Register

The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

Postby mark111757 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Growing up when mum did toasted cheese sammiches, for my bro And I mum used Velveeta. Yeah I know it is not real cheese but it melted very smoothly and was gooey and just delightful. I would not turn it down today. Sliced American cheese is good too. A light spread of mayo or miracle whip salad dressing or room temp butter on the outer surfaces, that face the frying pan. Gives it a nice brown and a bit of crunch.

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 pm

mark111757 wrote:...[clip]... or room temp butter on the outer surfaces, that face the frying pan. Gives it a nice brown and a bit of crunch.

... and greasy fingers :D

I make white bread toast EVOO'd on one side and just lightly toasted the other first, then cheese melted onto the crisp side. I'm happy to agree that my way isn't proper; it just stops the toast getting soggy. (Same if a fried or scrambled egg not cheese is to be plonked on it.)

Toasted brown bread is awful to me, but otherwise best for cheese, although I'd love to try a beigel. Stokey Sue expounded on their superiority in an earlier thread not that long ago. I wonder if I could bribe her to freeze one and post it to me :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 am

That´s the stuff K2C! Pumpernikel. Just a tiny square. It works rather well.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm

:thumbsup KK! Pumpernickel is tasty, I have a feeling you used to be able to get tubes of little round ones for canapes?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:53 pm

KeenCook2 wrote::thumbsup KK! Pumpernickel is tasty, I have a feeling you used to be able to get tubes of little round ones for canapes?

I rember them, haven’t seen them in years

Postby aero280 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:41 pm

I love pumpernickel. I usually grab a slie for breakfast when we're on holiday in Germany. Whenever I've seen it on sale, it only seems to be sliced and in plastic packets of a few slices. Maybe it needs to be kept moist?

I looked at making some, but it was a bit involved, so i haven't tried yet! :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:05 pm

I bought a packet of pumpernickel - the sliced stuff - about 8 slices from the deli last week, Biona 500g, delicious

Went mould very quickly, had to throw the last couple of slices away

I found the "party pumpernickel" - the round cracker sized slices on line, so they still make them

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Sorry you had to chuck the last few slices, Sue, when I used to get the packets from Lidl or wherever I kept it in the fridge. What do you usually eat on it?

Good to know the cracker size is still around :thumbsup

Edited to say I tend to keep bread in the fridge as we don't get through it that quickly, unless the DSs are home.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:52 pm

I actually freeze a lot of bread as I eat very little but it didn't occur to me to refrigerate or freeze the pumpernickel for some reason

I was suing it to make open sandwiches for lunch, or just with a coating of peanut butter as I'm still not eating real butter

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 pm

OOh, I like the idea of it with peanut butter. I can see I'm going to have to order some online if it's available! Actually, maybe the Little Waitrose at the end of the road has it, will ask OH to look next time he's there :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Edited to say I tend to keep bread in the fridge as we don't get through it that quickly, unless the DSs are home.

Keeping bread in the fridge will slow down mould production but it makes it go stale faster.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 am

KeenCook2 wrote:
Edited to say I tend to keep bread in the fridge as we don't get through it that quickly, unless the DSs are home.

I understood that the fridge is not the best place to keep bread - apparently it lasts no longer . I keep all my bread in the freezer and just take out what I want, when I want it.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:44 am

Snap ! :clap

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Well, all I can say is that the bread we do keep in the fridge has only gone mouldy extremely rarely (famous last words :lol: ) - for the most part it works for us :thumbsup

Yes, it does go stale quicker, but unless it's fresh baguette or similar - which we usually eat while it's still fresh and if not I turn it into garlic bread and freeze it - we tend to toast it anyway so it's not a problem. There's often no space in the freezer for a large sliced loaf as they take up so much room.

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:42 pm

A lot of loaves that one buys have mould inhibitors, so the fridge is fine since stale bread equals toast, soup dunking or croutons, even before resorting to breadcrumbs.

If there's freezer room (and I did just defrost mine, yay, think duvet), I make up packets of four bread slices, or if diligent, open-freeze singly.

Due to this thread, being easily influenced lol, I now have half a dozen cheeses from soft to hard, and different bread/rolls, so I ought to manage to make a perfect cheese sandwich from one of them!

Not being a big cheese lover, I envisage much of it landing, well wrapped, in the freezer, but not before I've made the perfect quesadilla also, using one or more of them.

Jarred pickles are on hand, although I've never made acidulated red onion garnish, so that's one to do.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 am

Just thought of another favourite of mine although I don’t make it too often because it’s fiddly to make - Brie and flame grape. These days I occasionally have the Brie and grapes as an afternoon treat.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 am

When I met OH his regular main meal of the day was a Brie and grape baguette. ;)

Postby scullion » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 pm

i wouldn't say it was the perfect one but the cheese sandwich that stands out in my mind is the 'cheese dream' (fried cheese sandwich) that i was introduced to while at a guide camp at a farm in often, near ipswich, when i was eleven. they became rare treats while growing up and then with our children.
i think their place was taken over by the breville and now by a quesadilla.
could a calzone be classed as a cheese sandwich?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:51 pm

At boarding school we sometimes had deep fried cheese sandwiches for breakfast. They were very good indeed!

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Ah yes, red grapes, which I have. So with camembert slightly melted on/in a seedy roll, that's lunch sorted - thanks NLB :) I was wondering as I forgot to buy cucumber which is what I'd normally pair.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox