Register

Waffle makers?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Waffle makers?

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:Surely grams and ml are interchangeable?

Only with water (and similar substances like milk, juice, wine)

But 100ml of flour is approximately 50g

I'm afraid I'm always confused :oops:
I never really know how much, for example, olive oil "weighs" on the ml setting on my scales.

And some brands of kefir/yogurt come in ml and others in g ... :roll: :?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I must dig out my cheese & potato waffle recipe.

That made me think of the advert: " Bird's Eye Potato waffles " ... sung with an American accent

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm

I never really know how much, for example, olive oil "weighs" on the ml setting on my scales.

And some brands of kefir/yogurt come in ml and others in g ..

Oils are about 0.9 grams per ml, 100ml weighs about 90g (actually 92). A tablespoon (15ml) is roughly 13½g.

Dairy products are pretty close to 1g/ml, I just assume that for milk, cream and yogurt, it's near enough.

The ml setting on scales doesn't measure mls, it measures grams and assumes them to be the same. At least it does on my Salter, otherwise there would have to be a way of telling it the density of the goods.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank you BM! It makes total sense that scales can't do the proper calculation. I would always measure liquid in a measuring vessel as a matter of course but it explains what Sue has been valiantly been trying to explain to this bear of little brain. My comment about the USA adopting ml for dry goods instead of g still stands :evil:.

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:56 pm

I didn’t think US cups were metric

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:57 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Thank you BM! It makes total sense that scales can't do the proper calculation. I would always measure liquid in a measuring vessel as a matter of course but it explains what Sue has been valiantly been trying to explain to this bear of little brain. My comment about the USA adopting ml for dry goods instead of g still stands :evil:.

Ditto :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:36 pm

smitch wrote:I didn’t think US cups were metric

They're not, but it would seem that there is a growing trend to provide metric measurements as well as cups for the rest of the world but using ml instead of grams for things like flour :evil:.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for the recipe, EM, and your reduced down measurements.
I look forward to trying them out.
My waffle maker has arrived and it is very substantial, the plates are iron caste, removable and heavy. But I've packed it away now for a month :D

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Yay waffle maker, Gill.
Word to the wise - before pouring in the batter make sure the plate surfaces are very generously buttered or oiled. I also found that a slightly thicker batter counteracts the weight of the lid and allows the waffle to rise to its full potential :D

Earthmaiden wrote:

They're not, but it would seem that there is a growing trend to provide metric measurements as well as cups for the rest of the world but using ml instead of grams for things like flour :evil:.

I really dislike cups and volume measurements for dry ingredients because theyr'e so intrinsically inaccurate and basically a huge pain. I think that sites that offer metric conversions but only volume to volume just don't get that. I have a list of weight equivalents gleaned from online volume to measurement conversion sites and use those instead.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:

I think I got my measuring cups from JL/Waitrose ... They are marked 1cup/250ml; 1/2cup /125ml; 1/3cup /80ml; 1/4cup / 60ml

I use them when the recipe uses cup measures, so at least the proportions are correct .

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Groundhog day...
US cups are 8 fl oz, near enough 240 ml

EU and Australian cups are properly metric, 250 ml

The extra 10 ml makes no real difference, especially if you are measuring everything in cups so the proportions are maintained

Mine are from the German firm KitchenProfi, via TK Maxx so metric

Postby Rainbow » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:09 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Groundhog day...
US cups are 8 fl oz, near enough 240 ml

EU and Australian cups are properly metric, 250 ml

The extra 10 ml makes no real difference, especially if you are measuring everything in cups so the proportions are maintained

Mine are from the German firm KitchenProfi, via TK Maxx so metric

I agree it doesn't make much difference - I have Australian cups (no surprise there!) but I use them for any recipe and I'm sure some of the recipes are American.

The Gram was originally defined as the weight of 1ml of water at 4ºC - so the amount of water in mls is the same as in grams, by definition.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 am

Thanks for the tip, Zero.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox