is happening at work where they must prioritise their time and attention ... Wallander is the same ! I end up breathless with anxiety :roll: :shock:

No I don't ffwd the text - I freeze it because I can't read the text in the time it's on screen, I gave up on series 3 of the Bridge, they were so flippin' verbose I might as well read a book :lol:

Just me thought the moody guy from Oslo looked like a Scandi Tom Waits?

WolfGirl :newhuggy

Been for a walk in the sunshine, went over to the marshes, met an old friend en route and had a natter, I wore my Serious Walking Boots which was probably overkill, but I like to keep my feet in sync with them and haven't worn them all summer, there were a lot of people out, and a lot of them will be regretting their footwear choices I suspect, it's pretty muddy everywhere. Feel better for it though - it's suppposedly golder than yesterday, but as there is no wind at all it didn't feel like it

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:00 pm

We ended up going out. Possibly a bit further than we are supposed to, but didn't come within 10m of anyone while out of the car. I had not left the house for a fortnight before the funeral so felt the need and there's nowhere of interest to walk round here. Just literally round the houses unless you get in a car (or, um train or bus. I think not.)
My mood dips as soon as the daylight decreases, and with it energy and motivation. I am solar powered... It's a bit hard to come up with something to look forward to at the moment, I find. Christmas is definitely never on the list, though, anyway, and this year will be more tricky and potentially a bit stressy, assuming I can visit my mother at all. But at least it won't be a case of leaving the office on Christmas Eve then driving up.
One can always find something to look forward to though... Murmuration season is upon us, for example. When it freezes I am going to try to make ice bubbles to photograph. Small things...

I have begun to think wistfully about places I have been and travel, nice meals out and gigs... our house in France and the pre-Christmas hop across the Channel for a French shop. I am surprised it's taken me this long. The immense relief about not having to go into the office has carried me a long way. I expect that soon anxiety about having to go in again will kick in.
Ha, we are having an online office Christmas party this year. (I suppose no getting out of it, but it won't be so painful anyway?) They are going to give us a £75 voucher each to spend!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 pm

herbidacious wrote:a, we are having an online office Christmas party this year. (I suppose no getting out of it, but it won't be so painful anyway?) They are going to give us a £75 voucher each to spend!

Things are definitely looking up, herbi :lol: Do you get to choose where your voucher is for?

When I worked in recruitment, we used to get vouchers for, gosh, I can't remember now what they were for, maybe each new client we brought in or something like that, and could choose where for. Very useful coming up to Christmas time!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 pm

We don't have the details yet. Hopefully not Threshers :) (Do they still exist?) As if they would...!

Postby mistakened » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 am

Good Morning Campers, toast with lime marmalade for breakfast, double buttered toast of course.
No rain but the heavy dews have started, I always have to clear the car windscreen if I go out early.

Moira :mug:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:39 am

Morning all. Fields behind my flat are a bit white this morning and the forecast is sunny periods but cold.

Wolfgirl, I know what you mean about this lockdown. The short days and the weather definitely makes the day seem longer but on the upside if the weather stops me going out then there’s loads of Christmas movies to watch, I’m a simple soul really so it keeps me happy :lol:.

Had my first ‘proper’ roast yesterday, previous ones have just been mini ones, so I made sure that I had plenty of carrot and swede mash, roasties, Brussels and parsnip left so that has been mashed down and will be fried with a fried egg on top for brunch :yum .

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Morning all! Sun shining and it's not raining! OH said it was lovely when he went out for the paper and our Sunday morning Waitrose treats, so I think a walk is in order. We'll probably avoid the river though, as it is heaving on nice Sundays with a combination of cyclists, runners and everyone else :lol:

Icey, sooooooooooo exciting!! Where did you get your units in the end?

Herbi, naughty Basil :mrgreen:

EM, smoked trout sounds like a lovely surprise :D

PP, I hadn't realised it was St Cecilia's Day, there have been happier occasions for musicians :( I so hope things are better for them by next year.

Will check out who was on Marr and catch up if it looks interesting.

The units are from a local company Classic Kitchens been around twenty odd years, I used to babysit the owner years and years ago :D
Have a good day, all.

Postby icelesley » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:04 am

Good Morning campers. We have a hard frost this morning, everywhere is white. The kitchen arrives this morning, got to go things to do :shock:

Postby Suffs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:15 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I’ve only just woken up :shock: :yawn
I’d better have a :mug: and read back ...

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:47 am

Morning all! :wave

:newhuggy to all who are finding this lockdown harder than the last. The novelty is wearing thin for me too yet I have so much to be grateful for I scold myself if I start to feel down in the dumps. I think that apart from the springlike weather last time, the hard thing about this one has been seeing people go about their normal business more with families passing as they go to school each day and looking busy and happy (even if they're not!). It'll be interesting to hear what Boris has to say today. I don't envy the decisions they will have to make to try and balance the virus with human emotion over the festive season.

I think, as one gets older, that vouchers are very welcome in lieu of the average work Christmas do!

It's a gorgeous day. I'm a bit fed up as I have been trying really hard with my diet this week and find I weigh more than I did at the start :evil:. I suspect that even with quite decent walks and home exercises I am not as active as usual. I might start having 2 shorter walks each day which would distribute the movement better and add up to more miles. Of course, I'm sure that just reading about all the lovely things people have been baking here adds pounds!

Icey . the big day at last! :bounce:

Postby Suffs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am

Hope all goes well Icey :limbobanana :crossed

This lockdown really hasn't changed anything for me as I've stayed away from shops and other people, other than the bonus that OH is at home every day rather than him going in to work for his usual part time hours ... so for me it's an improvement 8-) .... Please don't throw things :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox