Register

The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:00 am

There's quite a debate going on on my local FB page as to whether the cheese in a cheese sandwich should be grated or sliced - that's how it started anyway.

How would your perfect cheese sandwich be presented?

Re: The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

Postby scullion » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:41 am

i prefer grated but if i'm hungry or someone else is making it, i'll eat it any way presented.
if i buy a packet of cheese in a resealable bag i often grate the whole block, keep out what we need at the time, then put the rest of the cheese back in the packet.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 am

When I was 16-17, I used to nip down to my aunt´s house (literally 2 minutes from school) for a couple of fags and a cheese sandwich. Auntie always made the sarnies with grated cheese and Branston.
I think I prefer chunks (or slices) of cheese - although I suppose it might depend on what kind of cheese you´re using.
I doubt it makes a difference to the flavour, but perhaps some prefer a different texture?

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:02 am

As long as it’s cheese I don’t care :lol: . That may sound flippant and in a way it was because apart from a couple of exceptions I really don’t care. For example I’d eat a grated sandwich at home but I wouldn’t have made one to take to work because the cheese seemed to fall out no matter how I carried it.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:16 am

I do prefer grated.
Growing up, we'd have onion salt sprinkled on the cheese. I've not tried it as an adult.

Postby Suffs » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:22 am

Oh no not grated!

For a start some hard cheeses just don’t grate well ... Wensleydale and Caerphilly are two that crumble more than grate. Anyway, I much prefer a good chunky slice of cheese than grated, which begins to dry out as soon as it’s done. A soft squidgy cheese sandwich with bits of cheese falling out ... no thank you very much. :(
Last edited by Suffs on Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suelle » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:23 am

I wouldn't want the bother of dirtying a grater just for a sandwich! Perhaps this thread will be divided between those who have dishwashers, and those who don't. :lol:

Thick slices of mature cheese here, please!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:48 am

It’s not important whether it’s sliced or grated for most purposes - what counts is the cheese - you are putting it in a lot of bread (& butter and secondary fillings) and you need a generous amount of good, well-flavoured cheese to stand up to all of that

If I’ve got a good solid piece of strong cheddar or Red Leicester I’ll slice it thickly - if it has got down to an awkward shape for slicing or I’m making a lot, then I’ll grate it to save fiddling about making a patchwork of tiny slices, or half a dozen patchwork arrangements for multiple sarnies

But as Suffs says, some cheeses don’t really grate

Postby halfateabag » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:51 am

I'm a grated cheeser here. Although I did have blacksticks blue on slice of bread for lunch yesterday it was sparsely spaced. I can't handle too much cheese in my mouth at one time.....? It tends to get 'glued' together....

Ideally grated cheese and sliced celery it my fave way of a cheese sarnie. Again I tend to have an open sarnie (i.e. 1 slice of bread)

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:04 am

Never grated, it falls out.
I don't like my slices too thick so use one of those slicers that looks like a hoe.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:51 am

I have never grated cheese for a sandwich, and probably only had a grated cheese sandwich for the first time when I started working 'properly' and thus buying them for lunch, in my early 30s. If it were grated, it would have to be 'stuck together' with something. Mayonnaise etc. otherwise bits fall out which is annoying.

This is making me think fondly about an old-fashioned, long-established Italian caff on Hatton Garden that used to make me a vey generously filled sliced Emmental, mayo and various bits of salad sandwich. (it closed down, and no business has managed to stay in that location for more than 6 months since.)

Just wondering why people who do prefer grated, do...

I had a delcious white stilton sandwich for a treat yesterday, for lunch. (I rarely eat sandwiches, so they are always a treat, unless they are sub par.)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:32 pm

I think grated if it is to be mixed with something Sometimes you see them for sale mixed with onion or coleslaw and a lot of people like it mixed with pickle. I quite like it mixed with salad cream occasionally.

As Suffs says, it depends on the cheese. I wouldn't be able to choose the best cheese for a sandwich. I suppose it would be a strong cheddar if I did - but a bit of Stilton or Brie or cream cheese are all very pleasing. As for bread, that's just as hard to choose. Mine would be a wheaten bread cut in rustic slices but I love wholemeal, white and granary - and then there's a baguette - is that still a sandwich?

Today I'll go for sliced strong cheddar on buttered white crusty bread, and some sliced tomato with the wettest bits removed. Much as I love pickle and everything else, a cheese and tomato sandwich never disappoints!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:03 pm

The ultimate grated cheese filling surely cheese savoury?

About 250g grated cheddar, a grated carrot, half a red onion grated, s&p and enough salad cream to hold it together

Postby Seatallan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:05 pm

Grated for me. Strong Cheddar, sliced tomato and plenty of black pepper. No more, no less. Could just eat one now actually.... :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Kacey » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:05 pm

Sliced for me, and as strong and mature as possible. Mostly with onion, sometimes with Marmite and occasionally with chutney.

Must try that cheese savoury Sue, sounds good.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:00 pm

You can also add a little grated celery or a pinch of celery seed, I knew there was something missing

Postby Hickybank » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Not a Cheese sandwich but on toast.
Sorting through my bookshelf a free Cheese book fell out, issued by the British Cheese Council
(which ceased to be in 1971) shows how long I have had it.
I remembered there was a recipe we made a lot back then, so making today for lunch.

Fluffy Cheese & Eggs on toast
2oz Cheddar grated
2 Tbls milk
1 Egg separated
2 lightly boiled Eggs
2 slices buttered toast.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stir Cheese & Milk in saucepan over a gentle heat
When the Cheese has melted add the Egg yolk stir in & keep stirring until it thicken Whip Egg white to stiff peaks & fold into the Cheese mixture.
Place boiled Eggs on hot buttered toast, pour over the fluffy Cheese mixture.
Brown under grill if liked.

Postby smitch » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:30 pm

I like strong cheddar, sliced, with some Branston pickle on an oven bottom muffin.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:31 pm

Thinly sliced strong cheddar with a quarter of a thinly sliced onion, possibly a bit of red onion chutney. All in pappy bread.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:41 pm

smitch wrote:I like strong cheddar, sliced, with some Branston pickle on an oven bottom muffin.

I do like an oven bottom muffin. I only discovered them comparitively recently (they sell them in local Sainsbury's). Mr S had never come across them during his youth (he's a Yorkshire boy and they seem to be a Lancashire thing) and being a soft southerner, I'd never heard of them until we moved to the north.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox